Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Old Dec 18, 2012, 12:20 PM   #1
lke
macrumors member

Why Apple decided to paint the bezel of the black iphone 5

I don't understand why Apple decided to paint the bezel of the black iphone 5.

I am sure that someone at Apple decided to paint the bezel at the last minute of production and because of this it is almost impossible to have a perfect iphone 5 even if you take care of it like nothing else.

On the iphone 5 website they write this:

Look at iPhone 5 and you can’t help but notice the exquisite chamfer surrounding the display. A crystalline diamond cuts this beveled edge. It’s what gives iPhone 5 its distinctive lines. Fitting for a phone so brilliant.

If you have seen a white iphone you will love that mirror finish on the bezel, but on the black iphone someone decided to paint it to black and because of this bad decision almost all iphone 5 have scuffs and scratches on the black bezel.

In the video Jony Ive say this:

We then use crystalline diamonds to cut the chamfers. it is so exact that you're left with a near mirror finish.

Why Jony Ive or else decided on the last minute to paint the chamfers or bezel to black, the mirror finish is amazing I could still don't understandy why they decided to paint it to black.

Maybe some day I will decide to polish the bezel to keep my iphone 5 looking good for years instead of only days.

Here are some photos of the production of the iphone where the machine polish the chamfers.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2012-12-18 at 12.05.45.png
Views:	46
Size:	278.5 KB
ID:	384394   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2012-12-18 at 12.05.57.png
Views:	38
Size:	341.6 KB
ID:	384395   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2012-12-18 at 12.06.18.png
Views:	29
Size:	323.3 KB
ID:	384396  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2012-12-18 at 12.06.27.png
Views:	44
Size:	369.6 KB
ID:	384397   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2012-12-18 at 12.06.38.png
Views:	35
Size:	210.4 KB
ID:	384398  

Last edited by dejo; Dec 18, 2012 at 01:08 PM. Reason: Fixed spelling to avoid derailing.
lke is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2012, 12:23 PM   #2
Tulani
macrumors 6502

It might just be wise to stick with the white one then till next iPhone iteration
Tulani is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2012, 12:46 PM   #3
Mrbobb
macrumors 601

I have to say, when Ive finally writes his memoirs, the i5 would not be his favorite.
Mrbobb is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2012, 12:54 PM   #4
Leonard1818
macrumors 68000

Best part of that post: the pics.

Sent from my flawlessly chamfered and painted iphone 5
Leonard1818 is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2012, 12:55 PM   #5
vastoholic
macrumors 68000

You're generalizing too much. "Almost all iPhone 5 have scuffs on the black bezel." Show me how that statement is true. You can't. You only know what you see online.

My black iP5 does because I've gone caseless and don't care if it gets a few scuffs. But my chamfered edge has an extreme mirror finish. Catching the reflection of the sun off of it sometimes is actually a pain and I sometimes wish it was the same finish as the back and sides. It's the most reflective part of my phone actually.

I'm not sure from your post whether you have a white or black. It sounds like you currently have a white one. Have you owned the black one?

Last edited by vastoholic; Dec 18, 2012 at 01:26 PM. Reason: Thread title spelling fixed.
vastoholic is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2012, 12:59 PM   #6
Jordan921
macrumors 68030

The white phone looks great but I like the black phone alot better. The chamfered edges look great to me.
Jordan921 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2012, 01:13 PM   #7
ppdix
macrumors 6502

The worst iPhone in durability...

I've had all the previous iPhones since 2007... This one (iPhone 5 Black) is by far the worst as far as durability goes.
First, the black sides are painted so dropping or scratching the sides is very noticeable. Also there are 2 pieces of glass in the back. Why? What for? I already cracked one of them!
I must say the aluminum slate back is perfect No scratches and it seems to be more oleo-phobic than plastic...
Still. I am glad i bought Apple Care, so for $50 i get a refurb iPhone.
I will wait to drop it a couple more times and then get it changed.
Old Dec 18, 2012, 01:20 PM   #8
vastoholic
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by ppdix View Post
I've had all the previous iPhones since 2007... This one (iPhone 5 Black) is by far the worst as far as durability goes.
First, the black sides are painted so dropping or scratching the sides is very noticeable. Also there are 2 pieces of glass in the back. Why? What for? I already cracked one of them!
I must say the aluminum slate back is perfect No scratches and it seems to be more oleo-phobic than plastic...
The glass is for reception. Signal can't pass through aluminum effectively. That's why they are there. You know, for someone who has had every single iPhone and been a member since 2001, I would expect you to know that by now.
Old Dec 18, 2012, 01:21 PM   #9
Jordan921
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by ppdix View Post
Maybe you shouldn't drop or scratch your sides and you wouldn't have anything to worry about.
Jordan921 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2012, 01:26 PM   #10
SnowLeopard OSX
macrumors 6502a

The iPhone 4/4S' glass is a more elegant design, although they don't handle drops very well. iPhone 5 handles drops a lot better (doesn't shatter the entire phone, but tiny nicks and scratches are noticeable if and when you bump your phone around (which is bound to happen).

Design-wise, iPhone 4/4S wins in my book.
iPhone |4S White/16GB/ iOS 7.0|3G White/16GB iOS 4.2.1
SnowLeopard OSX is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone