Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Dec 19, 2012, 08:20 PM   #51
zbarvian
macrumors 68000
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by VinegarTasters View Post
This response is skewed. That is over a year ago when large screens just picked up. It also includes tons of manufacturers that don't have the budget to make large size phones in volume (LCD costs more money in large size). Do you want a fair assessment?

Ask a manufacturer that makes sizes in all sizes and ask them which sells the most? Ask Samsung. If I remember correctly, the Galaxy S3 and Galaxy Note 2 are all 4.3 inches or larger (your definition of large size). My definition of large size is enough to put in 1080p. (I can handle 4.5-5.5 no problem). And I see what you did there, shifting to size, rather than tackle the 1080p problem.

As for seeing detail, just look at the reviews. People say the HTC Droid DNA screen trumps all smartphone displays? Why? They all say the 1080p. So yes, there is a perceptual difference. It IS a 1+1=2 simple answer. 1080p looks better. Besides, only at 1000ppi can you not tell the difference between pixels when holding it about 6 inches in front of your eyes. The iPhone is only 326ppi. And this is scientific degree arc calculation from eye experts.

So in conclusion, this dodging the large screen and 1080p is gonna cost Apple 1.5 years of lost time and customers (that is if they wake up). If they don't wake up and stick to the small screen size, they are gonna repeat themselves over again, as even slow java android has more marketshare than them right now just simply being able to ride the tech wave (larger screen, faster processor, more variety, etc).
The extra sharpness of the DNA's panel is nice, but it's not a gamechanger. Some even say it's not even noticeable until up close. Plus, it causes additional battery and processor strain. By the way, there doesn't seem to be a consensus on the PPI at which the naked eye can no longer discern pixels, seeing as how only like 3 "experts" chimed in on the subject and none had agreeing opinions.
zbarvian is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2012, 08:20 PM   #52
oplix
macrumors 6502a
 
oplix's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by VinegarTasters View Post
Here are 3 features that iPhone 5 lacks BADLY.

1) Image Stabilization

To see what pretty GOOD image stabilization is like, look at this video (done in software after the fact):

YouTube: video

View the above again in full screen and select 1080p to appreciate it.

2) NFC

Metro/Subway and Starbucks payments not withstanding, but where is that door opening, room entering light and music on technology? GPS won't work here because you could trigger it a block away. Bluetooth 4.0 I don't think can handle it yet.

3) 1080p wider screen. (You know why the stocks are down currently because of lower demand than usual).
You just can't really take any post that mentions lack of NFC seriously. The point to NFC is that it eliminates your wallet completely otherwise any modern bank debit card has NFC built in. some banks even offer NFC stickers you can stick the back of your phone.

please get real.
__________________
iPhone 5 32GB White 7.1.2 JB | Mid-2010 13" Macbook Pro | Apple TV 2g JB | Custom-built 2500k 4.8ghz GTX 680
oplix is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2012, 08:44 PM   #53
DodgeV83
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by VinegarTasters View Post
This response is skewed. That is over a year ago when large screens just picked up. It also includes tons of manufacturers that don't have the budget to make large size phones in volume (LCD costs more money in large size). Do you want a fair assessment?

Ask a manufacturer that makes sizes in all sizes and ask them which sells the most? Ask Samsung. If I remember correctly, the Galaxy S3 and Galaxy Note 2 are all 4.3 inches or larger (your definition of large size). My definition of large size is enough to put in 1080p. (I can handle 4.5-5.5 no problem). And I see what you did there, shifting to size, rather than tackle the 1080p problem.

As for seeing detail, just look at the reviews. People say the HTC Droid DNA screen trumps all smartphone displays? Why? They all say the 1080p. So yes, there is a perceptual difference. It IS a 1+1=2 simple answer. 1080p looks better. Besides, only at 1000ppi can you not tell the difference between pixels when holding it about 6 inches in front of your eyes. The iPhone is only 326ppi. And this is scientific degree arc calculation from eye experts.

So in conclusion, this dodging the large screen and 1080p is gonna cost Apple 1.5 years of lost time and customers (that is if they wake up). If they don't wake up and stick to the small screen size, they are gonna repeat themselves over again, as even slow java android has more marketshare than them right now just simply being able to ride the tech wave (larger screen, faster processor, more variety, etc).
Even if it were true that the HTC Droid DNA screen trumps all smartphone displays (not making that concession), that does not mean you will perceive more detail while using that screen compared to the iPhone 5, especially since you'll be holding that huge screen much further away from your eyes.

