Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X

Old Dec 18, 2012, 05:50 AM   #1
tanker5
macrumors member

OS X 10.9 Thoughts?

I was just reading some rumors about OS X 10.9, which some folks believe will be named "Lynx". I was wondering what new features people are hoping to see in this new OS.

I would like to see:

- Siri integration
- The ability to run 2 or more full screen apps on separate monitors side by side at the same time
- The ability to enlarge the font on the Menu Bar

Any other ideas? Any new rumors? Please comment below.
tanker5 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2012, 11:28 AM   #2
Michael Goff
macrumors 68040

We'll likely get Siri and Apple Maps.

Hopefully we get a lot of performance increases, though.

Let the iOS-ification continue! :P
Michael Goff is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2012, 11:39 AM   #3
wrldwzrd89
macrumors G4

I'd be willing to bet that there's something in iOS 6.1 or iOS 7 (due out next year, if history is a reliable guide) that will make it into OS X v10.9. As for what that feature is, your guess is as good as mine!
Old Dec 18, 2012, 12:42 PM   #4
colourfastt
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Goff View Post
We'll likely get Siri and Apple Maps.

Hopefully we get a lot of performance increases, though.

Let the iOS-ification continue! :P
Let it NOT! If I wanted a 27" iTOY I would have purchased it.
Old Dec 18, 2012, 02:31 PM   #5
Michael Goff
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by colourfastt View Post
Afraid neither of us have a say in the matter. I'd rather they focus on making the Mac more efficient with the resources given, maybe beef up their software offerings that they already have, but I'm not head of OS X development.

It will continue, though.
Michael Goff is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2012, 10:43 AM   #6
Yujenisis
macrumors 6502

Send a message via AIM to Yujenisis
I'm hoping they will continue to refine the built-in productivity apps like Calendar, Notes, and Contacts.

I really hate what 10.7 did to Calendar and Contacts, in particular, and while 10.8 rolls back a lot of the problems it still doesn't seem like the sleek and modern apps I'd expect from Apple.
Yujenisis is offline   7 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2012, 07:04 PM   #7
arnette
macrumors 6502

Send a message via AIM to arnette
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yujenisis View Post
I'm hoping they will continue to refine the built-in productivity apps like Calendar, Notes, and Contacts.

I really hate what 10.7 did to Calendar and Contacts, in particular, and while 10.8 rolls back a lot of the problems it still doesn't seem like the sleek and modern apps I'd expect from Apple.

100% agreed. I'm still running Lion on my MBA because I'm afraid of Mt Lion performance hit that's so-often rumored, but the poor performance and design of iCal and Contacts is the stuff that legends are made of.

You'd think because Apple has complete control over these programs - and they are default standard for every Mac user - they would make them a shining example of what can be done. But sadly this is not true
Old Dec 20, 2012, 08:45 PM   #8
Michael Goff
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by arnette View Post
100% agreed. I'm still running Lion on my MBA because I'm afraid of Mt Lion performance hit that's so-often rumored, but the poor performance and design of iCal and Contacts is the stuff that legends are made of.

You'd think because Apple has complete control over these programs - and they are default standard for every Mac user - they would make them a shining example of what can be done. But sadly this is not true
ML performance isn't -that much- worse than Lion.

10.8.3 is improving it, too.

I'd be more worried about what will actually come with 10.9.
Michael Goff is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2012, 09:16 AM   #9
Yujenisis
macrumors 6502

Send a message via AIM to Yujenisis
Quote:
Originally Posted by arnette View Post

I'm optimistic that having Ive in charge of both hardware and software design we will see significant (and good) changes in terms of UI "personality".
Yujenisis is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2012, 09:30 AM   #10
Valkyre
macrumors 6502

ram optimizations...
Valkyre is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2012, 09:36 AM   #11
roadbloc
macrumors 604

More pointless iOS stuff. Like passbook or maps or something.
Old Dec 21, 2012, 11:51 AM   #12
j0ester
macrumors member

What roadbloc said.
j0ester is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2012, 12:44 PM   #13
benwiggy
macrumors 68020

• Full voice control of the computer, complete removal of pointer in UI.
  • 54 different hand gestures in the air.
  • 3D hierarchical navigation of files in Finder.
  • All files in Cloud; all your files checked for similarity to other people's, to allow instant collaboration and sharing of interests. (Combined with social media, you can make new friends: "Oh, we met online through our shared love of cataloguing pedigree pony phenotypes.")
  • All "OS" (as it will be called, with the merging of iOS and OS X) users instantly form networks as they move around. Also the ability to locate any Mac user who is friends with you on FaceBook.
benwiggy is offline   10 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2012, 05:43 PM   #14
joegullo
macrumors newbie

I would definitely like to see modifications to Pages and better integration with iCloud. I think you should be able to go to iCloud.com and be able to create and edit documents right there IMO.
Old Dec 22, 2012, 01:26 AM   #15
Ddyracer
macrumors 68000

I want tabs in finder and color in finder back and throughout the os.

I want the grey linen to start to dissapear, it's hideous and you could argue here that it's skeumorphic.

Graphics and animation. Open gl 4 whatever the hell is the latest I want it. And speed up the animations like in switching through desktops in mission control, toggling mc itself, make the reading list animation faster, the full screen animation faster, the tab overview faster ( and a mc like view would sweet.)

Fix full screen.

That's it. Oh, no it aint. Gimme Siri on macs around 2009. Thx. Don't care if the dictation sucks I want it, and you better gimme it.

Additional idea: Ok, so this might be extreme (probably is) but i would love it if Apple made the Menubar more customizable like the dock. How asks you?

Well, let me tell you dear. First, i want to be able to move it wherever i want; ie like the dock. So, left side, right side, and bottom part of the screen.

Next, Let me adjust the menubar size. Wouldn't this be sick? I got this idea btw, from someone else i forget who but he's in my thoughts . But, make it smart like the dock. Like the bigger the menu is, the bigger the text.

Lastly, since i have the Menubar for example on the bottom, like windows, i want to move the dock to the top of the screen, just for some FYI, I don't like the dock on the side it's annoying unless it's on the bottom side of your screen. And let me be able to show and hide the menubar everywhere like the dock. Fullscreen kinda gives you that but that's for an app only, and it ***** up your second monitor.

Last edited by Ddyracer; Dec 25, 2012 at 09:42 AM.
Ddyracer is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 24, 2012, 05:59 AM   #16
Mr. Retrofire
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrldwzrd89 View Post
I'd be willing to bet that there's something in iOS 6.1 or iOS 7 (due out next year, if history is a reliable guide) that will make it into OS X v10.9. As for what that feature is, your guess is as good as mine!
Apple has some ARM source code on opensource.apple.com. I think this means OS X 11.x.x runs on Intel & ARM processors, like Windows 8.

“Only the dead have seen the end of the war.”
-- Plato --
Mr. Retrofire is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 24, 2012, 06:19 AM   #17
motulist
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ddyracer View Post
I want ... color in finder back and throughout the os.

I want the grey linen to start to dissapear, it's hideous and you could argue here that it's skeumorphic.

Or, and I know this is a ground breaking idea, GIVE USERS MORE APPEARANCE OPTIONS!

It's a crazy idea, I know. OS 9 and previous Mac OSes DID have a good number of OS color/appearance settings people could control to suit their personal preferences. It was a very good balance - the OS didn't give you so many appearance options that could be overwhelming or confusing to anyone, and the appearance choices you could select from were all reasonable and had no ability to be fugly or potential to interfere with interface usability (like older versions of windows had). There's really almost no downside to offering users a way to control the color of interface elements on their computer.
motulist is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 24, 2012, 06:33 AM   #18
Puevlo
macrumors 6502a

Hopefully they remove file management altogether. The iOS method of just having apps works better.
Puevlo is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 24, 2012, 10:09 AM   #19
colourfastt
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puevlo View Post
Hopefully they remove file management altogether. The iOS method of just having apps works better.
If you're using an appliance, like a refrigerator. I, however, prefer to use a computer.
Old Jan 1, 2013, 08:03 PM   #20
Lvivske
macrumors regular

Quote:
give it a rest.

----------

Quote:
If you're using an appliance, like a refrigerator. I, however, prefer to use a computer.
I think what he's saying is he'd rather have file libraries assigned to individual, specialized apps, since Finder alone isn't exactly capable of managing all files efficiently seeing as it has to standardize 'files' as we know them. Having specialized UI to manage sets of files makes more sense.

Why do you need traditional file structure, anyway? What do you "compute"?
Lvivske is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1, 2013, 08:06 PM   #21
simsaladimbamba

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puevlo View Post
That would make a lot of people unhappy, as many applications still need external file management, even big applications people make money with.

I for instance dislike the apps, that want to do the management themselves, but I also understand, what advantage it brings to many people not very well versed in or tired of file management.
The current approach is quite acceptable, let Finder live for people who need it and let people with different needs the choice to let their applications handle their files.
simsaladimbamba is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2013, 09:44 PM   #22
A Hebrew
macrumors 6502a

One of the two will happen:

A) 10.9 will feature appearance appearance customization

Or

B) No OS updates, just built in application updates.
Old Jan 2, 2013, 11:13 PM   #23
simsaladimbamba

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Hebrew View Post
One of the two will happen:

A) 10.9 will feature appearance appearance customization
What do you mean with that? Do you mean "theming", as in we can customise the look of Mac OS X? Or something else?

Quote:
B) No OS updates, just built in application updates.
What do you mean with that? That OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion will be the last version and no longer be updated, or that OS X 10.9 will be the last version and no longer being updated or upgraded and that only applications will be updated?
simsaladimbamba is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2013, 11:35 PM   #24
A Hebrew
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by simsaladimbamba View Post
What do you mean with that? Do you mean "theming", as in we can customise the look of Mac OS X? Or something else?
Yes, I mean customizing how OS X looks more than what we currently can. (Similar to how Windows allows you to change looks drastically)

Quote:
What do you mean with that? That OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion will be the last version and no longer be updated, or that OS X 10.9 will be the last version and no longer being updated or upgraded and that only applications will be updated?
I was referring to how it seems OS X is only application updates and not OS updates, other than minor ones. Making it not worth the $20.
Old Jan 2, 2013, 11:38 PM   #25
simsaladimbamba

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Hebrew View Post
Yes, I mean customizing how OS X looks more than what we currently can. (Similar to how Windows allows you to change looks drastically)
I doubt that, since Apple has not allowed that for many years. Though since their shift of focus, it might happen though, but is probably not a priority.

Quote:
I was referring to how it seems OS X is only application updates and not OS updates, other than minor ones. Making it not worth the $20.
It may seem so, but a lot of changes are also under the hood, away from customers' eyes. Notifications is not simply an application, it has to be fully integrated into the OS.

Anyway, I guess we will stay at yearly OS X upgrades for a while until they get something new.
simsaladimbamba is offline   1 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X

Tags
ios, mac osx