Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion

Old Jan 26, 2013, 12:21 PM   #1
Squilly
macrumors 68000

App-Controlled Blinds

After doing a bit of browsing on http://kickstarter.com/ I felt the need to think of something unheard of before. My conclusion: remote controlled blinds. The reason for this thread is to get some opinions from other people, polled as a small sample of the general public. The blinds would be controlled via an app, or completely automatic when the sun rises and sets to let natural light flow in and block it from coming in. The idea is very new and after a quick Google search, I haven't seen anything like it on the market.
I was thinking of numerous colors and numerous ways of making it work. Whether it was a slide down type of blind or "open up" with individual blinds controlled by a central panel on top. I've come to ask you - if such a thing were on the market and were reasonably priced, would you buy it?
Let me know in the comments below as I'm taking this idea seriously. Thanks for your input in advance.
Old Jan 26, 2013, 12:41 PM   #2
mobilehaathi
macrumors 68040

I don't mean to rain on your parade, but that is hardly a new idea. By all means though, you should work on it if you're passionate about it.
Old Jan 26, 2013, 06:57 PM   #3
chown33
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squilly View Post
The idea is very new and after a quick Google search, I haven't seen anything like it on the market.
How is it new? When I google remote control blinds I get tons of hits. Motorized blinds, pushbutton operated, battery operated, lots of options.

Controlling a motor from an iPhone app might need little more than a Belkin WeMo. And that's just one example of a home automation device. There are hundreds more, many from specialty sellers like http://smarthome.com/.

If you're serious about developing a product, you need to look at price ranges. There are lots of interesting home automation devices in the $100-$300 range that could really take off if implemented for under $100. And when the price gets into the $39-$79 range, you start getting "impulse buying" from geeks and DIYers looking for a weekend project.
chown33 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2013, 07:12 PM   #4
Jessica Lares
macrumors 603

I have such a hard time using my blinds, so I would love an app like that.

But yeah, it's not a new idea, but it's not like mainstream either.
Old Jan 26, 2013, 08:14 PM   #5
Squilly
macrumors 68000

I checked Smarthome.com and didn't see any app-based systems. And wouldn't be DIY.
Old Jan 27, 2013, 09:26 AM   #6
rdowns
macrumors Penryn

Remote blinds have been around for years. They are still quite high end and many can be controlled by iPhone/iPad.

Keep trying Mr. Squilly.
rdowns is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27, 2013, 09:51 AM   #7
James Craner
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squilly View Post
I checked Smarthome.com and didn't see any app-based systems. And wouldn't be DIY.
1st Page of Google search - example

Just because they have already been invented, does not mean that you could not come up with something that you could sell. First you need to come up with something that is better than existing competition, then find out if there is enough of a market to make it viable.

Apple would have never invented the iPod if they could not think of a way to make a product better than existing MP3 players. Ditto Smartphone > iPhone.

MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion