Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

stuart2102

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 29, 2011
i read some blogs about keeping your mac on speeding up is to know what programs running on you computer close other unnecessary apps and monitor ur activity monitor but i just wanna know on this:

5. Delete unused preference panes. Every now and then we download programs that install preference panes, and then forget all about them. The real problem? Lot’s of these will load in the background at startup. Luckily it should be as easy as a right click to remove. If it’s not you can always manually delete them by going to / Library / PreferencePanes.
A lot of this is probably common sense, but it never hurts to see it spelled out. What tips and tricks have you found help you get the best performance out of your Mac?

Should i empty all files in this folder?

Attachments

• Screen shot 2012-12-18 at 11.40.36 AM.png
    Screen shot 2012-12-18 at 11.40.36 AM.png
    202.9 KB · Views: 144

stuart2102

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 29, 2011
Aside from an SSD (load times are sped up) just sell your old Mac and buy a faster newer Mac.

uhmm my imac still be good and satisfied because still new its more than 1 year yet just wanna ask any comments on this "5. Delete unused preference panes. Every now and then we download programs that install preference panes, and then forget all about them. The real problem? Lot’s of these will load in the background at startup. Luckily it should be as easy as a right click to remove. If it’s not you can always manually delete them by going to / Library / PreferencePanes.
A lot of this is probably common sense, but it never hurts to see it spelled out. What tips and tricks have you found help you get the best performance out of your Mac?"

if i could leaser down those apps running on the background which is not necessary

stuart2102

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 29, 2011
oh yeah wrong folder hehehe sorry i select the "preferences" instead of "PreferencePanes"

Edie Brickell

macrumors member
Apr 22, 2010
Be careful while deleting your items because sometimes it delete your important utility applications and files which causes your Mac to go dead. So it is necessary to check what you delete and have your stuffs backed up always.

greenyoga

macrumors member
Nov 4, 2012
Be careful while deleting your items because sometimes it delete your important utility applications and files which causes your Mac to go dead. So it is necessary to check what you delete and have your stuffs backed up always.

I am the one who always delete the files that can't be deleted,my Mac go dead for several times,but i still can't choose the right file now.

Hexley

Suspended
Jun 10, 2009
Aside from an SSD (load times are sped up) just sell your old Mac and buy a faster newer Mac.

I have to agree. Other than maxing out memory, installing SSD, do a CPU swap there is little else you can do to speed up an iMac further other than sell it.

If ever I do upgrade my base 2007 iMac the most I'd spend on it would be $300. Over that and I may as well sell it and use the proceeds from the sale + $300 towards a base Mac mini or iMac. There are a lot of logicboard-specific I/O that cannot be introduced via simple upgrade.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.