Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > iMac

Old Dec 18, 2012, 12:28 AM   #1
mbpkid
macrumors member

if i ordered right now, when would i receive it?

if i ordered right now , what would be the earliest i would recieve it? would the earliest be like mid january? does anybody know or can give an estimate thank you

i plan to get maxed out imac 27 btw if that makes a difference
mbpkid is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2012, 12:37 AM   #2
Gelite55
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbpkid View Post
if i ordered right now , what would be the earliest i would recieve it? would the earliest be like mid january? does anybody know or can give an estimate thank you

i plan to get maxed out imac 27 btw if that makes a difference
I was wondering the same thing. But is it really worth maxing out the system when it will be outdated in 3 years. Haswell (new processors) is due out in April 2013.
Gelite55 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2012, 12:46 AM   #3
cloudyo
macrumors member

I ordered 3 days ago (also maxed out) and i am hoping to get it mid January. I think mid to late January is still a realistic guess. I dont think it makes a difference whether you customize it or not. The reason for the delay is the display and that is the same on every iMac.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gelite55
But is it really worth maxing out the system when it will be outdated in 3 years.
That could be said about any computer purchase. No matter what you get today it will be outdated in a few years.
cloudyo is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2012, 12:53 AM   #4
Gelite55
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by cloudyo View Post
I ordered 3 days ago (also maxed out) and i am hoping to get it mid January. I think mid to late January is still a realistic guess. I dont think it makes a difference whether you customize it or not. The reason for the delay is the display and that is the same on every iMac.

That could be said about any computer purchase. No matter what you get today it will be outdated in a few years.
Or you could play the game. Buy the base 21.5" iMac. Then in another year or so when the next one comes out selling the old one. Thus making the upgrade almost free. If you look around yes a higher spec Mac will sell for higher than a lowered spec one but not nearly what you paid for it. By buying the base model you minimize financial depreciation.
Gelite55 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2012, 12:54 AM   #5
lapeno
macrumors 6502

Old Dec 18, 2012, 01:01 AM   #6
CIA
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gelite55 View Post
I was wondering the same thing. But is it really worth maxing out the system when it will be outdated in 3 years. Haswell (new processors) is due out in April 2013.
I ordered a top of the line iMac in 2007, and just now I'm finally feeling the need to upgrade. So I got over 5 years out of my machine. Had I bought a lower end model I probably would have upgraded sooner.

The point is, what one person may consider "Outdated" is still just fine for others. I hope to get 5+ years out of my new iMac when it arrives.

Also to answer your question about when the iMac would arrive.... 3rd week of January. Probably around the 18th or 21st.
CIA is online now   3 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2012, 03:10 AM   #7
Beardy
macrumors newbie

I originally ordered an iMac on the day they were launched but changed my spec on the 9th and now have a broad "January" delivery expectation. I expect mid Jan.

With regards to longevity my current iMac is one of the first all aluminium ones...2007 I think ? It would still be fine except I do image editing for fairly large pictures and also have run out of storage capacity. If you are a user doing anything except gaming or image/video editing I think it would still be fine.
My iMac is going to become my children's machine...I expect to get a few more years out of it.
Beardy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2012, 05:17 AM   #8
KaraH
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gelite55 View Post
The anticipated delivery date is listed in the apple store. As of the last time I looked it was January.

Yes, it is worth maxing out your system. It will not prevent it becoming obsolete at some point but it will delay that happening. I always max out systems because that buys me a few years of useful life (and guarantees me a sweet system at the start of that). Another reason to upgrade: some of the changes (like the GPU) can not be done after the fact. The CPU has been shown to be able to be done but you need to perform major surgery.
Old Dec 18, 2012, 05:26 AM   #9
Macman45
macrumors G5

Whilst I tend to upgrade my main machine ( Imac 27") on a yearly basis, I'm hoping this one will last two years...BTO's shipping is Mid January so that's probably when you will get one if that's your plan. Stock models? I guess you MIGHT get one before Christmas but I doubt it...The specs on my BTO:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Imac 27%22.png
Views:	11
Size:	58.9 KB
ID:	384344  
Old Dec 18, 2012, 05:30 AM   #10
medi.freak
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macman45 View Post
Whilst I tend to upgrade my main machine ( Imac 27") on a yearly basis, I'm hoping this one will last two years...BTO's shipping is Mid January so that's probably when you will get one if that's your plan. Stock models? I guess you MIGHT get one before Christmas but I doubt it...The specs on my BTO:
Care to share why you spend the money on Apple Ram if you could have had the same for 450$ less?
8Gb iPod Nano 3G
medi.freak is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2012, 05:58 AM   #11
tom vilsack
macrumors 68000

Good chance you will get it on...

Jan 11th 11:42:15 pm est
tom vilsack is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2012, 06:25 AM   #12
Macman45
macrumors G5

Quote:
Originally Posted by medi.freak View Post
Care to share why you spend the money on Apple Ram if you could have had the same for 450$ less?
Honestly? I normally don't...But Crucial have a few stock issues, and I did get a discount on the Mac...In most cases I agree, buying Apple RAM is a little nuts, but I'm getting to the age of not wanting to fiddle around anymore either...It's the eyes you know..
Old Dec 18, 2012, 06:40 AM   #13
vladfein
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macman45 View Post
Honestly? I normally don't...But Crucial have a few stock issues, and I did get a discount on the Mac...In most cases I agree, buying Apple RAM is a little nuts, but I'm getting to the age of not wanting to fiddle around anymore either...It's the eyes you know..
Put your glasses on! It's $600 (SIX HUNDRED) you are paying for a $150 worth of RAM that anyone can plug in.
vladfein is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2012, 06:59 AM   #14
Macman45
macrumors G5

Quote:
Originally Posted by vladfein View Post
Put your glasses on! It's $600 (SIX HUNDRED) you are paying for a $150 worth of RAM that anyone can plug in.
I know, I know, but it's done now, and with discount I actually didn't pay quite that much over the odds....I've done all my Macs in the past...Levae the old guy to take a break form opening them up this time..

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > iMac