Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Dec 18, 2012, 02:33 PM   #76
Colpeas
macrumors 6502

Should be sued by HTC for copying their design in the first place...

I don't think that calling it iPhone will raise demand for this device.
Colpeas is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2012, 02:34 PM   #77
samcraig
macrumors G5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unggoy Murderer View Post
I wish I had only spent five. In fact, none at all. Just justified my stance on that "OS".

The hardware was quite poor too, screen was nice, but again, nothing that the iPhone 4 or the WinPhone devices couldn't have beaten.

----------

At any point did I say my assessment was thorough? Nope. I was asked if I had used an Android device, I answered. It's ****. End of my input.
I'm confused. You said you used it for 10 minutes. But your hacking of it took 38 minutes?
samcraig is offline   7 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2012, 02:34 PM   #78
Digital Skunk
macrumors 604

Quote:
Originally Posted by samcraig View Post
LOL

You did that all in 10 minutes AND you believe your assessment is a thorough one?

FUNNY guy.
[sarcasm]Hey, maybe she/he is really good at quickly assessing HIS/HER OWN NEEDS[/sarcasm]

It took me about 10 minutes to realize that the iPhone 5 was by far the best iPhone that had ever been produced, and if it had come out three years ago it would be the phone that I would've wanted no doubt. . . . but sadly it's 2012 and I need a current handset that actually does what I need out of the box without having to download 17 loosely related apps that don't do 100% of what I need them to do.

Quote:
I wish I had only spent five. In fact, none at all. Just justified my stance on that "OS".

The hardware was quite poor too, screen was nice, but again, nothing that the iPhone 4 or the WinPhone devices couldn't have beaten.

At any point did I say my assessment was thorough? Nope. I was asked if I had used an Android device, I answered. It's ****. End of my input.
I think the thing people tend to forget is that some people just don't want certain products.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stridder44 View Post
I love hypocrites like yourself.

If Apple is getting screwed over, it's justice. But when an Apple competitor comes along blatantly trying to get money, It's "how dare Apple bully a poor small company like this"
I agree, I don't have much of an opinion of this company, but Apple is the resident bully. It's not 2005, where folks had to defend the PowerPC and MacOSX against Intel and XP.

Last edited by Digital Skunk; Dec 18, 2012 at 02:44 PM.
Digital Skunk is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2012, 02:35 PM   #79
WhoDaKat
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psychj0e View Post
It's probably glaringly obvious to most, but this attitude right here is why most people in the world don't like Americans. I'd even go as far to say in most other nations minds, it's not Brazil who are morons.
It turns out we don't all have to like each other. America doesn't have any obligation to make you like us, and you don't have any obligation to make us like you. See how easy that is?

My quoted statement works the same if you remove the words, American and Brazil and interchange any two countries. If South Africa wants to build a factory in Poland and in turn Polish business try to rip off their intellectual property, then I would give the same advice to the company from South Africa. As much as you'd like it to be, its not about America vs the rest of the world. Its about respect, honor, and integrity. You can side with the IPHONE guys or the Proviews of the world if you like but they are nothing but money hungry cheats that will do whatever they can to take a dollar from someone else. That doesn't mean America doesn't have its fair share of cheats, no one is trying to have a superiority complex here (at least not on my side), I'm just saying company A makes something, they try to take production to a place that benefits them as well as the local economy and in turn local Company B makes them pay frivolously. That is a problem. If I'm from Brazil and have no job, I'd be thankful for the opportunity, same as any American with no job is thankful for new jobs coming in. In America, most people don't even know who owns the company. My wife works for Accenture which is based Dublin. If I own the trademark to AcccEnture and I sue, no one says I hope that dirty Irish company gets what it has coming to it! People think the trademark holder is the moron and if he ends up costing the area jobs they'll be pissed!

In the end though we are all f'd anyway because people like you, who are I'm sure the majority, look at a blanket statement like the one I made and you go right to the BOO America, and this is why we all hate you thing. To me thats pathetic. We are all citizens of one world. I see the ignorance and hubris that many of you from outside the US see us having but to be honest, to think that ignorance is solely American, is to be just as ignorant as you claim we are. Hitler didn't come from the US, Mao didn't come from the US, Pol Pot didn't come from the US, we aren't all quite the douche bags you think we are.
WhoDaKat is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2012, 02:35 PM   #80
SmileyBlast!
macrumors 6502

Those crazy Brazilians.
SmileyBlast! is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2012, 02:36 PM   #81
rmwebs
Banned

Quote:
Android sure does look dull...
Shows how little you know about Android if you think it looks anything like that as stock
rmwebs is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2012, 02:38 PM   #82
Renzatic
macrumors 604

Quote:

You know, I hated OSX when I first used it. Thought it worked ass backwards and was unintuitive compared to how I was used to using a computer.

Same thing with Linux.

Both of them took about 2-3 days before I started getting a feel for everything, seeing how they worked. Contrary to popular belief, even the easiest OS in the world has a transitional period, specially when you're used to using something else.

In short, your 10 minutes time was a snap judgement made due to preconceived notions. There's no way you could determine something is good or not after that short an amount of time.
Renzatic is offline   7 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2012, 02:39 PM   #83
samcraig
macrumors G5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digital Skunk View Post
Hey, maybe she/he is really good at quickly assessing HIS/HER OWN NEEDS
Right. But I was addressing what he said here "how the consumer can use it - let alone like it - is well beyond me."

I acknowledged that he is, of course, entitled to his assessment based on his use case. But that clearly there are millions of people who manage just fine.
samcraig is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2012, 02:39 PM   #84
uknowimright
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
I'm confused. You said you used it for 10 minutes. But your hacking of it took 38 minutes?

that's what I was thinking
uknowimright is online now   4 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2012, 02:41 PM   #85
WhoDaKat
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArcaneDevice View Post
Hahahahaha, someone is naive enough to think that Apple is introducing the iPhone there purely for altruistic reasons and not (as every other major company in the entire world does) because it's a new and expanding market that's prime profit opportunity.

Who said it was for altruistic reasons? Clearly no business would be there unless there was a financial benefit. But that doesn't mean any good that comes to Brazil should be discounted. Your statement would only be true if the world had run out of expanding markets and Brazil was the only one left. I'm pretty sure China could take a few more factories. This isn't about altruism, but in the end production facilities in Brazil, helps Brazil, right? Save the smart ass answer. The Brazilian government would bend over backwards to get Foxconn and Apple in their country and for good reason. Heck the government in NY is doing their best back flips to get that new chip factory.
WhoDaKat is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2012, 02:42 PM   #86
Dr McKay
macrumors Demi-God

Send a message via MSN to Dr McKay Send a message via Skype™ to Dr McKay
Quote:
Android sure does look dull...
That isnt what Android looks like, its a manufacturer skin.

This is how Android looks by default.

Thumb resize.
Old Dec 18, 2012, 02:43 PM   #87
Digital Skunk
macrumors 604

Quote:
Right. But I was addressing what he said here "how the consumer can use it - let alone like it - is well beyond me."

I acknowledged that he is, of course, entitled to his assessment based on his use case. But that clearly there are millions of people who manage just fine.
No sweat, I totally agree with you. I need to add sarcasm tags to the previous post.

I try to give "certain members" the benefit of the doubt. In this case you're right, you can't make a decision about an OS based on 10 minutes in a phone store.

I couldn't even make my final decision on the iPhone 5 until I held it in hand with no security strings on it. Even now, I don't necessarily loath the phone or iOS.

Same thing for Mac OSX. It took me about a month or so before I finally dumped XP, and there was still many days of transition after that.
Old Dec 18, 2012, 02:45 PM   #88
samcraig
macrumors G5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digital Skunk View Post
No sweat, I totally agree with you. I need to add sarcasm tags to the previous post.

I try to give "certain members" the benefit of the doubt. In this case you're right, you can't make a decision about an OS based on 10 minutes in a phone store.

I couldn't even make my final decision on the iPhone 5 until I held it in hand with no security strings on it. Even now, I don't necessarily loath the phone or iOS.

Same thing for Mac OSX. It took me about a month or so before I finally dumped XP, and there was still many days of transition after that.
FYI - I didn't think you were trying to poke a hole in my post. I was just clarifying (I guess) to make it clear what I was responding to.
Old Dec 18, 2012, 02:47 PM   #89
xkmxkmxlmx
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessica. View Post
Whatever. Fanboys will see it only as a money grab. I see it as opportunistic.
...an opportunity to 'cash grab' then?

If you know me at all, you would know I am not a fanboy. You're just as bad as a fanboy, quick to throw around the phrase.

I know you've embraced your little attitude over the years here, but no one is impressed.
Old Dec 18, 2012, 02:50 PM   #90
iRCL
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessica. View Post
You've likely never tried it.

A money grab? If they had the name since 2000 how can it really be a money grab?
How can you argue that the SS shown is not garbage?

