Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jwm2

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 5, 2012
Over the past couple of weeks i've noticed that iMessages is using up most of my systems memory. This is happening on my imac mid 2011 with 16gb of RAM. Its been updated to mountain lion since the day it came out on the app store. Anyhow iMessages will use upto 12-14gb of ram until i force close it. Which in turn makes my pc run very sluggish with the beach ball popping up even while doing very simple tasks. Any thoughts on how to remedy this? Or should i just not use iMessages on my pc anymore?

funnyboy88

macrumors regular
Jun 18, 2009
Over the past couple of weeks i've noticed that iMessages is using up most of my systems memory. This is happening on my imac mid 2011 with 16gb of RAM. Its been updated to mountain lion since the day it came out on the app store. Anyhow iMessages will use upto 12-14gb of ram until i force close it. Which in turn makes my pc run very sluggish with the beach ball popping up even while doing very simple tasks. Any thoughts on how to remedy this? Or should i just not use iMessages on my pc anymore?

Same problem here, buddy! I have a 2010 iMac with 16 GB. Just came home to see Messages using 13 GB!! Insane!!! This keeps happening.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.