Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ryanstewart

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 23, 2011
Los Angeles, CA
Hey everybody!

I've never really liked iPhoto, and am now trying to figure it out a bit better and make it more useful to me. I don't really get the point of "Events". I have an iPhone 4S with iOS 6 and Photo Stream turned on, and that's where most of my photos come from. However, I often save images that I get sent through iMessages/emails from friends and family.

The only setting I can find related to events is under the General Preferences, where I have "Autosplit into Events" set to "One event per week". Can someone explain what this really means? Does that means that every week it will create an event with photos from the last 7 days? Because looking back over the last couple of months, I tend to have a couple of events per month, and then one event for that months Photostream. But I definitely take at least 5 photos per week.

Also, I just imported a photo and a video from my internal drive into iPhoto, and while it shows up under the "Photos" section, it did not create a new event. The creation date for the video was today, so there's no way it would've been added to an old event. Are events supposed to contain your entire photo library?

I'd like to make events useful to me, but I don't really know how to do that. Thanks for the help!

glenthompson

macrumors demi-god
Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
I don't use Photo Stream but the options you've selected should do what you want. In iPhoto preferences what is set for Photo Stream? Is automatic import turned on? If not, it requires you to do the import.

I found "iPhoto '11 The Missing Manual" to be a good reference for learning iPhoto and getting it to do what you want. I read it before deciding to use iPhoto as my photo manager app.

ryanstewart

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 23, 2011
Los Angeles, CA
I found "iPhoto '11 The Missing Manual" to be a good reference for learning iPhoto and getting it to do what you want. I read it before deciding to use iPhoto as my photo manager app.

Interesting - I ended up reading a good chunk of that as well, and it solved most of my problems. Turns out the reason I wasn't seeing new events for new photos was by default the events were somehow sorted manually and I just had to change it to by date, and there they all were. Now I should be good to go, thanks!

Wendy Farkas

macrumors newbie
Oct 20, 2014
I found Gary's MacMost video tutorials to be most helpful.:)

It also helped to conceptualize the Events as a catalog of your images. You don't manipulate them there. But you create the desired Albums below, and then drag your photo into the Album (thereby creating a link). It's the albums that are manipulated. That and flagging an image with desired keywords, Faces and Places will allow you to to customize the collection in many useful ways.

Look for the tutorial about Flagging, as that can be a useful feature.

Let me know if you find any resources that you find particularly helpful.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.