Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Mac and PC Games

Old Dec 17, 2012, 02:23 PM   #1
pahpahpah
macrumors newbie

what upgrades do i need for macbook pro?

What are the major upgrades I need to make for the Macbook pro 13" (from around 2009) to play the majority of modern games available such as Forge, Assassin's Creed 2, Borderlands 2 and so on smoothly?
pahpahpah is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2012, 03:53 PM   #2
LaymansDomain
macrumors member

I found this while randomly browsing. http://www.game-debate.com/games/ind...orderlands%202
If you scroll down to the part where it says "CAN I RUNBorderlands 2" input your specs and see if you are able to run it and then you might be able to go from there.

Also if there are other EA games you can use this link to check http://www.game-debate.com/can-I-run/?EA
LaymansDomain is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2012, 04:33 PM   #3
chrisrosemusic1
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via MSN to chrisrosemusic1
It depends which MBP you are looking at? The 13" can't really game, well not unless you like playing games on low resolutions with hardly any settings on.

15" with the 512mb card will get you better performance, but you'll want at least a 1gb card in your machine to get medium - high settings on any new games.
Old Dec 18, 2012, 06:34 AM   #4
edddeduck
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by pahpahpah View Post
What are the major upgrades I need to make for the Macbook pro 13" (from around 2009) to play the majority of modern games available such as Forge, Assassin's Creed 2, Borderlands 2 and so on smoothly?
The MacBookPro 13" 2009 has a NV 9400 integrated graphics card. You can get 8GB of RAM for your laptop which will improve things but overall your machine is under the minimum specification for all 3 games you mention. Your graphics card is not a dedicated card (it shares RAM with your OS) it also is underpowered for modern gaming, those two things combined mean running modern games like the ones you listed will not be possible.

The 13" MacBookPro always ships with a shared RAM solution that is not great for gaming, if you want a laptop that can run modern games you should look at the 15" model as it comes with a dedicated card.

I checked the specs to be sure and all 3 games are definitely not supported on your MacBookPro and you will not be able to upgrade your MacBookPro to fix this as the graphics card is built into the machine and not upgradeable.

Borderlands 2 - http://store.steampowered.com/app/49520/
Assassins Creed 2 http://store.steampowered.com/app/33230/
Forge - - http://store.steampowered.com/app/223390/
edddeduck is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2012, 09:20 AM   #5
rabidz7
Banned

Location: Isla De Juventud, south Havana provence, Cincinnati Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by pahpahpah View Post
a vi dock would be nice. it is an external video card.
rabidz7 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2012, 05:32 AM   #6
arashb
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabidz7 View Post
a vi dock would be nice. it is an external video card.
I think only the 17" come with expresscard slots.
arashb is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2012, 06:28 AM   #7
iMacFarlane
macrumors 65816

Okay, I'll say it.

Why spend hundreds of dollars upgrading your Mac to still be underpowered for these games? Why spend thousands of dollars getting a new Mac capable of running these games properly?

Spend about $300 for an Xbox, plop your ass in your recliner, put your feet up, and game on your 4 foot wide television using your wireless controller. Those games are guaranteed to have satisfactory framerates, and you'll save bundles.

Just sayin' . . .

MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Mac and PC Games