I doubt you could even focus your eyes on the Droid DNA at 6 inches from your face, that is incredibly close. Measure it and see, 6 inches is roughly the distance from your thumb to your middle finger if you hold your hand out. Hold your eye to your thumb, and put your phone where your middle finger is, that's the distance you're talking about here.

The data says, "Data collected during a 7-day period ending October 1, 2012". It is not from over a year ago.

We did ask Samsung, or more accurately, the courts asked Samsung. Their answer was the Prevail, a prepaid model with a 3.2" display.

Samsung Galaxy Prevail is Samsung’s best-selling US Smartphone since June 2010, says court documents

The demand isn't there. According to Google's data, the iPhone 5 is either equal in size, or bigger than 93.9% of all Android devices.

Apple doesn't care about marketshare, they care about profits. HP was the marketshare leader in the consumer PC business last year, and they still tried to get out. Apple well ahead of every other smartphone manufacturer combined, you're going to need more than 6.1% of all of the competition's phones in order to convince them to change their ways.
DodgeV83 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2012, 08:48 PM   #54
hyteckit
Guest
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by VinegarTasters View Post
This response is skewed. That is over a year ago when large screens just picked up. It also includes tons of manufacturers that don't have the budget to make large size phones in volume (LCD costs more money in large size). Do you want a fair assessment?

Ask a manufacturer that makes smartphones in all sizes and ask them which sells the most? Ask Samsung. If I remember correctly, the Galaxy S3 and Galaxy Note 2 are all 4.3 inches or larger (your definition of large size). My definition of large size is enough to put in 1080p. (I can handle 4.5-5.5 no problem). And I see what you did there, shifting to size, rather than tackle the 1080p problem.

As for seeing detail, just look at the reviews. People say the HTC Droid DNA screen trumps all smartphone displays? Why? They all say the 1080p. So yes, there is a perceptual difference. It IS a 1+1=2 simple answer. 1080p looks better. Besides, only at 1000ppi can you not tell the difference between pixels when holding it about 6 inches in front of your eyes. The iPhone is only 326ppi. And this is scientific degree arc calculation from eye experts.

So in conclusion, this dodging the large screen and 1080p is gonna cost Apple 1.5 years of lost time and customers (that is if they wake up). If they don't wake up and stick to the small screen size and lack of 1080p headon, they are gonna repeat their disaster all over again (old apple II and mac losing to competitors), as even slow java android has more marketshare than them right now just simply being able to ride the tech wave (larger screen, faster processor, more variety, etc). And we have windows phone around the corner with a faster OS, just waiting for apps, but not hampered by egos.
Haha... what a ridiculous argument.

According to your argument, most people going to stop buying a iPhone 5, Nexus 4, Galaxy S3, or Galaxy Note 2 because it lacks 1080p. Everyone will be buying the Droid DNA for its 1080p screen.

Because most people are blind and hold their phones 6 inches in front of their eyes.


I don't think it's Apple or consumers that need to wake up. I think it's you that needs to wake up.

The iPhone and Galaxy phones will continue to be the biggest sellers regardless of whether it's 1080p or not.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by oplix View Post
You just can't really take any post that mentions lack of NFC seriously. The point to NFC is that it eliminates your wallet completely otherwise any modern bank debit card has NFC built in. some banks even offer NFC stickers you can stick the back of your phone.

please get real.
He is still refusing the tell us how far "Powered NFC" (Near Field Communication) goes.

He's arguing "Powered NFC" is much better than a NFC card/sticker because it works much further away, but won't tell us how far.
hyteckit is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2012, 08:57 PM   #55
aPple nErd
macrumors 68000
 
aPple nErd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Jailbreaks/IOS Hacks
To OP:




1) How often do you wish you had this? i mean honestly?


2) Gimmick
Bump does this with media and you can just hold your iPhone up to the scanner with passbook. so whats the point?


3) The iPhone screen is retina and as i believe is also in 16:9 aspect ratio meaning widescreen. it fits most videos perfectly. I don't see what you are getting at...
aPple nErd is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2012, 09:04 PM   #56
DodgeV83
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by aPple nErd View Post
To OP:




1) How often do you wish you had this? i mean honestly?


2) Gimmick
Bump does this with media and you can just hold your iPhone up to the scanner with passbook. so whats the point?


3) The iPhone screen is retina and as i believe is also in 16:9 aspect ratio meaning widescreen. it fits most videos perfectly. I don't see what you are getting at...
The best part is, I've shown him that the iPhone already has #1, and multiple options for additional processing if you want it (DollyCam, Luma Camera), and he hasn't responded to it.

I already showed him how every phone can do #2, either through an application on your computer, or with solutions like this, and he hasn't responded to that either.
DodgeV83 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2012, 09:41 PM   #57
VinegarTasters
Thread Starter
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by DodgeV83 View Post
Even if it were true that the HTC Droid DNA screen trumps all smartphone displays (not making that concession), that does not mean you will perceive more detail while using that screen compared to the iPhone 5, especially since you'll be holding that huge screen much further away from your eyes.

I doubt you could even focus your eyes on the Droid DNA at 6 inches from your face, that is incredibly close. Measure it and see, 6 inches is roughly the distance from your thumb to your middle finger if you hold your hand out. Hold your eye to your thumb, and put your phone where your middle finger is, that's the distance you're talking about here.

The data says, "Data collected during a 7-day period ending October 1, 2012". It is not from over a year ago.

We did ask Samsung, or more accurately, the courts asked Samsung. Their answer was the Prevail, a prepaid model with a 3.2" display.

Samsung Galaxy Prevail is Samsung’s best-selling US Smartphone since June 2010, says court documents

The demand isn't there. According to Google's data, the iPhone 5 is either equal in size, or bigger than 93.9% of all Android devices.

Apple doesn't care about marketshare, they care about profits. HP was the marketshare leader in the consumer PC business last year, and they still tried to get out. Apple well ahead of every other smartphone manufacturer combined, you're going to need more than 6.1% of all of the competition's phones in order to convince them to change their ways.
Can you stop being sneaky with trickery to try to win arguments without the facts? In that link where is Samsung Galaxy S3? Where is Galaxy Note 2? That case was tried so long ago, even the Galaxy Note 1 is not included. The only phone in that report that is close is Galaxy S2 with 480 x 800 resolution (4.2 inches). That is not an HD phone, that phone tries to compete with iPhone 4 low resolution. Again, if you want fair assessment, just look at percentage with large screen sizes in it. Not when it is not released, not when it was "just released", but something that had enough time for large unit count of large screens to factor in. Also, let me ask you honestly, would you buy a Prevail over a Galaxy S3 phone because it is smaller? You buy it because it is FREE with a contract. So there is NO choice in the matter. If you had choice between a free 3.2 inch phone and a free 5.5 inch note2 or 4.3 inch galaxy 3, you would choose the latter two. And yes, we can open a poll here, with a small sample size of forum users to get a fast answer.

If you continue to use trickery without due concern for facts, then there is no point in continue to provide facts to you. It is like an emperor with no clothes, in your own mind you are right, and in that story, it is the ego that is preventing the emperor from seeing the light.

For the other two suggestions, NFC and image stabilization... Let me ask you, how the hell do you get into a plane when the battery in your iPhone is dead, and the plane leaves immediately? You can't take the battery out and swap in a new one can you? Unpowered NFC works with or without power. Passbook has too many problems. No internet connection to get new passes because airports or planes don't allow wi-fi or cellular? They force you in AIRPLANE mode? No plane is gonna wait for you to find a power outlet to recharge your phone for half an hour just for you provide a passbook app to run. And no, I would not try to find another iPhone to put in details, especially security details that other people can have access to later (if you can find someone willing to trust you, and you willing to trust them).

