Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Buying Tips and Advice

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Dec 18, 2012, 11:42 AM   #1
crashwins
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Better Hackintosh: Hp Mini 110 or Samsung N310?

I have good options for both..What's preferable? They both seem to get the same on the compatibility charts. Thanks
crashwins is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2012, 12:47 PM   #2
phoenixsan
macrumors 65816
 
phoenixsan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
I have.....

a HP mini 110, mostly for the ocasional Windows-no-so-critical use and for portability in rare cases...With the base 1 GB RAM, the Mini struggles with Windows 7 Ultimate, so for a Hackintosh, would be wise to upgrade the RAM, if that is possible. But no so sure if that is worth it


__________________
Mac Pro 2012 3.06 Westmere version, 12 Core 64 GB RAM, 4 TB , iPhone 5 (black), Moto G 8 GB (black)
phoenixsan is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2012, 01:28 PM   #3
chorner
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Toronto, Canada
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by crashwins View Post
I have good options for both..What's preferable? They both seem to get the same on the compatibility charts. Thanks
Best option: real Mac

Smartassed comment to you maybe, but really. Save yourself the money in the long run. Why not a Mac Mini? They also run Windows.
chorner is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2012, 01:35 PM   #4
js81
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: KY
Quote:
Originally Posted by chorner View Post
Best option: real Mac

Smartassed comment to you maybe, but really. Save yourself the money in the long run. Why not a Mac Mini? They also run Windows.
HP Mini is a laptop (netbook to be specific)... that said, OP have you considered an older Macbook or even a G4 PowerBook? Hackintoshes are loads of troubles and, IMHO, not worth your trouble as a regularly used machine. As a project it'd be fine, though... Again, my opinion.

How about something like this? (And I've seen far cheaper on eBay...)
__________________
Late-09 Mac mini server, 16GB iPad 2, 12" iBook G4
js81 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2012, 02:35 PM   #5
chorner
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Toronto, Canada
 
My mistake js81 - I just assumed by the name of the HP Mini, it'd be a small form-factor desktop computer :P

In that case, I would honestly recommend looking in Apples store under the refurbished section. Great systems, thoroughly checked over and delivered in like-new condition with some decent deals if you're budget conscious. That way you also have some form of warranty as well.
chorner is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2012, 03:22 PM   #6
AnonMac50
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Go for the Samsung. The Intel GMA 3150 in the HP does not work with OS X correctly. It is available as an option on the Samsung, so make sure you get the Intel GMA 950. Having said that, the 950 (and the 3150) is a VERY bad graphics chip, I mean REALLY bad.

Also the Intel Atom CPU may give you problem with anything newer than Snow Leopard. The 1 GB RAM is way too little as well.

I'd say, go for something with at least an i3. Also something with at least 2 GB RAM, if not more. Intel HD 3000 and Intel HD 4000 work with OS X.

AnonMac50
__________________
[Tutorial] Three Finger Drag on Non-supported Multitouch Macs (MAJOR UPDATES!!! (8/7/2013))
Front Row for Lion
Now I know why the maps icon wants you to jump off of a bridge!
AnonMac50 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2012, 09:17 AM   #7
crashwins
Thread Starter
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
I guess I should have prefaced that I've Hackintoshed before -- the HP Mini, actually. It was a pretty capable little machine and the only issue I had with it was the sleep mode. The only reason I sold it was bc I couldn't rationalize the $400 I spent on it. Now, these are just $100 so it's a whole different decision (same with the Samsung Go).

I just want a lightweight Mac-capable machine for road-warrior stuff. The Air is overpriced IMO and I don't need a Macbook..Sure, I could grab a used Intel MB for like $400, but that's a bit risky..

So, all in all, a $100 for a Hackintosh seems like a no-brainer to me. Will it run like a MBP? Of course not - I know that, but for word processing, surfing, and some basic OSX programs I think it would be fine..

My thinking suggests the Samsung Go would be better..Battery life is stronger and it just looks better, but that may be vanity Thanks for the responses!
crashwins is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2012, 01:35 PM   #8
js81
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: KY
Quote:
Originally Posted by crashwins View Post
So, all in all, a $100 for a Hackintosh seems like a no-brainer to me.
For $100, I agree. Just get it setup and make a disk image; that way if things go sideways, you can simply restore it with said image. Have fun!
__________________
Late-09 Mac mini server, 16GB iPad 2, 12" iBook G4
js81 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2012, 02:29 PM   #9
AnonMac50
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by crashwins View Post
I guess I should have prefaced that I've Hackintoshed before -- the HP Mini, actually. It was a pretty capable little machine and the only issue I had with it was the sleep mode. The only reason I sold it was bc I couldn't rationalize the $400 I spent on it. Now, these are just $100 so it's a whole different decision (same with the Samsung Go).

I just want a lightweight Mac-capable machine for road-warrior stuff. The Air is overpriced IMO and I don't need a Macbook..Sure, I could grab a used Intel MB for like $400, but that's a bit risky..

So, all in all, a $100 for a Hackintosh seems like a no-brainer to me. Will it run like a MBP? Of course not - I know that, but for word processing, surfing, and some basic OSX programs I think it would be fine..

My thinking suggests the Samsung Go would be better..Battery life is stronger and it just looks better, but that may be vanity Thanks for the responses!
I think the Samsung may be a better choice now. Just beware of which GPU you get.
__________________
[Tutorial] Three Finger Drag on Non-supported Multitouch Macs (MAJOR UPDATES!!! (8/7/2013))
Front Row for Lion
Now I know why the maps icon wants you to jump off of a bridge!
AnonMac50 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Buying Tips and Advice

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Considering a hackintosh and selling my mini roxics Mac mini 34 May 9, 2014 07:47 AM
Mac Mini vs Hackintosh? AppleFanBoy91 Buying Tips and Advice 23 Mar 19, 2014 10:10 AM
iPad Mini: Is the retina screen on the new mini really worth 110? Lexical iPad 26 Nov 6, 2013 01:25 AM
Mac Mini or Hackintosh? kuwistar Mac mini 9 Nov 15, 2012 07:35 PM
A little help. Mac Mini or Hackintosh? allyc31 Buying Tips and Advice 7 Oct 26, 2012 11:55 PM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:18 AM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC