Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mrdinh

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 7, 2007
my images look great in cs6 but when printing at a local costco..the prints have a brown tint to them...help please

dave.64

macrumors newbie
Nov 28, 2012
Hi

check that your copy of CS6 is not using ProPhoto
as the working colour space, most minilabs
can't interperet that space, and in my experience
this produces a brownish reddish cast. Most minilabs use sRGB
or Adobe RGB as their 'colour space'. Next time take an image in
using an sRGB profile, and the same image in Prophoto, and see the difference.

If that is not the case, perhaps the shop is not looking after their printer.
They need to be calibrated every morning, and chemicals kept replenished
etc. Were you able to see if other customers prints had problems.

Next up is screen calibration, this must be done using a professional screen calibrator, on a high quality monitor.

nburwell

macrumors 603
May 6, 2008
DE
It could also be Cosco's lab. When I think of Costco, I don't envision a lab that produces quality prints. However, I would also point to the post above me and ensure that your computer screen is properly calibrated. If everything checks out fine, then I would look elsewhere to get your images printed. You can try one of the many online labs such as Mpix.

mikepro

macrumors 6502
Sep 3, 2010
It could also be Cosco's lab. When I think of Costco, I don't envision a lab that produces quality prints. However, I would also point to the post above me and ensure that your computer screen is properly calibrated. If everything checks out fine, then I would look elsewhere to get your images printed. You can try one of the many online labs such as Mpix.

Well, regardless of what you envision, the two Costco's I've used always produce phenomenal quality prints. And a great price.

MCAsan

macrumors 601
Jul 9, 2012
Atlanta
Is your monitor calibrated? The shot may have been taken in ProPhoto or AdobeRGB color spaces, but you need to proof and save in sRGB before giving the image to Costco.

Lots of folks in our local clubs have gotten excellent results from Costco. The key is making sure the image is edited and saved in sRGB.

nburwell

macrumors 603
May 6, 2008
DE
Well, regardless of what you envision, the two Costco's I've used always produce phenomenal quality prints. And a great price.

Having worked in a photo lab in college, each individual lab is different. If associates don't perform necessary maintenance on the machine, it can cause colors to be off. I'm not saying this is the case with all Costco's, but the machines need to be calibrated each morning before customer work is printed out. If your Costco prints are coming out great, then that's a positive mark towards the associates who work there.

rick d

macrumors newbie
Oct 23, 2009
costco

Did you know that you can download the profile from your local Costco's printer use it to profile your prints, go to Costo and ask them to turn off their color monitoring and use that profile. Find out what machine they have and go to Dry Creek Photo to download the profile. At least that's where a couple of friends downloaded theirs and they're prints look great.

ViperDesign

macrumors 6502a
Aug 7, 2007
Utah
Costco by mean is fantastic. I have printed at whcc, and many others and Costco prints were as good. No complaints here. Just download their printer profiles.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.