Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Apple TV and Home Theater

Old Dec 19, 2012, 10:04 AM   #1
biosci
macrumors 6502

Do you need to have a 3D capable Receiver to Match With A 3D TV?

Or can you simply go from bluray -> TV then Audio Out of TV to Receiver? Or is it always better to use the Receiver as an HDMI Switcher?
biosci is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2012, 10:47 AM   #2
pavelbure
macrumors 6502a

My ps3 is set up so that optical audio goes to the receiver and hdmi goes straight to the tv.
pavelbure is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2012, 12:03 PM   #3
MathRulz
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by biosci View Post
Or can you simply go from bluray -> TV then Audio Out of TV to Receiver? Or is it always better to use the Receiver as an HDMI Switcher?
Some 3d blue ray players have two hdmi out--one to tv for 3d video, one to receiver for audio--for those who do not want to upgrade the receiver to 3d at this time.
Old Dec 19, 2012, 12:23 PM   #4
biosci
macrumors 6502

Okay, that's what I was wondering as I didn't want to have to do the receiver as well to save some money for now. But I do see myself probably upgrading it in the future.

Thanks!
biosci is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2012, 01:00 PM   #5
bbeagle
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by biosci View Post
You simply need a BluRay 3D player and a 3D TV. You don't need a 3D receiver to pay 3D blu-ray discs.

You MUST have a BluRay 3D player, not a normal BluRay player.
bbeagle is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2012, 01:07 PM   #6
whooleytoo
macrumors 603

Send a message via AIM to whooleytoo
Not sure about Bluray, but I was able to play 3D (side-by-side) movies from my ATV - via an old HDMI switch and an old AV receiver - no problem.

However, when playing 3D games on the 360, I had to bypass the HDMI switch and receiver so the HDMI went straight to the TV and the optical audio to the receiver; which made switching between the 360 and other devices more awkward (need to switch the AV receiver's input for the audio and the TV's input for the video).

I never actually tested 3D on the 360 when connected via the switch & receiver, but everything I read online said it wouldn't work unless both support 3D.

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Apple TV and Home Theater