Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > iMac

Old Dec 17, 2012, 03:25 PM   #1
Juste
macrumors newbie

Question New iMac 27" making squeaking sound

Hi

Good news, I just received my new iMac early in Copenhagen, Denmark.

Bad new, it makes a annoying squeaking sound. My best guess is, that is is the 1TB fusion drive (PPLE HDD ST1000DM003) making the sound. The sound is overpowering the fan, but not present when the drive is working hard.

To illustrate i recorded the sound while turning blackmagic disk speed test on and off. You will clearly hear the noise when the test is not running.

Listen to the sound here: https://soundcloud.com/justesen/imac...queaking-noise

Have anyone experienced the same, or have a solution to this problem?

BR
Justesen
Juste is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2012, 03:26 PM   #2
bobright
macrumors 601

Hmm definitely not normal I've got a 1TB fusion and it is dead silent
bobright is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2012, 03:33 PM   #3
WilliamG
macrumors 601

See this thread, - which sounds like the exact same issue:

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1509607

Also see my reply there, which likely pertains to it. If you run something CPU intensive does the sound stop? If so, it's probably the processor entering that C3 state.
Old Dec 17, 2012, 03:40 PM   #4
Juste
macrumors newbie

Correct. If I do something CPU intensive like the CPU speediest the sound stop and I can hear the disk working instead. -if it is the disk making the sound?

I can't too much information in the C3 state issue. Is it fixable or should I try to get a replacement?

Last edited by Juste; Dec 17, 2012 at 03:48 PM.
Old Dec 17, 2012, 04:04 PM   #5
dwarnecke11
macrumors 6502

"Do you hear it? It's a funny squeaking sound!"

Sorry, but it's that time of year
Old Dec 17, 2012, 05:04 PM   #6
WilliamG
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juste View Post
Correct. If I do something CPU intensive like the CPU speediest the sound stop and I can hear the disk working instead. -if it is the disk making the sound?

I can't too much information in the C3 state issue. Is it fixable or should I try to get a replacement?
I don't think a replacement will fix it. Can't say though, since I haven't gotten my iMac yet to compare. You also might be more sensitive to that pitch of sound than other people, too. Your best bet is to go test one in a store. That said, to hear the noise in a busy store you may need to put your ear up against the casing. It's not the hard drive though, I still say. It's either the C3 idling state sound (google C3 whining sound) or the internal power supply. Still sounds like C3 to me.
Old Dec 17, 2012, 05:36 PM   #7
Onimusha370
macrumors 6502

I'm in exactly the same boat, have you tried opening an app that uses the camera? (Photo booth). When the camera is being used it stops without fail. I think our problem is when the CPU is at idle, still looking for a fix...
Onimusha370 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2012, 12:35 AM   #8
Juste
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onimusha370 View Post
I'm in exactly the same boat, have you tried opening an app that uses the camera? (Photo booth). When the camera is being used it stops without fail. I think our problem is when the CPU is at idle, still looking for a fix...
Hi Onimusha370

I can confirm, that turning on the front camera does make the noise stop instantly!?!?! I still hear the HDD work, but no high pitch sound.

It's wierd and very annoying!

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamG View Post
I don't think a replacement will fix it. Can't say though, since I haven't gotten my iMac yet to compare. You also might be more sensitive to that pitch of sound than other people, too. Your best bet is to go test one in a store. That said, to hear the noise in a busy store you may need to put your ear up against the casing. It's not the hard drive though, I still say. It's either the C3 idling state sound (google C3 whining sound) or the internal power supply. Still sounds like C3 to me.
i might be sensitive - but the sound is overpowering the fan and can clearly be heard 5 meters away. Can the C3 be that loud?
Old Dec 18, 2012, 12:36 AM   #9
Gelite55
macrumors regular

Exchange it. You spent to much money to tollerate that.
Gelite55 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2012, 12:52 AM   #10
WilliamG
macrumors 601

Quote:
Hi Onimusha370

I can confirm, that turning on the front camera does make the noise stop instantly!?!?! I still hear the HDD work, but no high pitch sound.

It's wierd and very annoying!

----------

i might be sensitive - but the sound is overpowering the fan and can clearly be heard 5 meters away. Can the C3 be that loud?
I can't say. It depends how sensitive you are to it, potentially. Can you test an iMac in a store by putting your ear to it?

Also, what processor did both of you in this thread with issues buy?
Old Dec 18, 2012, 12:57 AM   #11
12dylan34
macrumors 6502a

Sounds like a speaker issue that I had in my old MacBook Pro. Even when the sound was one mute, the right speaker would make a noise just like that. Not to say that that's what you issue is, but just throwing that out there.

