Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Blkant

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 27, 2012
Over the years I have been relying on my 2007 base line iMac for everything, and it wasn't after a long trip that I came back to use it and for the first time noticed a serious screen issue. The monitor turned a deep yellow tint, and on certain colors, anything thats not black or white really, it shows horrible thick vertical lines of a deeper yellow. The more I use it now, I'm finding that its actually screwing with my eyesight even (a bleaching like effect). Maybe its the lack of brightness (which has also seriously decreased it seems) or maybe the color; but it only occurs on my iMac. Not my iPhone, not my TV, not my MBP, etc...

I know little when it comes to monitors sadly, just never was a strong factor for me, however now that I am looking into a 2012 iMac, I cannot help but read up on comments and hear a wide spectrum in details, that often conflict with one another. Ultimately, if I make this transition, what could I expect based on what I know? Are these the same types of monitors? Will these same issues redevelop over the years?

Gelite55

macrumors regular
Dec 12, 2012
Over the years I have been relying on my 2007 base line iMac for everything, and it wasn't after a long trip that I came back to use it and for the first time noticed a serious screen issue. The monitor turned a deep yellow tint, and on certain colors, anything thats not black or white really, it shows horrible thick vertical lines of a deeper yellow. The more I use it now, I'm finding that its actually screwing with my eyesight even (a bleaching like effect). Maybe its the lack of brightness (which has also seriously decreased it seems) or maybe the color; but it only occurs on my iMac. Not my iPhone, not my TV, not my MBP, etc...

I know little when it comes to monitors sadly, just never was a strong factor for me, however now that I am looking into a 2012 iMac, I cannot help but read up on comments and hear a wide spectrum in details, that often conflict with one another. Ultimately, if I make this transition, what could I expect based on what I know? Are these the same types of monitors? Will these same issues redevelop over the years?
Buy a baseline 2012 iMac 21.5". You'll be happy.

Blkant

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 27, 2012
Buy a baseline 2012 iMac 21.5". You'll be happy.

I'm referring to the screen though. What, if any, are the differences in its type, quality, etc...? Also, should any of those issues reoccur or be solved with the new screen?

grizfish

macrumors member
Nov 22, 2011
There is likely an average useful life for all monitors. The 1920x1200 screen on my 2007 MBP remains crisp and clear. Use it every day.

Also looking for a 2012 iMac, but decided to wait until the next upgrade. Just can't get excited about the SSD and HDDs they offer this time around. At least you can access the memory. The cheap stand gives you no options. However, the screen and GPU give me enough reasons to not digress to last year's model.

Really want an SSD because of how it has improved my MBP, but can't justify the $1300. The Fusion Drive is a no-go because I need bootcamp and want it to be fast. Also, can't use the iMac in target mode, which would force me to get 2 monitors and really clutter my desk.

Have a couple of SSDs laying around, so will wait for the updated Mac Pro and updated monitors. An iMac loaded for my needs will be close to the price of a low-end Mac Pro. Here's hoping they retain the upgradeability of the Mac Pro.

Some people are never satisfied.

Rant off.

Hexley

Suspended
Jun 10, 2009
I have the 20" of the 2007 iMac and waiting for the 27" of the 2012 iMac.

If you don't want to spend for a new 2012 21.5"
iMac try looking for a 2011 21.5" iMac. Those should be offered for sale.

flatfoot

macrumors 65816
Aug 11, 2009
@OP: It's most likely the graphics card going bad on your old iMac, not the screen.

Blkant

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 27, 2012
I have the 20" of the 2007 iMac and waiting for the 27" of the 2012 iMac.

If you don't want to spend for a new 2012 21.5"
iMac try looking for a 2011 21.5" iMac. Those should be offered for sale.

Well if I were to get the new iMac I would get the 27", but i'm just afraid the new screen will have issues. Makes me wonder if holding out for a MacPro next year and getting a separate monitor would be better.

----------

@OP: It's most likely the graphics card going bad on your old iMac, not the screen.

Come to think of it that might explain some of the other strange glitches I've had with it before. Might just be that when I got it, it already had problems and is now deteriorating faster. Might explain a few things, but when I hear everyone mention yellow tint my first thought was just always the screen.

motrek

macrumors 68030
Sep 14, 2012

Very interesting problem... since you can still clearly see the image, your backlight is fine. If all your blue pixels went bad then it would explain the yellow cast, but the odds of only your blue pixels going bad are zero. So you are left with a software problem or a very unusual problem with your graphics chip/card. I would have thought this was almost impossible, and although I guess it apparently did happen to someone (you) once, I would not be worried about it happening to anyone again.

Basically, go ahead and buy a new iMac if you want, or a new Mac Mini and choose your own monitor.

Blkant

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 27, 2012
Very interesting problem... since you can still clearly see the image, your backlight is fine. If all your blue pixels went bad then it would explain the yellow cast, but the odds of only your blue pixels going bad are zero. So you are left with a software problem or a very unusual problem with your graphics chip/card. I would have thought this was almost impossible, and although I guess it apparently did happen to someone (you) once, I would not be worried about it happening to anyone again.

Basically, go ahead and buy a new iMac if you want, or a new Mac Mini and choose your own monitor.

Found something interesting:

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1046739/

Seems it was a specific series of defects from a particular factory... Shame I didn't look into this ages earlier... Certainly does sound though like it wont happen with the new ones. Only thing now is, are the new monitors any good?

Hexley

Suspended
Jun 10, 2009
If you want the LCD to be well tested for endurance your only choice would be the 2011 model.

The 2012 model uses a different panel and manufacturing process that has yet to prove itself in actual use.

Chances are the issue you encountered with our 2007 iMac was an isolated incident. Could be the machine itself or the environment it was stored in. Anyways it has been 5 years since. Any corrections to our iMac would've been accomplished by now.

As I am typing this I am using a still very much functioning 2007 iMac with nary a problem.

I was contemplating upgrading the CPU, HDD to SSD and moving our RAM to 6GB but the total cost of upgrades would exceed the price of a 2012 Mac mini Core i5 if it was combined with the proceeds from selling our iMac. So if ever I'd upgrade it would only be the CPU for less than $100.

I am waiting for the delivery for my 2012 iMac that I do not expect any problems with for at least 12 months. If ever a problem arose it will be covered by 12 month warranty.

If I need to extend said warranty for a total of 36 months out of paranoia I can order Apple Care for iMac from BH for $122.

Well if I were to get the new iMac I would get the 27", but i'm just afraid the new screen will have issues. Makes me wonder if holding out for a MacPro next year and getting a separate monitor would be better.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.