Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X

Old Jan 2, 2013, 10:45 PM   #26
Saladinos
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Retrofire View Post
Apple has some ARM source code on opensource.apple.com. I think this means OS X 11.x.x runs on Intel & ARM processors, like Windows 8.
No, that's iOS.

Apple need a big developer release if they want Mac app creativity to increase. AppKit has a lot of extremely complex and awkward to use controls. Apple need a simpler, more refined set of controls closer to UIKit.

Making a great mac app is far more involved than making a great iOS app, especially for beginners. The Mac should modernise its API.
Saladinos is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2013, 12:57 AM   #27
TennisandMusic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lvivske View Post
give it a rest.

----------

I think what he's saying is he'd rather have file libraries assigned to individual, specialized apps, since Finder alone isn't exactly capable of managing all files efficiently seeing as it has to standardize 'files' as we know them. Having specialized UI to manage sets of files makes more sense.

Why do you need traditional file structure, anyway? What do you "compute"?
You can't possibly be this dense, to suggest that being able to access files is not needed these days...
TennisandMusic is offline   7 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2013, 11:10 AM   #28
rabidz7
Banned

Location: Isla De Juventud, south Havana provence, Cincinnati Ohio
All I want is for apple to bring back PowerPC support, although it will never happen...
rabidz7 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2013, 12:11 PM   #29
Lvivske
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by TennisandMusic View Post
You can't possibly be this dense, to suggest that being able to access files is not needed these days...
Only for power users. It has limited everyday application, and there are surely better ways to address file management, as Finder is pretty bad.
Lvivske is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2013, 04:51 PM   #30
unobtainium
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lvivske View Post
Only for power users. It has limited everyday application, and there are surely better ways to address file management, as Finder is pretty bad.
I'm not a power user, and I need to be able to move my files around. For example, I host my iTunes library on an external HD because I ran out of space on my Mac. If I couldn't get at the iTunes library I wouldn't be able to move it.

I often run into cases where I've downloaded a file and there's no application on my computer that can open it. I have to search for the right app for that file type and download it, then locate the file and open it. If there were no file structure, I wouldn't even know where the file was located. Stupid.
Old Jan 4, 2013, 04:54 PM   #31
tigres
macrumors 68040

Here's a thought.
How about the fix everything they broke since 10.6.8; you know- make it work again.

but, they won't-
Old Jan 4, 2013, 05:59 PM   #32
ivnj
macrumors 6502a

http://www.icreatemagazine.com/news/...-release-date/
Old Jan 4, 2013, 06:29 PM   #33
colourfastt
macrumors 6502a

Yipee! You too can have a 27" iTampon!!
Old Jan 4, 2013, 09:52 PM   #34
taptic
macrumors 65816

I think it would be nice if there was a dictate form of Siri so that we could dictate quickly and correctly without it having to load through the internet...
taptic is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2013, 10:38 PM   #35
Solomani
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanker5 View Post
I was just reading some rumors about OS X 10.9, which some folks believe will be named "Lynx".

Siberian Tiger
Solomani is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2013, 02:59 PM   #36
blatopilot
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigres View Post
Here's a thought.
How about the fix everything they broke since 10.6.8; you know- make it work again.

but, they won't-
It's been a long bumpy ride since SL.

Less bloat and more stability would be my vote.

I like my iPhone, but I blame ios. It's a profit machine so all the attention and focus is on mobile...the combination of trying to merge features of ios and osx, with most resources being poured into ios or mobile hardware has left OSX feeling like a permanent beta. Hopefully, with the new leadership structure, OSX's will become a priority again. Even if its not the top priority.
blatopilot is offline   6 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2013, 03:43 PM   #37
TSE
macrumors 68030

Things I want:

1. Less bloat, no explanation needed

2. Fullscreen mode to work properly, if I do fullscreen Safari in desktop 1 with Mission Control, it should be assigned to Desktop 1. This could make it so I can have multiple full screen applications open and I can switch between them easier. Also two fullscreen applications on two monitors.

3. Notifications to do more than what it does. I think it has a lot of potential, just kind of half-assed right now.

4. Improved Safari. Although Safari is my browser of choice, I think it can still be improved. The browser market is always being improved.

5. Less convoluted UI. I feel this will be probably be done in Mac OS 11.

6. iCloud to take up less battery life. Before I turned iCloud off in Mountain Lion, I was consistently getting 3-4 hours of battery life. After I turned it off, I get more in the Snow Leopard range, about 5-6, sometimes 7 hours.

7. Finder needs restructuring. It doesn't serve it's purpose, making finding files, applications, and system workings easier. Hopefully they don't go the iOS route and completely make the under-the-hood stuff invisible, but unfortunately I feel they might.
Old Jan 5, 2013, 04:44 PM   #38
ivnj
macrumors 6502a

Speaking of itampon,

http://www.shinyshiny.tv/2010/01/shiny_poll_the_1.html

or

http://www.tamponcrafts.com/itampon.html
Old Jan 14, 2013, 12:17 PM   #39
Michael Goff
macrumors 68040

I think TSE has it hit on the head pretty hard when it comes to what they're going to do.

I would likely to know what he mans by "less convoluted UI", though.
Old Jan 16, 2013, 09:16 AM   #40
aznboi91
macrumors regular

Predictions for OS X 10.9 and iOS 7?

