Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cali0028

macrumors member
Jul 18, 2011
Tech21

I had gotten one from the apple store (clear) for the white ip5 but after week of use the clear plastic turned yellow...returned it...I do have the impact snap white now it works fine...only thing is a tight fit and very hard to get it off.

beeinformed

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 30, 2010
Thanks everyone for responding to my inquiry about this brand!

I bought this case in the "smoke" color and hope it does not discolor as the clear version case of "cali0028"'s did.

I am also curious about the "fit" of the case as well as how easily you can access the volume/power buttons on this case.

Any feedback/comments will be greatly appreciated!

tsturbo

macrumors regular
Mar 23, 2008

I bought this case in the "smoke" color and hope it does not discolor as the clear version case of "cali0028"'s did.

I am also curious about the "fit" of the case as well as how easily you can access the volume/power buttons on this case.

Keep us informed how this case work for you, it was on my short list, but purchased the spigen neo hybrid ex slim instead, the tech21 looks like a very impressive case, I just didn't want the back covered with the mesh.

sagar4995

macrumors 6502a
Aug 11, 2012
Dubai, UAE
here's what i use. bought it for AED 20. thats approx US$ 5.479.
Been using it for about a month now. no complaints. a LOT of ppl have asked me where i got it from n its got quite a lot of attention.
its plastic (ofcourse), fits tight. no finger smudge marks when holding it.

Attachments

• case1.JPG
    case1.JPG
    47.8 KB · Views: 838
  • case2.JPG
    case2.JPG
    48.3 KB · Views: 876
  • case3.JPG
    case3.JPG
    44 KB · Views: 725

JonMPLS

macrumors 68000
May 23, 2010
MN
I have the Tech 21 Impact Band (clear) on my iphone right now. It's just different enough from my other cases to be interesting. Nice feel, nice fit. Good access for the ports. Button feel is definately muted, but I rarely use them. The sleep button is also a little harder to push, but no problem.

http://www.tech21.uk.com/Category/iphone_5_Cases

JonMPLS

macrumors 68000
May 23, 2010
MN

I looked at this at the Apple store (in the box). Looked super, but I could not figure out if the mesh was an open mesh or just a design. I do not think it is open, but could you let us know? Thanks!

DrConcrete

macrumors newbie
Dec 19, 2012
Tech21 Case from Apple Store

I own a the Tech21 Impact Mesh in smoke from the Apple Store. After about a week, I am very happy with this case. To answer a previous poster's question, no, the mesh in the back is not open. The mesh provides some additional cushioning for the back of the phone to protect against impact.

The band around the edge of the phone is fairly thick TPU with the orange T3O insert. Because I am somewhat OCD about protecting my iPhone, I did a considerable amount of research on the T3O material and its benefits. It is a non-Newtonian fluid that is viscous under normal conditions, but becomes stiff under impact loads. This stiffness would contain impact shock within the case and provide, I believe, some significant protection for the iPhone. However, I have not tested this hypothesis...yet.

In summary, while its not the thinnest case on the market, I think it is a very good compromise between showing off the beauty of the iPhone and providing protection against drops and other impact. It's a high-tech solution without being "over-engineered" like the Otterbox Defender or even the Commuter. I would recommend that you give it a try.

beeinformed

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 30, 2010
I own a the Tech21 Impact Mesh in smoke from the Apple Store. After about a week, I am very happy with this case. To answer a previous poster's question, no, the mesh in the back is not open. The mesh provides some additional cushioning for the back of the phone to protect against impact.

The band around the edge of the phone is fairly thick TPU with the orange T3O insert. Because I am somewhat OCD about protecting my iPhone, I did a considerable amount of research on the T3O material and its benefits. It is a non-Newtonian fluid that is viscous under normal conditions, but becomes stiff under impact loads. This stiffness would contain impact shock within the case and provide, I believe, some significant protection for the iPhone. However, I have not tested this hypothesis...yet.

In summary, while its not the thinnest case on the market, I think it is a very good compromise between showing off the beauty of the iPhone and providing protection against drops and other impact. It's a high-tech solution without being "over-engineered" like the Otterbox Defender or even the Commuter. I would recommend that you give it a try.

Hi,

I just started using the same case as you have and would appreciate it if you tell me if you think the mesh design will leave an imprint on the back of the phone? Also, do you think a protecter for the back of the phone is necessary with this case? Thanks! :)

DrConcrete

macrumors newbie
Dec 19, 2012
Hi,

I just started using the same case as you have and would appreciate it if you tell me if you think the mesh design will leave an imprint on the back of the phone? Also, do you think a protecter for the back of the phone is necessary with this case? Thanks! :)

No, I do not think it will. Its just TPU, and is pliable. However, if some sand or grit got inside the case, I suppose it's possible that it could scratch the phone. However, that's true with most any case. I would not worry about it without a protector on the back of the iPhone.

rapaleeman

macrumors 6502
Sep 15, 2010
Hi,

It may imprint on the glass portions but it won't be a permanent one. You should be able to just wipe it clean.

I bought one of these today from the Apple store and kind of like it. It was really difficult to get over the edge of my glass screen protector but it did fit in the case. I'm not a fan of the bottom at all though. Too loose of a fit for my taste. I'm probably going to take it back because of this. Makes the case feel kind of loose on my phone. It isn't rattling around or anything but it doesn't feel like a snug fit.

I went back to my Candyshell grip and that case is just a perfect fit that anything that doesn't fit well feels odd in the hand. Grip on the Tech21 is also a little slippery. Not enough to hold onto.

I think I'm going to try to the Spigen armor case. If that doesn't work then I'm just going to stick with the Candyshell. I like everything about the Candyshell except for the super tacky lip round the the screen. A minor complaint but it does bother me. I liked the Tech21 lip though. It sit almost flush with the screen protector. I just wish the phone felt secure in the case and had a smaller cut out for the camera. That thing is massive.

richxps

macrumors 68000
Jun 9, 2008
So that bottom part can snap easy ? Does it pull taking it out of ur pocket

AllAmerican

macrumors newbie
Dec 14, 2012
I got an impact mesh from the apple store after finding that the Lifeproof Fre was a piece of garbage. I like it personally. It's slim and has a secure fit. The bottom part does have some give, but I do not see it breaking unless you purposely attempt to. the power button is a little had to press but it's not much different than most TPU cases. In time I think it will soften up. I haven't had it long but I hope it doesn't discolor since I got the clear one.

tsturbo

macrumors regular
Mar 23, 2008
I got an impact mesh from the apple store after finding that the Lifeproof Fre was a piece of garbage. I like it personally. It's slim and has a secure fit. The bottom part does have some give, but I do not see it breaking unless you purposely attempt to. the power button is a little had to press but it's not much different than most TPU cases. In time I think it will soften up. I haven't had it long but I hope it doesn't discolor since I got the clear one.

Please report back if it discolors, I am very close to *getting the clear, "if" it does not have discoloration issues. I am not really a fan of the smoke color, it's OK, but it is not my 1st choice. I also have a Spigen neo hybrid ex slim in vivid soul black which should arrive in the mail tomorrow.

*i think I may be getting the clear tech21 as a stocking stuffer, can't wait to compare these 2 cases. I just got my iPhone 5 (black/slate) yesterday and am using it "naked" which it seems so fragile compared to my 4, prolly because it is so much lighter and thinner.

AllAmerican

macrumors newbie
Dec 14, 2012
Please report back if it discolors, I am very close to *getting the clear, "if" it does not have discoloration issues. I am not really a fan of the smoke color, it's OK, but it is not my 1st choice. I also have a Spigen neo hybrid ex slim in vivid soul black which should arrive in the mail tomorrow.

*i think I may be getting the clear tech21 as a stocking stuffer, can't wait to compare these 2 cases. I just got my iPhone 5 (black/slate) yesterday and am using it "naked" which it seems so fragile compared to my 4, prolly because it is so much lighter and thinner.

Sure. I do not see how it could discolor any time soon, but time will tell. The smoke color was ugly in my opinion so clear was the only option. Also you can sorta see the back of the ip5 with the clear

LoveMyPens

macrumors regular
Mar 11, 2013
The piece at the very bottom seems very flimsy and I suspect will break easily.

I have seen from a couple different sites that they have updated the bottom and it now has the supports on both sides of the lightning connector to support that bottom piece, thus not making it flimsy. I'm going to apple to check one out today to see if they have the updated on. This was the only reason i hadn't purchased it before.

LoveMyPens

macrumors regular
Mar 11, 2013
I have seen from a couple different sites that they have updated the bottom and it now has the supports on both sides of the lightning connector to support that bottom piece, thus not making it flimsy. I'm going to apple to check one out today to see if they have the updated on. This was the only reason i hadn't purchased it before.

I got this today and it indeed has the extra support now on the bottom lip. Great case. Love the feel. Hoping this will be a keeper... for at least a couple weeks :)

jbzcar

macrumors regular
May 11, 2012

I don't like the update, the short Lightning-to-30-pin doesn't fit anymore.

LoveMyPens

macrumors regular
Mar 11, 2013
I don't like the update, the short Lightning-to-30-pin doesn't fit anymore.

I have the regular lightning charger and it works fine. Personally I'd rather have the support for that lower lip than it being more open for the adapter.

One day later and still really liking the case.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.