Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Apple TV and Home Theater

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Dec 17, 2012, 12:16 PM   #1
GarrettL1979
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Blu Ray/HandBrake on iPad 2

I've been meaning to ask this for a while-- why do iTunes HD videos play on older iPads and iPhones (2s and 4s), while blu ray HB M4Vs don't? I've always selected the ATV3 preset within HB. Perhaps that's the problem.
GarrettL1979 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2012, 12:30 PM   #2
jdblas69
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
The HB presents are designed for optimal settings for the device you will view them on. However it should not prevent the movie from not playing at all.

Are you adding the movies to the device (iPad) or trying to share via itunes/homesharing?
jdblas69 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2013, 09:22 AM   #3
GarrettL1979
Thread Starter
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdblas69 View Post
The HB presents are designed for optimal settings for the device you will view them on. However it should not prevent the movie from not playing at all.

Are you adding the movies to the device (iPad) or trying to share via itunes/homesharing?
Sorry for delayed response. I've tried to view our Blu Ray rips on my iPad 2 through home sharing. These ATV3 HB encodes do not even show up as options in our shared library within the iPad 2-- only the DVD rips.

On a side note, I have an iPhone 5, and the files show up in the shared library and play fine on it.
GarrettL1979 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2013, 09:28 AM   #4
Pyromonkey83
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: May 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by GarrettL1979 View Post
Sorry for delayed response. I've tried to view our Blu Ray rips on my iPad 2 through home sharing. These ATV3 HB encodes do not even show up as options in our shared library within the iPad 2-- only the DVD rips.

On a side note, I have an iPhone 5, and the files show up in the shared library and play fine on it.
if they are 1080p files with a high bitrate or are files without an AC3 track they will not play on older iDevices. If you are using the ATV3 HB setting you should have 2 audio tracks, so I'm assuming it would be the high bitrate.

You will be able to play any of your files if you either use the ATV2 preset, or if you lower the bitrate of your files. You can do this either by adjusting the CQ slider if you use that, or by lowering the bitrate amount if you do Variable Bit Rate encodes.
Pyromonkey83 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2013, 02:14 PM   #5
GarrettL1979
Thread Starter
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyromonkey83 View Post
if they are 1080p files with a high bitrate or are files without an AC3 track they will not play on older iDevices. If you are using the ATV3 HB setting you should have 2 audio tracks, so I'm assuming it would be the high bitrate.

You will be able to play any of your files if you either use the ATV2 preset, or if you lower the bitrate of your files. You can do this either by adjusting the CQ slider if you use that, or by lowering the bitrate amount if you do Variable Bit Rate encodes.
Once again, thanks! I was hoping to avoid having to encode files twice. I don't really use my iPad for video that often, so it's not that big of a deal. I was more just curious why iTunes HD videos will play on it, but handbrake ATV3 encodes will not.
GarrettL1979 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2013, 04:41 PM   #6
lunaoso
macrumors 65816
 
lunaoso's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: New England, USA
I've found that I can't play 1080p files at all even from iTunes over homesharing on either my 4S or iPad 1. Not sure what the problem is, but either way it isn't anything to do with what you are doing currently, maybe an iOS problem? An expert would probably give you a definitive answer.
lunaoso is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2013, 08:35 AM   #7
GarrettL1979
Thread Starter
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by lunaoso View Post
I've found that I can't play 1080p files at all even from iTunes over homesharing on either my 4S or iPad 1. Not sure what the problem is, but either way it isn't anything to do with what you are doing currently, maybe an iOS problem? An expert would probably give you a definitive answer.
Yeah, the 1080P files won't play on my iPad 2 or old iPhone 4 over home sharing either. I had to download one of the iTunes HD movies from Purchased directly to my iPad 2 in order for it to work.
GarrettL1979 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Apple TV and Home Theater

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:47 PM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC