Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Mac Basics and Help

Old Sep 28, 2012, 10:28 AM   #1
Wineaux
macrumors newbie

*Help needed* - How to... install Lion if you still have Leopard

Hi everyone,

A little green when it comes to the upgrading of software and I think my skepticism stems from all the horrible MS updates which brings me to my dilemma. I never updated from Leopard to Snow Leopard (as I was advised by one of my close friends not too, because she felt it was a step backwards ). Been wanting to get Lion for a long time but apparently there are some programs that you need installed from SL to get Lion to function. (Please excuse the lack of "techy-talk", I'm a natural scientist). Can anyone offer some advice or a solution without having to fork out $29+ per iOS?

Thanks in advance.
Wineaux is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 28, 2012, 05:04 PM   #2
Stooby Mcdoobie
macrumors 6502a

iOS is Apple's mobile operating system (iPhone/iPad). OS X is what you want.

Anyway, Apple was selling a Lion USB key at one point (but it was around $50 if I'm remembering correctly). Aside from obtaining one (or both) of the operating systems through illegal activities, which can't be discussed here, I don't think it's possible to get to Lion without spending at least $50. You can buy Snow Leopard over the phone for $20 and you can probably buy Lion over the phone as well. You might want to get Mountain Lion instead of Lion (if your machine can run it).
Stooby Mcdoobie is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 28, 2012, 05:12 PM   #3
Major.Robto
macrumors 6502

Don't bother with 10.7 try to find a 10.6 install disk on ebay.

That is your best bet for a stable os that can still function fine. Theres no need for 10.7 or 10.8 they have problems and are not as stable. Also 10.6 is a lighter system and can do all the same things still. and are still computers and not social networking tools
Major.Robto is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2012, 03:32 AM   #4
Wineaux
macrumors newbie

Thanks a lot!

Hi there,

Thanks so much for your advice. I know I've neglected to respond to your replies, apologies.

I have ordered a family pack off eBay for Snow Leopard (as we have more than 2 Macs/Macbooks in the family). Should be arriving soon. Will take it from there.

Wishing you both a wonderful festive season.
Wineaux is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2012, 06:47 AM   #5
-Concept-
macrumors member

You could also copy all of your files to an external drive and then wipe the one you currently have, and install lion from that external drive onto your internal one (lion has an app that lets you select which drive you want to install it onto).

Last edited by -Concept-; Dec 18, 2012 at 04:58 PM.
-Concept- is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2012, 10:29 AM   #6
wrldwzrd89
macrumors G4

A few other notes:

Once you get Snow Leopard and install it, if your Mac is Mountain Lion-capable, skip Lion and jump straight to ML - a Mac that came with Leopard may or may not run Mountain Lion. Even if it does, you'll want to bump your RAM to 3 GB at a minimum (some Macs that can run Mountain Lion top out at 3 GB - which is why I'm suggesting it). If you can, though, put more in. 8 GB should be good for just about everyone. 4 GB is fine for light use. If you run virtual machines, though, invest in 16 GB if your Mac can handle it. You'll be much happier.

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Mac Basics and Help