Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Site and Forum Feedback

Old May 2, 2013, 06:35 AM   #1
cal6n
macrumors 68000

Scam ad spotted.

I was browsing the MacRumors mobile site on my iPhone and was informed I had a message. Clicking it took me to the "Apple Reward Centre" so I could claim my new iPad, if I enter a few details...

I've attached screencaps. Is this a normal ad or has your hosting service been compromised?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0425.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	29.1 KB
ID:	410570   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0426.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	20.0 KB
ID:	410571  
cal6n is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2013, 07:00 AM   #2
SandboxGeneral

Quote:
Originally Posted by cal6n View Post
I was browsing the MacRumors mobile site on my iPhone and was informed I had a message. Clicking it took me to the "Apple Reward Centre" so I could claim my new iPad, if I enter a few details...

I've attached screencaps. Is this a normal ad or has your hosting service been compromised?
I doubt the ad service has been compromised. But that this ad would be classified as an annoying or inappropriate one.

From the FAQ

What do I do about annoying ads?
MacRumors uses an advertising service that supplies ads from a pool. We do not select the specific ads shown or the specific advertisers who participate.

If you find a particular ad especially annoying (e.g., an ad that is oversized, obscures the page, moves around, or has sound), let us know by posting a screenshot in our Site and Forum Feedback forum and telling us the URL it links to. Using this information we can ask to have it removed from the ad pool.

If you find all ads annoying, remember that ads support the site and allow us to provide free news, rumors, and discussion, and that ads are suppressed for paid members. See How do I contribute to MacRumors.com? above.
Old May 7, 2013, 10:55 PM   #3
johnnnw
macrumors 65816

I as well experienced something like this.

I wasn't sure if it was Macrumors or malware I had gotten on my system. Either way luckily I recognized it looked fishy.
johnnnw is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 8, 2013, 05:29 PM   #4
Carlanga
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by SandboxGeneral View Post
I doubt the ad service has been compromised. But that this ad would be classified as an annoying or inappropriate one.

From the FAQ

What do I do about annoying ads?
MacRumors uses an advertising service that supplies ads from a pool. We do not select the specific ads shown or the specific advertisers who participate.

If you find a particular ad especially annoying (e.g., an ad that is oversized, obscures the page, moves around, or has sound), let us know by posting a screenshot in our Site and Forum Feedback forum and telling us the URL it links to. Using this information we can ask to have it removed from the ad pool.

If you find all ads annoying, remember that ads support the site and allow us to provide free news, rumors, and discussion, and that ads are suppressed for paid members. See How do I contribute to MacRumors.com? above.
I wouldn't classify it as an 'annoying ad', since the issue is not that it blocks his viewing of the site, but instead is a fake banner from a renown site so that you are enticed to click it. I would classify it as a scam ad since it's clearly trying to get his apple login information for malicious intent.
Old May 8, 2013, 05:55 PM   #5
SandboxGeneral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlanga View Post
I wouldn't classify it as an 'annoying ad', since the issue is not that it blocks his viewing of the site, but instead is a fake banner from a renown site so that you are enticed to click it. I would classify it as a scam ad since it's clearly trying to get his apple login information for malicious intent.
I understand completely. Either way, the administrators can have it pulled from the ad pool so it doesn't appear on the site again.
Old May 17, 2013, 02:57 PM   #6
rmwebs
Banned

I keep getting the facebook bar one - clearly a questionable advert (in a legal sense, not an annoying sense).
rmwebs is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Site and Forum Feedback