And yes of course it can easily be a money grab if they've done nothing with it in 12+ years until now

Confused as to your angle on this

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by xkmxkmxlmx View Post
...an opportunity to 'cash grab' then?

If you know me at all, you would know I am not a fanboy. You're just as bad as a fanboy, quick to throw around the phrase.

I know you've embraced your little attitude over the years here, but no one is impressed.
lol just saw this after posting
iRCL is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2012, 02:51 PM   #91
decimortis
macrumors 6502

but when is the white version coming out?

D.
Old Dec 18, 2012, 02:53 PM   #92
GenesisST
macrumors 65816

Quote:
I have, was on a HTC One XL at my University (We were testing Android's security, that was a laugh!). It was pathetic, got absolutely NOTHING on iOS. The Android user experience is one of the worst 'computing' platforms I've ever seen, how the consumer can use it - let alone like it - is well beyond me.
Well, that's the thing... If someone actually does like it and prefer it, who the **** are we to tell them otherwise... geez, let's get over ourselves, these are just "phones"...
Old Dec 18, 2012, 02:54 PM   #93
ncaissie
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by topgunn View Post
They are asking for two brazillian dollars.
"brazillian" LOL I love that word!
Old Dec 18, 2012, 03:02 PM   #94
Unggoy Murderer
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Yeah, plugged into a desktop and we left it. The device was "sleeping", but was actually being brute-forced via USB. I "played" with the device for about 10 minutes.
Old Dec 18, 2012, 03:03 PM   #95
aerok
macrumors 65816

Quote:
I had about 10 minutes of use with the device.
Yes because 10 minutes ie nough to make a judgement on an eclectronic product...

Quote:
Let's start with the responsiveness and consistency of the UI. I would have got more response out of poking a potato. The whole home screen is, to me, a nightmare, it's not clear what you can actually do with it. App launcher made sense. What's the point on asking me what app to launch if there's only one app listed?
Your school must have a mutant potato, not getting anything on mine...
On the serious side, One XL is hella responsive, I don't know what you smoked. And at least Android asks you what you want to use, unlike other companies that limit you to their default choice.

Quote:
About the Apps... yeah, they were poor. Stock apps were okay (obviously designed for the device), but the rest through the Marketplace... meh. Comparing an App running side by side with my iPhone 4 (at the time), the iPhone 4 was running it faster (lower load times, seemingly higher frame rate)
You need to post examples of apps, as far as I know, load times is highly dependant on the connection speed for most apps.

Quote:
The whole point of the exercise: security. Put it this way, an iPhone 4 with an 8 char passcode is pretty much unhackable. Same passcode on Android, plugged into a basic Intel Core i5 desktop PC, took about 38 minutes to break it. Face unlock, we were able to use a Facebook picture to get past it.
Use swipe lock, unhackable for now.

Quote:
Android is a pathetic, unoptimised, insecure mess. I stand by my previous comment, iOS is significantly better than Android at just about everything. (Except the USB drive functionality, you can have that one).
Too many people will disagree with that one. I don't even know where to begin, you are so wrong in every level

Quote:
At the end of that particular lab, fellow students opinion on Android were quickly changed. As of my last lab, nobody had an Android device, they'd swapped them for Win8 devices, iPhone 4S/5's and even a BlackBerry.
Yeah because a BB is more responsive

Quote:

Did I answer your question?
Yes you are extremely biased, to the point your logic disapears.
Old Dec 18, 2012, 03:03 PM   #96
HelveticaRoman
macrumors 6502

Apple could probably buy Brazil.
HelveticaRoman is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2012, 03:06 PM   #97
samcraig
macrumors G5

Quote:
Originally Posted by aerok View Post
Yes because 10 minutes ie nough to make a judgement on an eclectronic product...

I still find it hard to believe that not only did he judge the phone in 10 minutes but that he did everything that he said he did to GET his assessment in only 10 minutes.
Old Dec 18, 2012, 03:08 PM   #98
Unggoy Murderer
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr McKay View Post
That isnt what Android looks like, its a manufacturer skin.

This is how Android looks by default.

Thumb resize.
...Yeah, so? It still looks dull. There's nothing there, a skinny clock and a few icons, wow, really vibrant and exciting! Wasted pixels.
Old Dec 18, 2012, 03:08 PM   #99
chr1s60
macrumors 65816

I'm sure it will be a high quality phone.
Old Dec 18, 2012, 03:12 PM   #100
Unggoy Murderer
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by aerok View Post
Yes you are extremely biased, to the point your logic disapears.
Lol, and I'm the Android Fanboy hanging out on an Apple rumours website. *giggles*

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion