Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Old Dec 17, 2012, 07:07 PM   #1
mdwsta4
macrumors 6502a

iPhone 5 - Dust and dead pixels

Taking a picture today I noticed what looked like sensor dust on my iphone. At first I thought perhaps it was lint, a smudge, or maybe a dried rain drop. After thorough cleaning, it was still there! Is it possible that there's sensor dust? Odder still is that I haven't noticed it until now and I've had one since released. I would hope there's not space enough around the lens to allow dust in like a DSLR or other ILC.

Anyone else encounter this problem?

While doing some testing, I also noticed what appeared to be a cluster of dead/stuck pixels. They don't look like a typical dead/stuck pixel, at least nothing I'm used to on a camera, but it's noticeable in photos.

Here is an example of both
mdwsta4 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2012, 07:13 PM   #2
itjw
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdwsta4 View Post
Taking a picture today I noticed what looked like sensor dust on my iphone. At first I thought perhaps it was lint, a smudge, or maybe a dried rain drop. After thorough cleaning, it was still there! Is it possible that there's sensor dust? Odder still is that I haven't noticed it until now and I've had one since released. I would hope there's not space enough around the lens to allow dust in like a DSLR or other ILC.

Anyone else encounter this problem?

While doing some testing, I also noticed what appeared to be a cluster of dead/stuck pixels. They don't look like a typical dead/stuck pixel, at least nothing I'm used to on a camera, but it's noticeable in photos.

Here is an example of both

Return it. They will give you a working model.

Apple is great when rare stuff like this happens.
itjw is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2012, 07:14 PM   #3
Jalopybox
macrumors 6502a

Yeah, I have seen at least 5 phones with this prob. Apple will replace it no problem.
Jalopybox is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2012, 07:22 PM   #4
mdwsta4
macrumors 6502a

I'll call up the Apple store to ensure they have replacements. Downside, of course, is that I'll have to order new skins. Hate having to do that.
mdwsta4 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2012, 07:43 PM   #5
kendu2412
macrumors regular

My iPhone 5 got alot than you , just took it to Apple Store yesterday and they replaced for me a brand new one( not refurbished )

Just tell them you want to check serial number before they open the box for replacement iPhone. If you check and pop up : PLEASE ACTIVE YOUR IPHONE ...... That will be brand new

If checked and see that is activated . That will be refurbished

Link: https://selfsolve.apple.com/agreementWarrantyDynamic.do
kendu2412 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2012, 07:55 PM   #6
Jordan921
macrumors 68030

Yea they'll replace that without a problem.
Old Dec 20, 2012, 01:24 PM   #7
b0bab0i
macrumors regular

Same happened to my phone, I'm gonna bring it in for a swap.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	1.75 MB
ID:	384823  
b0bab0i is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2012, 04:17 PM   #8
unknownbeing
macrumors 6502

I have both dust and chips under my lens. I also have dead pixels and if I push down on the left side of the screen it clicks.
Old Dec 20, 2012, 04:30 PM   #9
pnoyblazed
macrumors 6502a

I have one small spec of dust in the camera housing.. however, it does not impact my photos. If it gets worse, I will definitely get it checked out
pnoyblazed is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone