Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Dec 17, 2012, 04:16 PM   #101
Terrin
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by nfl46 View Post
I wonder if the final version of 6.1 will have map improvements, but just haven't been put in the Betas. From the looks of it, we'll have to wait until iOS 7 for transit directions, etc. Sigh.

In all honestly, Apple's current method of handing this is great. For instance, you can Apple's Maps App use any third party transit App you want, including Google's.
Terrin is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2012, 04:16 PM   #102
Heb 7:4
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by kas23 View Post
I dunno, these sales look very inaccurate. Google Maps gets 10 million downloads in 2 days, but only shows up in the Top 10 of a few random countries. I would have at least expected it to crack the Top 10 in every country (not just Greece, Luxembourg, Switzerland, Ireland, New Zealand, and Australia). Maybe these Top lists are based on staggered weeks.
It's number one in the UK. Apple maps is absolute dog***** here. Google maps is quality. So so happy to have it back.

Also, as a side note, I noticed a minor error 2 days ago. A house I was looking was in the wrong place by 4 houses. Did the shake to report, and it was fixed today.

Just brilliant
Heb 7:4 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2012, 04:18 PM   #103
applefanDrew
macrumors 65816

I don't want google crap on my iPhone/iPad.
applefanDrew is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2012, 04:18 PM   #104
Terrin
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by samcraig View Post
I never said anything about use. I said 10M downloads in 48 hours is impressive.

X number of people download lots of apps in the appstore only to never use them - that doesn't make the download count any less significant.
I will admit it sounds impressive, but I don't have anything to compare it to.
Old Dec 17, 2012, 04:19 PM   #105
Qfic
macrumors member

Google maps > Apple maps
Used it all weekend, no contest really.
Qfic is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2012, 04:20 PM   #106
Terrin
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heb 7:4 View Post
It's number one in the UK. Apple maps is absolute dog***** here. Google maps is quality. So so happy to have it back.

Also, as a side note, I noticed a minor error 2 days ago. A house I was looking was in the wrong place by 4 houses. Did the shake to report, and it was fixed today.

Just brilliant
I will admit the shake to correct feature is cool. Apple hasn't made it super obvious to report errors. Google did have the second mover advantage there though.
Old Dec 17, 2012, 04:21 PM   #107
srxtr
macrumors 6502a

Call me crazy, but I actually prefer Apple maps over Google's. Google Maps voice is a lot more pleasant to listen to than Siri though.
srxtr is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2012, 04:22 PM   #108
teknikal90
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by elgrecomac View Post
Apple makes the best hardware.
Apple makes the best end user OS, regardless of platform.
Apple has the best customer support.
And "the Google" makes the best map app for iOS.

I can live with that.
best hardware - no
best end user os - no....
best customer support - yes.
best map - yes, google.

If I wasn't such a music nerd with a big itunes library i wouldve jumped ship.
the iOS 6 generation sucks
Old Dec 17, 2012, 04:25 PM   #109
Asclepio
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by samcraig View Post
I'd also say that 1 in 10 is pretty significant (based on 100 million) when you consider how many people claim their maps work just fine.
9 of 10 don't use maps
Asclepio is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2012, 04:25 PM   #110
alexN350z
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnny5 View Post
Crappy UI for Google Maps? Seriously? It's easier, faster, and more efficient than Apple Maps.
The Google map rendering is a little bit laggy in my iPhone 5, and Apple map are smoother.

Not sure about your guys.
alexN350z is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2012, 04:26 PM   #111
Tjex
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by unplugme71 View Post
maps.google.com still can't find my house, so no point in downloading it and being a statistic.

I paid 135 people a dollar to submit a request to Google (business expense) to fix this issue. I have also been doing about 4 times a year since maps was released by Google. I'm hoping one day it gets fixed. I also hope when it does, other GPS systems get their data fixed as well.

Maybe I should send a certified letter to resolve this issue once and for all instead of telling customers that my location is about 15 houses further down than were it says.
Have you tried adding it yourself on google.com/mapmaker ?
Doesn't support all countries yet though...
Tjex is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2012, 04:26 PM   #112
Terrin
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalbir4444 View Post
The fact that it has a 4.5 star rating indicates that it is pretty significant.
I strongly disagree. I downloaded the app about fifteen minutes after it was released. There were about 14 thousand reviews at that point, most of them five stars. The problem with that is none of those people actually had time to adequately test the app in that short a time. People were downloading it and giving it a five star rating without testing the app. So while it might be true people love the app, the rankings can't honestly be a reflection of that when people were reviewing the app BEFORE trying it.
Terrin is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2012, 04:27 PM   #113
Lukkee24
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by kas23 View Post
Also don't forget people downloading once but syncing to multiple iOS devices. These would only be counted as 1 download, unlike iOS 6 which requires multiple downloads for multiple devices.
Oh, I didn't realise that .
Lukkee24 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2012, 04:29 PM   #114
denmarkguy
macrumors newbie

Apple vs. Google 0:1

hello mighty Apple, I hope you will take a lesson about doing everything by yourself. Cooperation can be also good thing, even if you won't earn so much $$$. We love you and expect you give us some love and respect in back.
denmarkguy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2012, 04:32 PM   #115
hondo77
macrumors newbie

I Downloaded It...

