Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Apple TV and Home Theater

Old Dec 18, 2012, 11:32 AM   #1
SteelBlueTJ
macrumors 6502

Can I plug my Apple TV directly into my Mac Pro?

I am just wondering if I can plug my Apple TV 2 into my Mac Pro via ethernet? The Mac Pro has two Gigabit ethernet ports so I was wondering if the Apple TV would still operate correctly if I connected it this way instead of using Wifi? I would have an ethernet line coming out of the router into my Mac Pro then out of the Mac Pro into the Apple TV. Would this work? I never utilized both ethernet ports on my Mac Pro so I'm not sure it it would essentially act as in and out. My Apple TV is about 8 feet away from my Mac Pro anyway so I was just curious as it would save me from hogging up another port on my airport extreme. I know I can use it via wifi but I prefer hard wired if possible since it so close to everything anyways. Thanks
SteelBlueTJ is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2012, 01:42 PM   #2
bbeagle
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelBlueTJ View Post
I am just wondering if I can plug my Apple TV 2 into my Mac Pro via ethernet?
Short answer: No.

Long answer: Yes, with the proper software installed to make your Mac Pro a router. The 2nd port would be a proxy to talk to the router through itself.
bbeagle is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2012, 01:55 PM   #3
jwm2
macrumors regular

Not quite sure about OSX but windows had an internet sharing protocol built in that would allow you to share the internet connection. IMO the best thing to do is just buy another router or switch/hub. That way you can plug in your apple tv and more devices via ethernet. Just connect the internet port of the new router/hub/switch to any of the output ports of the other router.
Old Dec 18, 2012, 02:53 PM   #4
reebzor
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via AIM to reebzor
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbeagle View Post
Short answer: Yes.
FTFY

Plug it in and turn on Internet Sharing on you MP from Eth1 (MP-router) to Eth2 (ATV-MP)
Old Dec 18, 2012, 03:35 PM   #5
JAT
macrumors 603

If you still have a port on the router, just use that. When you do run out, ethernet switches are cheap.

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Apple TV and Home Theater