Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hypertc13

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 17, 2009
My macbook air is about 14 months old. The battery has 336 cycles on it and my battery capacity is already at 77%. Aren't these suppose to hold 80% capacity after 1000 cycles?

Also every now and then I'll be doing something whether it be surfing the web or streaming music and applications pause and it says my hard drive is full and I must make room. Then I'll restart my computer and check how much space I have and it shows I have near 20 GB of space left on the ssd. Does anyone else ever experience this?

di1in

macrumors regular
Feb 27, 2011
My macbook air is about 14 months old. The battery has 336 cycles on it and my battery capacity is already at 77%. Aren't these suppose to hold 80% capacity after 1000 cycles?

Also every now and then I'll be doing something whether it be surfing the web or streaming music and applications pause and it says my hard drive is full and I must make room. Then I'll restart my computer and check how much space I have and it shows I have near 20 GB of space left on the ssd. Does anyone else ever experience this?

If you have Apple Care you could perhaps check it out with them, they might give you a solution?

wolfpuppies3

macrumors 6502
Jun 26, 2012
Virginia, USA
If I had only 20 GB remaining free space, I would be shopping for a larger SSD. Especially if you have minimal memory installed, Virtual Memory can suck up a lot of storage space in a heartbeat.

My MBPro is used every day for the past two plus years, has 69 cycles and the battery remains at 96%. I guess it is all in how you use your machines.

Last edited:

Johnny Alien

macrumors member
Nov 17, 2012
My MBPro is used every day for the past two plus years, has 69 cycles and the battery remains at 96%. I guess it is all in how you use your machines.

So you never use it on battery power? I don't see how it's possible to use it every day for two years and only cycle 69 times unless it was rarely used on battery power.

krravi

macrumors 65816
Nov 30, 2010
You see to have two issues. One with the battery and one with the hard disk space.

Regarding hard disk space I am wondering if your local Timemachine backups are eating up the disk.

First do a time machine backup of your machine.

Then open "Terminal" and type this,

sudo tmutil disablelocalbackup

If that doesnt work

sudo tmutil disablelocalbackups

Not sure about the "s" at the end.

What that will do is disable your machine from making local backups till you connect it to your time machine drive.

Then restart and see how much space you have.

hypertc13

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 17, 2009
thanks for some of the info guys. However I do not have AppleCare, I had it on my first macbook pro and only had to use it once on my power cord because it was fraying. I tried with my macbook pro battery but back then they were only rated to hold so much for the first 300 cycles. So I didn't see the need to get it with my mba.

micrors4racer

macrumors 6502
Apr 19, 2012
Since you are only 2 months out of warranty I would bring it in and see if they can do anything about it since that is a faulty battery if it is reporting below 80% and under 1000 cycles. You might get lucky and they might replace it.

If not then you can have them replace it for about $130 or do it your self (not that hard just get the right screw drivers and open the bottom then unscrew the old battery pack and pop in the new one.)

jmgregory1

macrumors 68030
My '11 13" Air is 15 months old with 215 cycles and its gone from 92% to 79% as of this am. I regularly use it off AC power, but lately it has been dropping 1-2% every couple of days it seems. I'm taking it in for a "genius" appt today to see what they'll do. It's definitely not performing to the specs they publish, so hopefully I can get a replacement free of charge. I'll post back what happens.

jmgregory1

macrumors 68030
Took my Air in today and they offered me nothing. He reset the battery manager while running their diagnostics and suggested seeing if that has any positive effect on my battery health. Their test showed my battery at 85% and I'm now seeing 81%, not much of an improvement from the 79% I saw this morning.

He said if things don't improve I could pay $130 to get a new battery installed. If I see no improvement, which I don't expect to, I'll go back and press to get it replaced for free. They shouldn't publish that batteries should last through 1000 cycles and be at 80% if that isn't the case - or that they'll replace those that fail within the first 500 cycles (mines at 215 now).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.