...and had a chance to use both Apple's maps app and Google's for a trip this weekend. Much to my surprise, I actually preferred Apple's audio turn-by-turn directions to Google's. More testing is needed, to be sure.
hondo77 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2012, 04:33 PM   #116
Jonny Quest
macrumors newbie

I only downloaded it for street view. Google's route wanted to take me 20 minutes out of my way on a 45 minute trip. I'll stick with GPS Drive as I have for the last 4 years. Google does NOT equate to great (not even good).
Jonny Quest is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2012, 04:34 PM   #117
GenesisST
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwdsail View Post
Meh

I downloaded it, hate it just as much as the new Apple Maps.

New Apple Maps - great UI, crappy data.

New Google Maps - crappy UI, great data...

How about you two kids kiss and make up and give us one map app with a great UI and great data? Is that asking to damn much? Really?

And git off my lawn!!!
git: 'off' is not a git command. See 'git --help'.

Did you mean this?
diff
Old Dec 17, 2012, 04:35 PM   #118
coolfactor
macrumors 68000

The only thing that's worrying to me is that Google is providing their own UI design at every level of the app, particularly the fonts. I know that is their right, but going away from the "iOS standard" in this area is what will make iOS a mess in the future. They should maintain at least some adherence to the look-and-feel of the platform they are running on. On a positive note, they are sticking to a very high standard and clean design (and that's something that Apple gets credit for establishing), but please don't make my iPhone look like an Android phone.
coolfactor is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2012, 04:35 PM   #119
kenypowa
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asclepio View Post
9 of 10 don't use maps
MacRumors should be renamed to MacSpin.

The original article is laughable at its logic.

By comparing an app download vs system update, the author somehow deducts most users prefer Apple Maps. Seriously?

The most accurate comparison should compare Google Maps and every other app in the appstore. Chances are there are way more Google Maps downloads in the first 48 hours than any other app ever released. Do we have a figure of the app download times in the entire appstore?
kenypowa is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2012, 04:35 PM   #120
dalbir4444
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrin View Post
I strongly disagree. I downloaded the app about fifteen minutes after it was released. There were about 14 thousand reviews at that point, most of them five stars. The problem with that is none of those people actually had time to adequately test the app in that short a time. People were downloading it and giving it a five star rating without testing the app. So while it might be true people love the app, the rankings can't honestly be a reflection of that when people were reviewing the app BEFORE trying it.
True. But in about a week or so, the rating should reflect the app's quality.

TBH though, an hour is really all you need to check out the maps portion of the app since not everybodu has a need for navigation. Also, I saw some 1-star rating on the front page, with the comment being "Google Maps. No Thanks.". But those are just fanboys and there probably aren't too many of those.

I will say that I expect the rating to stay above 4.5, mainly because most of the complaints regarding Apple maps were outside of the states.
dalbir4444 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2012, 04:36 PM   #121
LagunaSol
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr McKay View Post
Define best hardware? There's faster out there, there's also more reliable hardware out there, theres also more reliable hardware out there thats faster.
If we're talking smartphone hardware, I think your points are questionable on all counts, no?
LagunaSol is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2012, 04:36 PM   #122
kenypowa
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrin View Post
yes it is all part of a google conspiracy. They planted 15,000 reviews in the app store.
kenypowa is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2012, 04:39 PM   #123
LagunaSol
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolfactor View Post
They should maintain at least some adherence to the look-and-feel of the platform they are running on.
Perhaps Google doesn't understand the concept of platform-wide look-and-feel?
LagunaSol is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2012, 04:39 PM   #124
dalbir4444
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenypowa View Post
yes it is all part of a google conspiracy. They planted 15,000 reviews in the app store.
More like 20000 now. It's all a conspiracy. Google's been downloading their own applications millions of times.
dalbir4444 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2012, 04:44 PM   #125
Waxhead138
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klae17 View Post
Oh good. Now my phone takes me to Starbucks instead of Dunkin Donuts.
My friend, he have handbag too......
Waxhead138 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion