Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Dec 18, 2012, 10:52 AM   #1
sixteen12
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Dust/Sand Under Lens of Camera

So I was cleaning my iPhone 5 (wiping it down, etc.) and noticed dust on my camera lens. When I tried to clean it I realize its actually under the lens. Now pictures don't seem to be too affected, maybe a bit more noise. But has anybody else had this problem?

Would Apple replace the phone? This would be the 4th iPhone 5 for me due to a plethora of defects if so.

I'll take a picture when I'm home and have access to another camera.
sixteen12 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2012, 10:56 AM   #2
Jordan921
macrumors 68030
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Bay Area
I'm sure Apple would but if your pictures aren't being affected then I wouldn't worry about it.
Jordan921 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2012, 11:21 AM   #3
sixteen12
Thread Starter
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Yeah its pretty alarming to see. I'll probably pop into the apple store when holiday crowds die down.
sixteen12 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2012, 11:25 AM   #4
apunkrockmonk
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Rochester, NY
I have a launch day 5 that I've kept casefree and in my pocket. Underneath my lense is unacceptably full of dust and it definitely impacts picture quality.

Otherwise my phone is in great condition, I need to get it swapped out soon.
__________________
iPhone 6 64GB iPad Mini 2 32GB
MacBook Pro 13" i5 2.4GHz|8GB|256GB SSD|10.10
Hackintosh i5-3570k @ 4GHz|8GB|2.25TB Fusion Drive|10.10
Leviathan i7-3770 @ 3.9GHz|16GB|10TB HDD|ESXi 10.10 Server
apunkrockmonk is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2012, 11:32 AM   #5
canyonblue737
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
my launch iPhone 5 got several bits of dust under the lens within about 4-5 weeks and two of the pieces became very visible in all photos. apple replaced the phone with no question after seeing the dust visible in photos while in the store. my new phone i have had about 3 weeks and no issues so far.
canyonblue737 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2012, 11:37 AM   #6
sixteen12
Thread Starter
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by apunkrockmonk View Post
I have a launch day 5 that I've kept casefree and in my pocket. Underneath my lense is unacceptably full of dust and it definitely impacts picture quality.

Otherwise my phone is in great condition, I need to get it swapped out soon.
Yup that's the case with mine. I just didn't notice the dust until today.

There is quite a bit of dust. Unacceptable for sure.
sixteen12 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2012, 11:44 AM   #7
canyonblue737
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
For reference my old iPhone 4 was 2 years old when I retired it for my 5. My kids use it now as an iPod touch like device. I just checked it, no visible dust under the lens in 2 years (kept with no case in a pocket 24/7). my launch iPhone 5 had lots of dust including 2 large visible in pictures pieces in weeks.

build issues with the 5, well at least the launch units.
canyonblue737 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2012, 02:49 PM   #8
apunkrockmonk
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Rochester, NY
Quote:
Originally Posted by sixteen12 View Post
Yup that's the case with mine. I just didn't notice the dust until today.

There is quite a bit of dust. Unacceptable for sure.
It must be creeping in through that new back microphone. I'm wondering if it won't be a problem for anyone that has an iPhone 5 for a couple months or more and keeps it in their pocket/purse.
__________________
iPhone 6 64GB iPad Mini 2 32GB
MacBook Pro 13" i5 2.4GHz|8GB|256GB SSD|10.10
Hackintosh i5-3570k @ 4GHz|8GB|2.25TB Fusion Drive|10.10
Leviathan i7-3770 @ 3.9GHz|16GB|10TB HDD|ESXi 10.10 Server
apunkrockmonk is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2012, 04:40 PM   #9
dictoresno
macrumors 68020
 
dictoresno's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: NJ
been a bunch of threads on this already. i brought mine into apple and they were actually able to clean it out for me on the spot. took 5 mins.
__________________
Verizon iPhone 6, 128GB Space Grey
iPad Mini 16GB Black, iPad 1 32 GB Black
iPod Touch 4th Generation 64GB Black
dictoresno is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18, 2013, 11:28 AM   #10
Drewz45
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by dictoresno View Post
been a bunch of threads on this already. i brought mine into apple and they were actually able to clean it out for me on the spot. took 5 mins.
How did they get it out?
Drewz45 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18, 2013, 11:37 AM   #11
Rocko1
Banned
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewz45 View Post
How did they get it out?
Pop screen off, blow air, put screen back.
Rocko1 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18, 2013, 11:59 AM   #12
dictoresno
macrumors 68020
 
dictoresno's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: NJ
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewz45 View Post
How did they get it out?
They opened the phone up and removed it. It was stuck to the inside of the lens and actually left a residue. It was probably from the manufacturing process
dictoresno is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18, 2013, 07:42 PM   #13
MXSkier62
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Happened to me for my iPhone 5. Couldn't get the dust out, so they gave me a new iphone. Took all of 2 minutes. Pretty sweet if you ask me.
__________________
13" 2011 MBA, 1.7 GHz i5, 4 GB RAM, 256 GB SSD;
iPad 2 32 GB; iPhone 4 32 GB
MXSkier62 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 25, 2013, 09:14 AM   #14
flashflooder
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
I just noticed dust in my iPhone 5. I am going to return it to the store, this will be the THIRD i5 I've had this issue with. Major problem with the longevity of this model. Dust will probably find its way in there eventually, most likely after your 1 year warranty is expired.
flashflooder is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 25, 2013, 11:51 AM   #15
aliensporebomb
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Minneapolis, MN, USA, Urth
Send a message via AIM to aliensporebomb Send a message via Yahoo to aliensporebomb Send a message via Skype™ to aliensporebomb
Exclamation Like this?



No, that's not a bird I've captured. It's some piece of debris or dust that's INSIDE the lens cavity somewhere. I've shaken it up, dusted it off with a microfiber cloth and the same issue occurs. It's inside.

Visiting Apple today at 12:30. Sigh. That's what Applecare is for I guess.
__________________
ASB Music Web is at http://www.aliensporebomb.com/
"This is Aliensporebomb" (a soundtrack with no film) is available at http://itunes.apple.com/us/album/thi...mb/id391880218
aliensporebomb is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 25, 2013, 12:43 PM   #16
Satnam1989
Banned
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Illinois
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by dictoresno View Post
They opened the phone up and removed it. It was stuck to the inside of the lens and actually left a residue. It was probably from the manufacturing process
thats correct its from the manufacturing process....because I just got my iPhone 5 replaced 3 days ago..yesterday evening noticed a dust particle sitting on the camera lens body on the inside of the glass, can move it by shaking my iPhone vigorously lol

Called apple to have them note it on the account, will have it replaced soon...
Satnam1989 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 25, 2013, 12:58 PM   #17
flashflooder
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Well, since I made that post this morning 2-3 more pieces of dust are showing up inside my lens.

I really can't believe I'm going to have to get this thing swapped out a 4th time for the same issue. I can only imagine what people's iPhone 5's are going to look like 1-2 years down the road.


Also, I disagree that it's from manufacturing. It has taken weeks/months for the dust to show up on my 3 different iPhone 5's. The dust is getting in there somehow.
flashflooder is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 27, 2013, 09:34 AM   #18
aliensporebomb
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Minneapolis, MN, USA, Urth
Send a message via AIM to aliensporebomb Send a message via Yahoo to aliensporebomb Send a message via Skype™ to aliensporebomb
Exclamation And.....

They swapped my phone. This is phone #2 that's had similar problems with debris in the lens area within a several month period when it was fine when it was purchased. I usually keep my phone in my pants pocket when I'm not using it but for this one I'm keeping it on my desk at work or at home so time spent in a pocket filled with fabric fibers is minimized. Maybe that will help.

I get the idea the thing is just a dust magnet to some degree. I predict camera improvements on the 5S.
__________________
ASB Music Web is at http://www.aliensporebomb.com/
"This is Aliensporebomb" (a soundtrack with no film) is available at http://itunes.apple.com/us/album/thi...mb/id391880218
aliensporebomb is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 1, 2013, 11:37 AM   #19
Bunny.lin
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Hi everyone,
I got my iPhone as a gift in mid-October and i have just noticed that my iPhone 5 has dust under the camera as well.. it also seems to be affecting the photo quality but unless on white background it isn't as noticeable. There is also a problem with the power (sleep/wake) button, where it only seems to work when pressed repeatedly and sometimes only works to the left. But this only happens every 3 out of 10 times.
I was wondering if i take it to apple store if they would replace or fix the phone for me. The only thing that worries me is that my iPhone has a few scratches on the corner and a dent in the metal on the corner as well. I am worried that they will say that because of that my warranty is no longer valid. Plus if they looks at the power button I am worried that knowing my luck the button will work when they try it.
Other than these scratches and a dent there r not scratches on the front screen or the back.
What r the chances that they will replace the phone for me? and could me dropping the phone have resulted in the power button now working even though the left side of the phone that has the dent and the button is on the right.
The apple store in about 1+ hours drive from house and I don't want to go there before getting advice from someone first.

I have attached photos of the iPhone 5 camera and the dust in it plus a photo that i took of my white ceiling which shows black smudges.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	photo1.JPG
Views:	19
Size:	6.8 KB
ID:	420845   Click image for larger version

Name:	photo 3.JPG
Views:	19
Size:	107.4 KB
ID:	420846   Click image for larger version

Name:	photo 5.JPG
Views:	26
Size:	102.8 KB
ID:	420847  


Last edited by Bunny.lin; Jul 1, 2013 at 12:06 PM.
Bunny.lin is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 1, 2013, 12:03 PM   #20
Bunny.lin
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Zoomed in photos of the camera + the photos of the dent

These photos show the dent that is on my phone and the overall condition of the phone..
I have a also attached the photo of the dent that is on the phone..
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	photo 3.JPG
Views:	20
Size:	28.8 KB
ID:	420871   Click image for larger version

Name:	photo 5.JPG
Views:	13
Size:	62.5 KB
ID:	420872   Click image for larger version

Name:	photo 7.JPG
Views:	15
Size:	108.8 KB
ID:	420873  

Click image for larger version

Name:	photo 8.JPG
Views:	15
Size:	34.6 KB
ID:	420874  
Bunny.lin is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 1, 2013, 12:08 PM   #21
mikeydeezy
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: MN, USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunny.lin View Post
Hi everyone,
I got my iPhone as a gift in mid-October and i have just noticed that my iPhone 5 has dust under the camera as well.. it also seems to be affecting the photo quality but unless on white background it isn't as noticeable. There is also a problem with the power (sleep/wake) button, where it only seems to work when pressed repeatedly and sometimes only works to the left. But this only happens every 3 out of 10 times.
I was wondering if i take it to apple store if they would replace or fix the phone for me. The only thing that worries me is that my iPhone has a few scratches on the corner and a dent in the metal on the corner as well. I am worried that they will say that because of that my warranty is no longer valid. Plus if they looks at the power button I am worried that knowing my luck the button will work when they try it.
Other than these scratches and a dent there r not scratches on the front screen or the back.
What r the chances that they will replace the phone for me? and could me dropping the phone have resulted in the power button now working even though the left side of the phone that has the dent and the button is on the right.
The apple store in about 1+ hours drive from house and I don't want to go there before getting advice from someone first.

I have attached photos of the iPhone 5 camera and the dust in it plus a photo that i took of my white ceiling which shows black smudges.


Head on over to the Apple Store. The damage shown (as much as I can make out) wouldn't invalidate your warranty. And that amount of dust is unacceptable.
__________________
Ordered: T-Mobile iPhone 6 Plus Gold 128GB
Date: 11/14/2014 @ 4PM
Shipped on: 11/17/2014
mikeydeezy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 1, 2013, 12:16 PM   #22
Bunny.lin
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeydeezy View Post
Head on over to the Apple Store. The damage shown (as much as I can make out) wouldn't invalidate your warranty. And that amount of dust is unacceptable.
I have made an appointment for Wednesday evening.. This will be my first time dealing with the apple genius bar.. any words of advice?
What issue should I push towards the most the camera dust or the power button not working all the time..
could the fall have damaged the power button?
Bunny.lin is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 1, 2013, 12:21 PM   #23
Toppa G's
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: The exurbs, MN
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunny.lin View Post
I have made an appointment for Wednesday evening.. This will be my first time dealing with the apple genius bar.. any words of advice?
What issue should I push towards the most the camera dust or the power button not working all the time..
could the fall have damaged the power button?
I showed the person at the Genius Bar a picture like your first one (with the spots on photos taken from the camera) and was given a replacement immediately without issue. I think that should be all you need to do.
__________________
Aw, cheese.
Toppa G's is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 1, 2013, 01:02 PM   #24
mikeydeezy
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: MN, USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunny.lin View Post
I have made an appointment for Wednesday evening.. This will be my first time dealing with the apple genius bar.. any words of advice?
What issue should I push towards the most the camera dust or the power button not working all the time..
could the fall have damaged the power button?

Don't suggest anything about that button unless asked. Don't outright lie but also don't give the genius an easy way out.

I'd take more pictures to illustrate the issue. In fact take a picture of something in-store while you wait to further illustrate the problem.

But please do not fail to mention both issues. Last thing you want is him fixing one problem with a repair and overlooking your other issue.

Also be prepared to wait. I've never been helped at my actual appt time.
__________________
Ordered: T-Mobile iPhone 6 Plus Gold 128GB
Date: 11/14/2014 @ 4PM
Shipped on: 11/17/2014
mikeydeezy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 1, 2013, 03:48 PM   #25
Bunny.lin
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeydeezy View Post
Don't suggest anything about that button unless asked. Don't outright lie but also don't give the genius an easy way out.

I'd take more pictures to illustrate the issue. In fact take a picture of something in-store while you wait to further illustrate the problem.

But please do not fail to mention both issues. Last thing you want is him fixing one problem with a repair and overlooking your other issue.

Also be prepared to wait. I've never been helped at my actual appt time.
Any chance they will do the fix/replace for free? or will i have too pay?
Has anyone had a bad experience with taking this issue to the apple genius bar people?
Bunny.lin is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
iPhone 5 Dust Under Camera Lens silverbullet361 iPhone 18 Jul 3, 2014 08:13 AM
Dust / bits around camera lens ijon01 iPhone 10 Mar 6, 2014 05:08 AM
had dust under camera lens, replaced out of warranty! wmitch iPhone 5 Oct 11, 2013 04:23 AM
Dust/sand stuck behind camera lens - how do I get it out? petrucci666 iPhone 1 Mar 28, 2013 07:03 PM
Dust entering through mike next to Camera lens. richard371 iPhone 20 Jan 17, 2013 05:29 AM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:07 PM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC