Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad

Old Dec 17, 2012, 01:52 AM   #1
WhiteIphone5
Banned

Do you take pictures with your iPad?

I'll be driving down to Philly for a football game and well I don't have a digital camera lol and I was thinking about taking pictures with my iPad but I don't want to look stupid. I haven't really taken pics outdoor so I don't know how good the camera is.
For those who do take pics outside, how good are they? Do you feel comfortable holding that big ipad?
Ipad 4th gen btw
WhiteIphone5 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2012, 02:32 AM   #2
racoonboy
macrumors 6502a

yes, you will look stupid holding up your Ipad to take photos. I once saw a dude holding his ipad to take pictures at a concert and he ended up dropping it on da floor. Of course, people stepped on it to the rhythm of music and i dont think Apple to exchange u a new one.

Camera these days are so cheap, its even cheaper than your Ipad 4 smart cases so i suggest get one or use your phone camera.
racoonboy is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2012, 02:43 AM   #3
Hello...
macrumors 6502a

All the time mostly for eBay.
Hello... is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2012, 02:59 AM   #4
Caliber26
macrumors 65816

I see people taking pictures with iPads ALL. DAY. LONG.

I work at Disney World and I'd say 3 out of 10 people are walking around, takin pictures with their iPad. At first it looked crazy but you get used to seeing it. Tablets are a common thing these days so people are reacting less to them.
Caliber26 is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2012, 06:03 AM   #5
jojoba
macrumors 65816

I do it if I'm at a workshop or seminar and I'm taking notes with my iPad, and I want to integrate e.g. a photo of a power point slide or a diagram written on a flip chart into my notes. Then I take a quick snap shot of the slide/diagram and then integrate it into my notes. It's very convenient.
Old Dec 17, 2012, 06:36 AM   #6
virginblue4
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteIphone5 View Post
I'll be driving down to Philly for a football game and well I don't have a digital camera lol and I was thinking about taking pictures with my iPad but I don't want to look stupid. I haven't really taken pics outdoor so I don't know how good the camera is.
For those who do take pics outside, how good are they? Do you feel comfortable holding that big ipad?
Ipad 4th gen btw
You won't look stupid at all. There are a few narrow minded people who have no self confidence to do it themselves who may tell you that you'll look stupid, but you won't. They are generally the same people who ask the question "I like the white iPhone, but I'm worried people will think I'm girly. What should I do?"

If you want to take photos with your iPad, go ahead. I do, admittedly not all the time, but I still do.

iPhone 5S, gold, iOS 7.1
iPad mini with Retina display, silver, iOS 7.1
Late 2012 27" iMac - 3.4GHz i7, 1TB Fusion, 24GB RAM, 680MX 2GB
virginblue4 is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2012, 06:44 AM   #7
Tulani
macrumors 6502

If you stop living life for other people then you might not be bothered ...I think
Tulani is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2012, 07:17 AM   #8
Jessica Lares
macrumors 603

You are better off taking video instead, it'll work much, much better. Especially at a game.
Old Dec 17, 2012, 07:24 AM   #9
TWO2SEVEN
macrumors 68000

I really only use the iPad if I need the iPhone to be in the picture (for example, the "post a picture of your case" thread). The only other time I use the iPad camera is when I am already using the iPad and see something I need to take a picture of.
TWO2SEVEN is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2012, 07:28 AM   #10
AppleWarMachine
macrumors 6502a

No, I think it looks silly

iMac; iPad; iPhone; Apple TV...and whatever's next
AppleWarMachine is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2012, 07:36 AM   #11
loaferkan
macrumors regular

I have taken pictures. It's not a big deal these days. But more than taking pictures , I prefer taking videos with iPad.
loaferkan is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2012, 07:36 AM   #12
Abazigal
macrumors 68020

The photos are surprisingly clear for a 5mp camera (maybe because of the bigger screen?).

If you yourself don't feel stupid, then no one can make you feel it. Trust me, just hold your iPad firmly with both hands and snap away.
Abazigal is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2012, 07:37 AM   #13
SHirsch999
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteIphone5 View Post
Ipad 4th gen btw
While I agree with those that say it is ok to take pictures with it, you need to ask yourself if the potential to damage your iPad (or have it stolen - you will be in Philly) is worth it as opposed to getting a cheap, maybe disposable, digital camera.
SHirsch999 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2012, 07:40 AM   #14
stuaz
macrumors 6502

I remember seeing people at the Olympics this year using iPads as cameras....looks silly but each to there own.

I have used mine but only inside and was for eBay (Photostream onto my mac). I would be more worried about ether dropping it, or storing it somewhere when not taking a photo - a phone/digi camera can go in your pocket....iPad 4...not so much!
stuaz is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2012, 08:52 AM   #15
Geekbabe
macrumors 6502

I take pics with it all the time! iphoto is great for editing on the fly & I can have pics posted on all my social networks in an instant. Why not use all capabilities of a device that you've paid for?
Geekbabe is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2012, 09:25 AM   #16
darngooddesign
macrumors G3

If the choice is between not taking any photos or taking them with the ipad, why wouldn't you take the photos.
Old Dec 17, 2012, 09:34 AM   #17
TJ61
macrumors 6502a

Be careful not to block other people's views while taking your pics.

Regards,
Tom
TJ61 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2012, 09:43 AM   #18
barkomatic
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by virginblue4 View Post
You won't look stupid at all. There are a few narrow minded people who have no self confidence to do it themselves who may tell you that you'll look stupid, but you won't. They are generally the same people who ask the question "I like the white iPhone, but I'm worried people will think I'm girly. What should I do?"

If you want to take photos with your iPad, go ahead. I do, admittedly not all the time, but I still do.
It's not how it looks, but if you bring a large iPad to a game, hold it up to take a pic during the best parts and then block a persons view behind you then you're gonna get told to put it away. I came to watch the event, not your iPad screen.
barkomatic is online now   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2012, 10:14 AM   #19
ucfgrad93
macrumors G5

I don't.
ucfgrad93 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2012, 10:33 AM   #20
big samm
macrumors 6502a

Rarely, but at the same time i could say more than i thought i would.
Old Dec 17, 2012, 11:02 AM   #21
ScottNWDW
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via MSN to ScottNWDW
I work at Disney World and I see people taking pictures with their iPads all the time. It really looks silly to me. They have their arms extended out looking at a screen, other guests are looking at them strangely.

Personally I always felt that the iPad never really needed a rear camera, but the front facing one for facetime is fine. However, as someone else mentioned earlier if you were in a meeting or seminar I could see where taking a picture to incorporate in the notes would be useful.

Then again with Photography being both a hobby and a part of my job, I always felt that phone cameras were inadequate. Although cameras in recent phones like the iPhone/iPad or even the crappy androids have improved to the point they are about as good as the point and click compact digitals that are out there. I prefer an SLR. If I were going on vacation to a place like Disney World I wouldn't want to trust my vacation photos to a camera that is incorporated in a phone. or iPad.

Too each his own then.
Keep Calm and snap away
Old Dec 17, 2012, 11:30 AM   #22
spin.doctor
macrumors newbie

It probably will look sill to a football crowd, but who cares...

As far as bringing the ipad, I would not hesitate. Many NFL stadiums (I am guessing you are going to the linc?) have in house networks you can connect to. For example, at Metlife Stadium, you can connect to their in house open wifi and with their app get live stats, scores, video replays and even watch different angles. The football purists hate this because people are now watching an iphone/ipad rather than the game, but who cares.

So it might serve even more purpose. Just my $0.02.
spin.doctor is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2012, 11:50 AM   #23
AmyK
macrumors member

I don't like taking photos with my iPad... I'll use my iPhone or my real camera. There is no way I would take my iPad to a football game camera or not and I'm a girl and we take everything with us.
Old Dec 17, 2012, 11:52 AM   #24
dukebound85
macrumors P6

nope, i use my iphone or a camera
dukebound85 is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2012, 12:01 PM   #25
TebWeb
macrumors newbie

I used my iPad3 a lot for shooting photos & videos. I provided social media coverage of a few community events, and it worked great for that. I'm seeing more & more people out in the public using iPads to take photos. As others have said, tablets are fairly commonplace now. What I found interesting with crowds reacting to me using an iPad for video was how some had a "gee-whiz" reaction to it. I was told that people would be watching the screen over my shoulder as I shot. The other thing I noticed was that it was hard to get candid crowd reactions---If I was trying to shoot people looking at an exhibit, they would instinctively move out of the way thinking they were blocking my shot (they WERE my shot!). They could see me coming a mile away with the iPad. But for my purpose of uploading instantly to social media, it was the best tool for the job.

I wouldn't worry too much of "looking silly." It's becoming more common now.

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad