Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPod touch

Old Dec 17, 2012, 07:00 PM   #1
Psycna
macrumors member

iTunes doesn't show the battery percentage?!

Old Dec 17, 2012, 07:46 PM   #2
Plutonius
macrumors 601

The battery percentage is not shown on an iPod Touch.
Plutonius is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2012, 09:28 PM   #3
Androidfan1x
macrumors regular

for some (stupid) reason apple does not enable feature "battery percentage" on the ipod touch even though the iphone (and ipad) has it. you can still use voiceover and tap on the battery icon and it will read out lout how much battery power you have left
Androidfan1x is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2012, 02:49 AM   #4
100Teraflops
macrumors 6502a

I hope the mothership updates this soon. I'd rather see numbers than a 1980's bar diagram.
Old Dec 18, 2012, 03:08 AM   #5
Androidfan1x
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 100Teraflops View Post
I hope the mothership updates this soon. I'd rather see numbers than a 1980's bar diagram.
Apple will never give us an update for battery percentage on ipod touch.
Old Dec 18, 2012, 04:32 AM   #6
Jsameds
macrumors 6502a

You can get battery percentage if you jailbreak and install SBSettings
Jsameds is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2012, 03:41 PM   #7
rjalda100
macrumors member

It's not supposed to.
Old Dec 18, 2012, 03:52 PM   #8
burgundyyears
macrumors 6502

You can get the battery percentage on a touch if you modify a configuration file - no jailbreak needed. I don't have the thread here handy though. I did it on my original 4G touch and it sticks across device restores.

ETA: This may or may not still work: http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1020968

Last edited by burgundyyears; Dec 18, 2012 at 06:42 PM.
burgundyyears is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2012, 03:58 PM   #9
100Teraflops
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jsameds View Post
You can get battery percentage if you jailbreak and install SBSettings
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjalda100 View Post
It's not supposed to.
Why do I have to jailbreak a device to have such feature?

Why not? What are the 'standards' that all iPods must follow? Not necessarily directed at Jsameds or rjaida, but more of a rhetorical question.

iPods cost just as much as iPhones, so why are iPods watered down? A dated processor and graphics chip are an upgrade when compared to the Fourth Generation iPod, but what about when compared to an iPhone or Android device? Maybe I'm making noise here, speaking out of turn, but the mothership must be informed that we can't be duped all of the time.

EDIT: burgundy, I was replyng to this thread when you replied. Thanks for the info! I will try this soon.

Last edited by 100Teraflops; Dec 18, 2012 at 04:00 PM. Reason: Add Comment
100Teraflops is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2012, 05:03 PM   #10
Yujenisis
macrumors 6502

Send a message via AIM to Yujenisis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Androidfan1x View Post
Apple will never give us an update for battery percentage on ipod touch.
Never? Just because they haven't yet doesn't mean they never will.

I certainly agree this feature is silly to not include at this point. But never is a strong statement.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by 100Teraflops View Post
iPods cost just as much as iPhones, so why are iPods watered down? A dated processor and graphics chip are an upgrade when compared to the Fourth Generation iPod, but what about when compared to an iPhone or Android device?
iPods most certainly do not cost as much as iPhones.

iPhones cost considerably more than an iPod touch, when you factor in the $200-400 dollars in subsidies that the iPhone gets from various carriers.

That said, I think it's pretty odd and silly they haven't included this fairly standard feature on the iPod touches.

I'd be curious to see how well the hardware of the iPod touch compares to Android models. Android models are all over the place in terms of hardware, but I don't know where the iPod touch would fall in that continuum.
Yujenisis is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2012, 06:48 PM   #11
Androidfan1x
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yujenisis View Post
Never? Just because they haven't yet doesn't mean they never will.

I certainly agree this feature is silly to not include at this point. But never is a strong statement
i believe this is some kind of rule at apple, the "rule" is basically ipod touch doesn't have battery percentage, iphone and ipad do, reason? i don't know, maybe they do that so when your friends look at your ipod/iphone they know that's an iphone or an ipod right away, before i even thought they do this because they know the battery life on ipod touch is not as good as iphone, they don't want us to see the battery percentage decreases quickly, but i think i was wrong, because i'm getting pretty good battery life on my touch 5

oh this is funny, in the ipod touch user guide from apple, it says you can go to "settings->general->usage" you can "display battery level as a percentage" https://discussions.apple.com/servle...0/IMG_0096.PNG [btw this is from apple support communities]
Old Dec 18, 2012, 07:31 PM   #12
100Teraflops
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Androidfan1x View Post
i believe this is some kind of rule at apple, the "rule" is basically ipod touch doesn't have battery percentage, iphone and ipad do, reason? i don't know, maybe they do that so when your friends look at your ipod/iphone they know that's an iphone or an ipod right away, before i even thought they do this because they know the battery life on ipod touch is not as good as iphone, they don't want us to see the battery percentage decreases quickly, but i think i was wrong, because i'm getting pretty good battery life on my touch 5

oh this is funny, in the ipod touch user guide from apple, it says you can go to "settings->general->usage" you can "display battery level as a percentage" https://discussions.apple.com/servle...0/IMG_0096.PNG [btw this is from apple support communities]
Good find! Hopefully something is in the works.
Old Dec 18, 2012, 07:32 PM   #13
Androidfan1x
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by burgundyyears View Post
You can get the battery percentage on a touch if you modify a configuration file - no jailbreak needed. I don't have the thread here handy though. I did it on my original 4G touch and it sticks across device restores.

ETA: This may or may not still work: http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1020968
i tried this and got the battery percentage, but the fake carrier name did not work, i guess the 2nd post in this thread is right. thanks a lot burgundyyears, now i can turn off tripple tap home button voiceover.

does anyone know any other tweaks changing the code in the file in the backup using ibackupbot like this battery percentage tweak?

Last edited by Androidfan1x; Dec 18, 2012 at 08:44 PM.
Old Dec 18, 2012, 07:42 PM   #14
100Teraflops
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yujenisis View Post

iPods most certainly do not cost as much as iPhones.

iPhones cost considerably more than an iPod touch, when you factor in the $200-400 dollars in subsidies that the iPhone gets from various carriers.

That said, I think it's pretty odd and silly they haven't included this fairly standard feature on the iPod touches.

I'd be curious to see how well the hardware of the iPod touch compares to Android models. Android models are all over the place in terms of hardware, but I don't know where the iPod touch would fall in that continuum.
I said just as much, but I know what you mean. If we include used devices than my opinion is still sound. Nonetheless, it is silly that something relatively simple can't be include in an iPod touches' iOS. As far as Android including this feature or excluding other oddities, I'm not sure, because I have no experience with such devices. I'm glad that people do though. That way there is a foundation for apple to apple comparisons, so to speak.

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPod touch