Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Air

Old Dec 17, 2012, 04:36 PM   #1
RJones
macrumors newbie

Water Damaged - Replacement MBA

My sister spilled a bottle all over her mid-2012 MBA and likely needs a replacement logic board, I/O board and top case. It doesn't cost much more to get a brand new MBA $1049 on sale until tomorrow. The main issue is getting her data back. Would there be any issue with removing the SSD HD from her water-damaged MBA and placing it in the replacement laptop?
RJones is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2012, 04:41 PM   #2
kage207
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJones View Post
My sister spilled a bottle all over her mid-2012 MBA and likely needs a replacement logic board, I/O board and top case. It doesn't cost much more to get a brand new MBA $1049 on sale until tomorrow. The main issue is getting her data back. Would there be any issue with removing the SSD HD from her water-damaged MBA and placing it in the replacement laptop?
Check this out.
http://www.everymac.com/systems/appl...d-storage.html
Old Dec 18, 2012, 11:32 AM   #3
FuNGi
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJones View Post
Since they are both 2012's then they use the same newly designed SSD's. Assuming the first SSD is undamaged then you can literally swap it into the newly purchased one without even needing to copy anything. I've done this with 2010 MBP's for instance. You can then sell the removed new SSD on ebay or use it in an external enclosure (for sale by OWC).

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Air