Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPod touch

Old Dec 20, 2012, 03:49 AM   #1
Blackberryroid
Banned

Damaged back, repair possible?

I have this iPod with me, the most lovely little music player ever. When I looked at it's back, a mysterious dent appeared. A major one. It's big, but not big enough to damage the internal components. It looks hideous. Disgusting. Horrible.

I need the back replaced. I got the white version, and I've always wanted to get the blue one so I guess that's possible too with the replacement (right?). So, is it possible to have the back replaced (not the whole thing, just the back). How much would the repair be?

Last edited by Blackberryroid; Dec 20, 2012 at 06:03 AM.
Blackberryroid is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2012, 04:15 AM   #2
racoonboy
macrumors 6502a

dude, i assume u have 5th gen. If you just bought it then u can obviously have it returned because of the defect without having to pay nothing.
racoonboy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2012, 04:55 AM   #3
Brian Y
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackberryroid View Post
I have this iPod with me, the most lovely little music player ever. When I looked at it's back, a mysterious dent appeared. A major one. It's big, but not big enough to damage the internal components. It looks hideous. Disgusting. Horrible.

I need the back replaced. I got the white version, and I've always wanted to get the blue one so I guess that's possible too with the replacement (right?). So, is it possible? If you already did it, how much was it?
No - you can only swap it for the same colour.

Quote:
Originally Posted by racoonboy View Post
dude, i assume u have 5th gen. If you just bought it then u can obviously have it returned because of the defect without having to pay nothing.
How on earth does him denting his iPod make it defective?
Brian Y is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2012, 05:53 AM   #4
Jsameds
macrumors 6502a

You damaged it, you pay for it.

To try to pass it off as defective is nothing short of deception.
Jsameds is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2012, 06:05 AM   #5
Blackberryroid
Banned

Quote:
I did say "Aluminum back", didn't I? It's definitely 5th gen.

----------

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by bma View Post
No - you can only swap it for the same colour.

How on earth does him denting his iPod make it defective?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jsameds View Post
You damaged it, you pay for it.

To try to pass it off as defective is nothing short of deception.
Maybe I wasn't specific enough when I said replacement. I didn't want a whole new thing, I just want a new back. A blue, new back. Of course I'd pay for it.
Blackberryroid is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2012, 01:01 PM   #6
myrtlebee
macrumors 65816

I always found it funny how people are so elated with the aluminum backing (this is not directed at the OP, just in general). Of course it will dent and scuff and look like crap soon enough. I don't care much for aluminum with mobile Apple devices for this reason. It's silly people complaining about the hairline scratches on the 4th gen and prior iPod Touches. I think scratches on aluminum look worse - especially with colors.

I've dropped a 3rd gen iPod Touch from chest-height onto concrete and all it did was get a pinprick nick on one corner that you really had to look for, no dent. I am a fan of the stainless steel backing. All Apple had to do was give a different texture to it (like the Apple logo that is engraved on the back) to placate people's complaints of scratches.

Anyway. I hope the OP can get his fixed. And smart idea about the blue backing. I just purchased a new iPod shuffle in the same blue and I like it a lot. Thought it would be too "robin's egg blue" or feminine, but it's not.
myrtlebee is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2012, 05:13 PM   #7
salas2324
macrumors member

I read op 3 times. Didn't see any mention of aluminium back lol
salas2324 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPod touch