I would get it exchanged. You paid for a premium product. Expect perfection.
12dylan34 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2012, 01:05 AM   #12
Onimusha370
macrumors 6502

I've got the 2.9ghz i5, base 27 with fusion
Old Dec 18, 2012, 01:31 AM   #13
Onimusha370
macrumors 6502

Just listening to it some more, it sounds like the noise at the dentists, when you're having a 'scale and polish'. The sound of metal, scraping on teeth. Not nice
Onimusha370 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2012, 01:40 AM   #14
WilliamG
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onimusha370 View Post
Just listening to it some more, it sounds like the noise at the dentists, when you're having a 'scale and polish'. The sound of metal, scraping on teeth. Not nice
Hey,

Download this and tell me if the sound goes away when this is running. If it does, it really is the C3 idle issue..

http://www.macupdate.com/app/mac/23935/cputest
Old Dec 18, 2012, 01:51 AM   #15
Juste
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12dylan34 View Post
Sounds like a speaker issue that I had in my old MacBook Pro. Even when the sound was one mute, the right speaker would make a noise just like that. Not to say that that's what you issue is, but just throwing that out there.

I would get it exchanged. You paid for a premium product. Expect perfection.
I will get it exchanged, if it is not easy fixable!

Quote:
I can't say. It depends how sensitive you are to it, potentially. Can you test an iMac in a store by putting your ear to it?

Also, what processor did both of you in this thread with issues buy?
I got 27" 3.2GHz Quad-core Intel Core i5, Turbo Boost up to 3.6GHz, 1 TB fusion drive

Quote:
Hey,

Download this and tell me if the sound goes away when this is running. If it does, it really is the C3 idle issue..

Alright I'll try.
Old Dec 18, 2012, 01:52 AM   #16
iMcLovin
macrumors 65816

Man that sucks! - I would replace it instantly!! If there's an annoying sound then they need to fix it. I bought a Wacom cintiq tablet in July, which had a high pitched sound from the cheap led lamps inside the tablet once the USB was connected (probably some cheap components). I refused to keep it, took them 5 months to get the parts to fix it. Last Friday (nearly 6 months after I bought it) I got a proper tablet. If I need to go through the same with apple ill do it. No way I would keep faulty hardware with this price tag. But I certainly hope I won't through the same again on another device
Old Dec 18, 2012, 02:04 AM   #17
Macman45
macrumors G5

I've setup and configured two of the new 21.5's both with Fusion...neither makes the noise. OP: I would get that at least looked at, preferably swapped out.
Old Dec 18, 2012, 02:15 AM   #18
Onimusha370
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Hey,

Thanks for the link mate, I'll try it when I get home tonight
Old Dec 18, 2012, 02:35 AM   #19
hppy29
macrumors 6502

Regardless of what people say, if you are not happy ask for a replacement. Apple can allow you to keep that unit until you get a replacement if you provide your card details and will collect the faulty unit within a few days of the arrival of the replacement unit.

At least report it to Apple so they can build up a log of faults/issues, things will never get fixed if they don't know about them.
hppy29 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2012, 04:02 AM   #20
Juste
macrumors newbie

New iMac replacement on its way from Apple.

I'll keep you posted.
Old Dec 18, 2012, 10:44 AM   #21
Juste
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Hey,

Hi WilliamG

I just ran the CPU test, and the second i pushed start, the noise stopped. When the test was finished, the noise started again!

As i understand it, there is no way to fix this? other than of cause to get a replacement.
Juste is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2012, 11:44 AM   #22
WilliamG
macrumors 601

Quote:
Hi WilliamG

I just ran the CPU test, and the second i pushed start, the noise stopped. When the test was finished, the noise started again!

As i understand it, there is no way to fix this? other than of cause to get a replacement.
There are ways to keep the CPU not idle, but it ups the CPU temperature. Something like this:

https://discussions.apple.com/thread...art=0&tstart=0

Yep, C3 state whine. Yuck.

I'll also say that the reason you may not be seeing too many complaints about this issue is that a lot of people either don't notice it, or have too much other noise in their iMac's vicinity (cars, fans, music etc) which drowns the noise out.

In addition, your replacement will likely (not necessarily definitely - but likely) have the same issue. You'll then have to decide if you can live with it or not... I haven't had a chance to play with my new iMac yet, as I had to leave on a trip, and won't be back till next week. I'll notice immediately if mine exhibits this issue.
Old Dec 18, 2012, 11:44 AM   #23
Onimusha370
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Hi WilliamG

mine did exactly the same, so annoying
Old Dec 18, 2012, 11:54 AM   #24
WilliamG
macrumors 601

OK so it's the CPU idle state causing the issue. Now we need to find out if it's just Core i5 CPUs experiencing the issue, or is it i7 CPUs as well.
Old Dec 18, 2012, 11:58 AM   #25
Overg
macrumors 6502

Dd someone mail apple about it ?
Overg is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > iMac