Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > iMac

Old Dec 17, 2012, 03:44 PM   #1
thepiks
macrumors newbie

2012 iMac 27' Screen Color not as white as 2011

When I first purchased my 2011 iMac, I also purchased the Thunderbolt display for a 2 screen setup. I was astonished at how much whiter the Thunderbolt display was than my 2011 iMac. It was the main reason I upgraded merely a year later. I sold my thunderbolt display and ordered the 2012 iMac. Today it arrived and I must say, I am extremely disappointed in the color. Now, my 2011 iMac makes the 2012 look brown! I couldn't even imagine the 2012 next to the thunderbolt, it would be unbearable.

I am looking for others that have the new 27" iMac and would like to see your screens. Here is a picture, my 2011 iMac on the left and the brand new 2012 iMac on the right. It looks even worse in person.

http://i.imgur.com/iH0Er.jpg

I'm taking this back, ASAP.
thepiks is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2012, 03:45 PM   #2
Mister Bumbo
macrumors 6502

Are you using the same color profile on both machines?
Mister Bumbo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2012, 03:53 PM   #3
thepiks
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Bumbo View Post
Are you using the same color profile on both machines?
yes

----------

another example:

http://i.imgur.com/BYd54.jpg
Old Dec 17, 2012, 04:30 PM   #4
thepiks
macrumors newbie

anyone else having same problem with the screen?
Old Dec 17, 2012, 04:35 PM   #5
Yamcha
macrumors 68000

Since your using the same color profile, I'm guessing it could be yellow tinting..
Old Dec 17, 2012, 04:42 PM   #6
mgipe
macrumors Demi-God

If you want individual displays to match, you need to individually calibrate them with a proper sensor (Eye One or similar)
mgipe is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2012, 04:42 PM   #7
thepiks
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yamcha View Post
Since your using the same color profile, I'm guessing it could be yellow tinting..
is this something that a can be fixed or something that a new iMac would not have? OR will this be the color of all new iMacs?
Old Dec 17, 2012, 04:55 PM   #8
themcfly
macrumors regular

i mean... why don't you just calibrate it with a color profile you like?

You are noticing that yellow tint only because you are comparing it to the old one. Just calibrate it towards a cooler white point and you're perfectly fine. Actually i think you are already perfectly fine the way it is now.
themcfly is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2012, 04:56 PM   #9
WilliamG
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by thepiks View Post
is this something that a can be fixed or something that a new iMac would not have? OR will this be the color of all new iMacs?
The reason calibration tools exist is because no two panels will be the same. Just calibrate your new one with a colorimeter.
Old Dec 17, 2012, 05:19 PM   #10
Richard Peters
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgipe View Post
If you want individual displays to match, you need to individually calibrate them with a proper sensor (Eye One or similar)
This
Old Dec 17, 2012, 05:43 PM   #11
kfscoll
macrumors 6502a

Here we go again.

Just calibrate the display and don't worry about it.
Old Dec 17, 2012, 06:37 PM   #12
thekev
macrumors 603

Quote:
The different screen coating may be the cause of this. It's also possible that the maximum brightness is lower to keep power consumption and heat down. I'm not sure, but this is most likely normal. Apple doesn't publish a lot in the way of tech specs. I think they used to publish maximum brightness, which is one of the few display tech specs that doesn't lie. I can't find one on this machine. If you saw the max brightness I use, you might think it's funny. The one on the right definitely looks a bit warmer, but I wouldn't use the left as a reference grade device. It's simply what you're used to today.

Quote:
Well there's nothing you can do about brightness levels. Some people suggested calibration which is really just writing a new profile based on certain measured values to adjust the gains and gamut description. It can probably yield a slightly cooler white, although it wouldn't necessarily be any brighter.
Old Dec 18, 2012, 09:13 PM   #13
TheSpeaker
Banned

Quote:
No, you're just being a nitpicker, potentially delusional. But you just conveniently shattered the screen so I guess it doesn't matter.
TheSpeaker is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2012, 09:27 PM   #14
Blkant
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSpeaker View Post
No, you're just being a nitpicker, potentially delusional. But you just conveniently shattered the screen so I guess it doesn't matter.
Exactly. With in a day the guy created an account, complained of its whiteness, of other color issues, you name it, and then when people requested images showed a seriously blurry photo of some apple monitors side by side with no indication of issues. Then, within that same time frame posts he shattered it.

Really...?
Blkant is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2012, 10:53 PM   #15
bretm
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blkant View Post
Exactly. With in a day the guy created an account, complained of its whiteness, of other color issues, you name it, and then when people requested images showed a seriously blurry photo of some apple monitors side by side with no indication of issues. Then, within that same time frame posts he shattered it.

Really...?
But what would be the point? To point out he's not too bright?
bretm is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > iMac