Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

johnitravolta

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 5, 2009
Hello,

I have the new ML on a .dmg file.
I want to be able to open it in windows so i can load the setup through VMWARE.

I understood that it can be done by a working mac.
I have a mac book running the Leopard.

I googled this and found out HDIUTIL, which has converted the .dmg file into a .cdr file - that does not help me.
I also found in google that i can manually change the name of the file to .iso but that also did not work for me.

can someone please guide me step by step how do i do this ? thank you!

Pyromonkey83

macrumors 6502
May 24, 2009
Not sure if this will work but you can give it a shot.

IN MAC OSX:

1. Mount .dmg file like normal
2. Open Disk Utility
3. Click on mounted drive on left hand side
4. Click "New Image" on top bar
5. Change image format to DVD/CD Master, name file, and save
6. Change the file format from .cdr to .iso

This I know will work for all of my software DVD's that I have ripped for backups. Apple does not write files to .iso format, but uses the same exact formatting and names it as .cdr instead. You can freely change from .cdr to .iso using this method.

Let me know if it works!

-Concept-

macrumors member
You can do this, yes, but doing it through the terminal makes certain that there are no conversion errors. Here's the code for that:

Code:
hdiutil convert /yourdmg.dmg -format UDTO -o /youriso.iso

Where "yourdmg.dmg" is the FILEPATH to the dmg and "youriso.iso" is the FILEPATH to your iso.

johnitravolta

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 5, 2009
You can do this, yes, but doing it through the terminal makes certain that there are no conversion errors. Here's the code for that:

Code:
hdiutil convert /yourdmg.dmg -format UDTO -o /youriso.iso

Where "yourdmg.dmg" is the FILEPATH to the dmg and "youriso.iso" is the FILEPATH to your iso.

this is exactly what i did. and it created a file named "x.iso.cdr"
that's the problem i'm talking about.

i will try in a minute the other suggestion.
if you think of something let me know please thank you guys both!

johnitravolta

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 5, 2009
Yeah I forgot that you still have to convert, After doing it through terminal, though, you can make sure of any inconsistencies. Just delete .cdr and change it to .iso.

Why daemon tools did not recognize the .iso file then?

wrldwzrd89

macrumors G5
Jun 6, 2003
Solon, OH
this is exactly what i did. and it created a file named "x.iso.cdr"
that's the problem i'm talking about.

i will try in a minute the other suggestion.
if you think of something let me know please thank you guys both!
One weird thing: OSX likes adding the .cdr or .dmg extensions automatically. It's perfectly safe to remove those (best to do this in Get Info, else Finder hides the extension rather than removing it entirely).

Also worth noting: All disks, even virtual ones like .isos, have a file system associated with them. If you try to mount an .iso that is in the HFS format on another OS, odds are you'll not have success.

johnitravolta

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 5, 2009
Go into a little more depth on what you mean by that? MagicISO didn't recognize it as having the extension ".dmg" or MagicISO gave you an error when you tried to convert? Something like that?

sorry for not being specific.
when i loaded the dmg file into the magiciso i got an error that the file could not be opened. or bad format .. something like this.

i can't remember.
but it's the same file i opened in my macbook and it seems to be in the right format. undamaged.

what do you think ?

-Concept-

macrumors member
Depends on whether it's a cd .dmg or not. If it's too big, MagicISO will get grumpy

Try this and tell me if it works. This is what I use to convert my dmg files to img files on a Windows partition, hope it'll show you some results.

If that doesn't work then try this.

Good luck!

johnitravolta

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 5, 2009
Depends on whether it's a cd .dmg or not. If it's too big, MagicISO will get grumpy

Try this and tell me if it works. This is what I use to convert my dmg files to img files on a Windows partition, hope it'll show you some results.

If that doesn't work then try this.

Good luck!

It's a cd dmg file for sure. It's 4.5gb almost in the size.

All of the converters have rejected this file probably because of its size.

What else can we do?

-Concept-

macrumors member
All of them did?

Is the program that you're trying to run only available for Mac?

But another thing I would try is converting it via terminal again, changing the file extension to .iso, burning it to a disk using Toast, and seeing what your PC recognizes it as.

johnitravolta

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 5, 2009
All of them did?

Is the program that you're trying to run only available for Mac?

But another thing I would try is converting it via terminal again, changing the file extension to .iso, burning it to a disk using Toast, and seeing what your PC recognizes it as.

I'm sorry the Mac did not show me that the "this" words are links. I'll try this when I get home after study.

johnitravolta

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 5, 2009
this issue is exausting me .
i tried renaming the file name to iso and now it suddenly works.
but now i cannot load it in my vmware station on my PC.
jesus.

i don't know what to do.
i load the iso file. vmware says it does not recognize which OS is it and asks me i shall continue.
i press yes. and the system goes up but does not boot any system installation.
like it does not recognize it.

if anyone knows what to do i'll be happy, thank you.

-Concept-

macrumors member
Make sure the dmg is writable!!! If it's not, it won't install. I thought this was a given but apparently it's another common error...

Here's an example of this:
Code:
touch "/Volumes/Mac OS X Install DVD/System/Library/CoreServices/ServerVersion.plist"

And you're positive that the OS you're trying to install is compatible with vmware?

johnitravolta

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 5, 2009
Make sure the dmg is writable!!! If it's not, it won't install. I thought this was a given but apparently it's another common error...

Here's an example of this:
Code:
touch "/Volumes/Mac OS X Install DVD/System/Library/CoreServices/ServerVersion.plist"

And you're positive that the OS you're trying to install is compatible with vmware?

Well it's the mountain lion. I believe there shouldn't be a problem. No?

j0ester

macrumors member
Jun 14, 2012
Just because it's a Mountain Lion Image doesn't mean anything. The file can be corrupted too while downloading it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.