Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tedesco24

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 4, 2010
This is probably a basic question but here goes. I'm thinking of getting an Apple TV for Christmas.

My goal is to:
1. Rip some of my daughter's DVD's, like Boz the Bear and Elmo, onto my MacBook Pro
2. Hook the Apple TV up to the TV in her playroom
3. Stream the DVD from the MBP onto the TV in the playroom.

Is this possible?
If so, what is the degree of difficulty?
Does my MBP need to constantly be turned on so that she can use the Apple TV remote to have access to her DVD collection stored on my MBP?

I have found some network TV apps for watching TV on my iPhone. Does the Apple TV support these apps as well...for instance, can I turn on the TV in the playroom, open the ABC Player app and start watching episodes of "The Middle"?
If not, can I start watching "The Middle" on my iPhone and have it projected on the TV in the playroom?
How many devices can "feed" the Apple TV? My iPhone, MBP and iPad?

blueroom

macrumors 603
Feb 15, 2009
Toronto, Canada
Easy, use Handbrake to rip them. It'll probably ask you to install a runtime VLC client, that's okay.

Set it up for ATV2 or 3 depending on which one you have.

Rushli0n

macrumors regular
Aug 27, 2012
This is probably a basic question but here goes. I'm thinking of getting an Apple TV for Christmas.

My goal is to:
1. Rip some of my daughter's DVD's, like Boz the Bear and Elmo, onto my MacBook Pro

Is this possible?
Does my MBP need to constantly be turned on so that she can use the Apple TV remote to have access to her DVD collection stored on my MBP?

I have found some network TV apps for watching TV on my iPhone. Does the Apple TV support these apps as well...for instance, can I turn on the TV in the playroom, open the ABC Player app and start watching episodes of "The Middle"?
If not, can I start watching "The Middle" on my iPhone and have it projected on the TV in the playroom?

It's quite easy to setup. Rip the disc using Handbrake, add metadata using Subler (if you want) and import them into your iTunes library.

Your MBP will need to be turned on in order to use Home Sharing. My MB sleeps though and the connection still works.

As far as the apps go, that is hit or miss. You need to investigate if the app supports AirPlay. If it does, then you are all set. I don't know of a definitive list that shows all the ones that support AirPlay or not.

I don't know if there is a limit to how many devices can feed an ATV, but it should handle your iPhone, iPad an MBP just fine.

Hope that helps.

From A Buick 8

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2010
Ky Close to CinCinnati

My goal is to:

Is this possible? ?

Like others have said yes very easy to do. i use a program called RipIt to rip the DVD to my iMac, then i dump several into Handbrake and let it work through them over night.

Then i use a program called identify to add the metadata (artwork, actors, Description etc...) and export to iTunes (iDentify does the export).

Yes it needs to be on (iTunes needs to be running), but it can be asleep

Again like others have said it depends on the app and if it will suport Video through airplay. You also might be able to mirror to your ATV with your iPhone 4s or greater.

chriscl

macrumors 6502
Jan 4, 2008
Stuttgart, Germany
I use iVI Pro, which will not only rip DVDs, but will also download the associated metadata and artwork, and then add the file to iTunes, all automatically. I just pop in a disk, set it going and leave it to it - it's an easy way to go if you want an (almost) completely "hands off" solution.

KylePowers

macrumors 68000
Mar 5, 2011
MakeMKV to rip --> Handbrake to convert --> iDentify (or subler) to add meta data --> add to iTunes (iDentify can do this step automatically) --> setup home sharing --> stream to Apple TV --> Success!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.