Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Visual Media > Digital Photography

Old Dec 17, 2012, 09:45 AM   #1
NYRangers11
macrumors member

Lens gift advice for someone with a Canon 60D

Looking to buy a lens for my Dad who just bought himself the Canon 60D. I believe the 60D came with the 20-200mm kit lens. I was thinking to buy him the 50mm 1.8 or the 40mm 2.8 Stm.

THanks
NYRangers11 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2012, 09:58 AM   #2
Patrick-Photo
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRangers11 View Post
Looking to buy a lens for my Dad who just bought himself the Canon 60D. I believe the 60D came with the 20-200mm kit lens. I was thinking to buy him the 50mm 1.8 or the 40mm 2.8 Stm.

THanks
I think you meant a 18-200. Both the lenses you noted are good to start with. I'd go with the 50 1.8 if he's more in to stills and loves taking portraits and stuff.

I'd go with the 40 2.8 if he's (more) in to video and likes it a bit wider (the 10mm difference equal a 16mm difference on FullFrame).
Patrick-Photo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2012, 10:13 AM   #3
ocabj
macrumors regular

They're two different beasts. I think the 50mm might be the way to go so he has a large aperture lens to do some creative stuff with DoF.

The 40mm STM is a very interesting lens, though. I bought one when it first came out because I wanted to play around with it. I don't really use it much, but it's a nice inexpensive, good quality lens with a fairly large aperture, and is good for walk-around use since it's so small in form factor.

My own take on it from several months ago: http://www.ocabj.net/canon-ef-40mm-f...-pancake-lens/
ocabj is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2012, 02:52 PM   #4
100Teraflops
macrumors 6502a

I agree with the others about the differences with the mentioned lenses, but my 40mm is sharper than my nifty fifty. Maybe it's my particular copies, not sure, if it even matters. Honestly, 10mm is slightly noticeable when comparing 40mm to 50mm. If a person wants to use either lens for portrait work, the 40mm will be a bit tighter.

I like my 40mm more than my nifty fifty. I think the nifty is not very sharp below f/2.2, but it is still usable. The 40mm's auto focus is faster and more accurate than my nifty fifties' auto focus. For what it is worth!

OP, maybe you should ask your dad what he wants to photograph and go from there. You don't have to tell him you are buying a lens, casually ask him what he plans to photograph.
Old Dec 17, 2012, 10:08 PM   #5
OreoCookie
macrumors 68020

I would suggest to either get a 30~35 mm prime (either Sigma's 30 mm f/1.4, my always-on lens, or Canon's 35 mm f/1.8). Or go for a 60 mm macro lens, in particular Tamron's 60 mm f/2: it's almost as fast as a regular prime, but it is a true macro lens. That should give the lucky person a lot more things to try than with a regular lens. Plus, I prefer 60 mm as a focal length for portraits to 50 mm which, IMO feels a bit awkwardly short for a portrait lens.
Old Dec 18, 2012, 05:47 AM   #6
NYRangers11
macrumors member

Thanks for all the advice. I went with the 50mm mostly because of price.
NYRangers11 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Visual Media > Digital Photography