Any concept ideas? What it would be like? When it would be released?

Some people are saying Siri and Apple Maps integration into Mac OS X, but I don't see any reason to... Do you guys?
aznboi91 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2013, 03:34 PM   #41
wrldwzrd89
macrumors G4

Quote:
Originally Posted by aznboi91 View Post

Some people are saying Siri and Apple Maps integration into Mac OS X, but I don't see any reason to... Do you guys?
Maps not so much. Siri, though, would enable a bunch of features that aren't possible in OS X today - likely branded as expanded Voice Control ( + Siri ).
Old Jan 16, 2013, 04:43 PM   #42
cambookpro
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by aznboi91 View Post

Maps as they're trying to get away from Google, so bringing Maps to Mac would make sense, even if it is a pile of crap. Plus 3D view would look great on a bigger screen.

Siri would be really useful for, say, reading out emails while your working etc. One feature I'd really like to see.
cambookpro is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17, 2013, 01:59 PM   #43
gregorsamsa
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabidz7 View Post
All I want is for apple to bring back PowerPC support, although it will never happen...
Agreed on both counts! Since buying a new Mac in 2011, I've still many OS X native classic gaming titles (eg. Rise of Nations, Age of Empires 2, Starcraft, etc.) that are simply useless to me unless I buy an older pre-Lion OS X Mac. But that hardly seems worth it for gaming alone.

My new Mac serves all my other purposes just fine, but frequently rebooting into Windows simply to play a game eventually became too much hassle.

Thus, selling all those games & buying a new PC is now an increasingly attractive option.

Of course this wouldn't be so if there was a cat's chance in hell of PPC support returning. I'd prefer sticking with Mac even for gaming, but sadly that looks highly unlikely, if not out of the question.
gregorsamsa is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20, 2013, 03:23 PM   #44
bumblebritches5
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Apple has some ARM source code on opensource.apple.com. I think this means OS X 11.x.x runs on Intel & ARM processors, like Windows 8.
... Are you serious right now? what architecture does the iPhone and iPad run on? What OS is iOS based on? There, you just answered your own question.
bumblebritches5 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2013, 03:53 PM   #45
dazed
macrumors 6502a

I'd like touchscreen support and some products that could use it.

I know that's not a popular opinion and people will scream osx is turning into iOS, but I'm finding since I use my iPad so much, that when I go to my iMac using a mouse seems kinda weird and slow.

Most normal os operations could be done with fingers and the more intricate things like photoshop where precision is vital could be mouse or pen.

Flame On....
dazed is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2013, 06:41 PM   #46
MattInOz
macrumors 68030

Quote:
I would have said more the latest cray supercomputers.
Arm Processor to handle system management, User interaction.
x86 and GPU cores handle grunt processing.
They'd need much better process separation before they did that though.
Maybe the real reason behind the sand boxing, XPC, Grand Central, LaunchD over the last many versions of the OS.

I think the change that defines OSx to whats next will be that idea of seemless personal cluster, but we still seem to be aways off from that.
Old Jan 21, 2013, 07:43 PM   #47
TheGdog
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puevlo View Post
Hopefully they remove file management altogether. The iOS method of just having apps works better.
Its a good concept, but there is one big problem. External storage media! Say you connect your flash drive to look at some pictures, you would still need to browse the folders/files on the flash drive. Apple can eliminate the need to browse files in regards to open/save inside of programs. But you will always need some kind of file browser.
Old Jan 21, 2013, 10:34 PM   #48
kmj2318
macrumors 6502a

I think they'll try to further diminish the importance of the file system, but not remove it. There are many users who open a file by first opening the app (just like in iOS), so I think they'll be a better method for viewing files from the app. However, they will still provide a way for people to view all of their files, if they need to.

iTunes 11, Calendar, Messages, Contacts, Notes, and Reminders all use Helvetica. So I see Helvetica completely replacing Lucida Grande sometime in the future.
kmj2318 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 2013, 06:26 AM   #49
wrldwzrd89
macrumors G4

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmj2318 View Post
I think they'll try to further diminish the importance of the file system, but not remove it. There are many users who open a file by first opening the app (just like in iOS), so I think they'll be a better method for viewing files from the app. However, they will still provide a way for people to view all of their files, if they need to.

iTunes 11, Calendar, Messages, Contacts, Notes, and Reminders all use Helvetica. So I see Helvetica completely replacing Lucida Grande sometime in the future.
I agree regarding Helvetica: It just plain looks better at Retina resolutions anyway.
Old Jan 22, 2013, 08:21 AM   #50
rabidz7
Banned

Location: Isla De Juventud, south Havana provence, Cincinnati Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattInOz View Post
I would have said more the latest cray supercomputers.
Arm Processor to handle system management, User interaction.
x86 and GPU cores handle grunt processing.
They'd need much better process separation before they did that though.
Maybe the real reason behind the sand boxing, XPC, Grand Central, LaunchD over the last many versions of the OS.

I think the change that defines OSx to whats next will be that idea of seemless personal cluster, but we still seem to be aways off from that.
A PowerPC G6 cpu could take care of anything tough to process.
rabidz7 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X

Tags
ios, mac osx