As for image stabilization. Try doing the same test as the first video shown with an iPhone 5. If you need software to do it later, what is the point of the feature in the first place? It is lacking or lacks options to make it useful. This is common sense. If you film a video with iPhone 5 stabilization and it is not good enough, do you put that video through youtube stabilization again? NO! The iPhone 5 video will lose details during stabilization (it will zoom in and use only middle area of scene). You will not use the stabilization feature of iPhone 5 and just take the film regularly, and THEN feed that video directly to youtube stabilization. At least that way you get the original with all the details for the better stabilization, rather than poor stabilization with low details (from iPhone 5) fed into another good stabilization process that loses even more details. So either iPhone 5 needs good stabilization, or NO ONE WILL USE IT if they need good stabilization with software. What is the point in putting in a substandard stabilization if you can't tweak it to something that is good? It is like the Maps app disaster... lets just put something out that is "subpar" just to say we have it. No, you put something out people will USE. Not something people will complain about and not use.
__________________
iPhone Secrets:
http://www.edepot.com/iphone.html

Last edited by VinegarTasters; Dec 19, 2012 at 10:04 PM.
VinegarTasters is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2012, 10:07 PM   #58
throAU
macrumors 68030
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Perth, Western Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by VinegarTasters View Post

In 2009 people went digital (DTV standard, replace analog) to 1280x720 and 1920x1080. What did Apple do? It released iPhone 3GS at 480x320 (even worse). It had one year to correct itself and instead of going 1280x720 (to meet minimum HD resolution), it went 960x640 for iPhone 4 in 2010. You still can't fit any HD in that without rescaling (losing detail)..

Yes, in theory you lose detail scaling HD content to fit an iPhone 4's or 5's retina display.

However, it is detail YOU CAN'T SEE at that screen size, and therefore a moot point. There is ZERO point having a 1920x1080 display on a 3-5 inch screen, because the pixels are too small to see at roughly half that resolution anyway.

The iPad 3/4, which DOES have a bigger screen does not lose detail on its 2048x1536 display.
__________________
MBP (early 2011) - Core i7 2720 2.2ghz, Hires Glossy, 16GB, Seagate Momentus XT 750GB
Mac Mini (mid 2007) - Core2 Duo 1.8, 2gb, 320gb 7200 rpm
iPhone 4S, iPad 4, iPad Mini, HTC One (eval)
throAU is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2012, 10:31 PM   #59
DodgeV83
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by VinegarTasters View Post
Can you stop being sneaky with trickery to try to win arguments without the facts? In that link where is Samsung Galaxy S3? Where is Galaxy Note 2? That case was tried so long ago, even the Galaxy Note 1 is not included. Again, if you want fair assessment, just look at percentage with large screen sizes in it. Not when it is not released, not when it was "just released", but something that had enough time for large unit count of large screens to factor in. Also, let me ask you honestly, would you buy a Prevail over a Galaxy S3 phone because it is smaller? You buy it because it is FREE with a contract. So there is NO choice in the matter. If you had choice between a free 3.2 inch phone and a free 5.5 inch note2 or 4.3 inch galaxy 3, you would choose the latter two. And yes, we can open a poll here, with a small sample size of forum users to get a fast answer.

If you continue to use trickery without due concern for facts, then there is no point in continue to provide facts to you. It is like an emperor with no clothes, in your own mind you are right, and in that story, it is the ego that is preventing the emperor from seeing the light.

For the other two suggestions, NFC and image stabilization... Let me ask you, how the hell do you get into a plane when the battery in your iPhone is dead, and plane leaves immediately? You can't take the battery out and swap in a new one can you? Unpowered NFC works with or without power. Passbook has too many problems. No internet connection to get new passes because airports or planes don't allow wi-fi or cellular? They force you in AIRPLANE mode? No plane is gonna wait for you to find a power outlet to recharge your phone for half an hour just for you provide a passbook app to run. And no, I would not try to find another iPhone to put in details, especially security details that other people can have access to later (if you can find someone willing to trust you, and you willing to trust them).

As for image stabilization. Try doing the same test as the first video shown with an iPhone 5. If you need software to do it later, what is the point of the feature in the first place? It is lacking or lacks options to make it useful. This is common sense. If you film a video with iPhone 5 stabilization and it is not good enough, do you put that video through youtube stabilization again? NO! The iPhone 5 video will lose details during stabilization (it will zoom in and use only middle area of scene). You will not use the stabilization feature of iPhone 5 and just take the film regularly, and THEN feed that video directly to youtube stabilization. At least that way you get the original with all the details for the better stabilization, rather than poor stabilization with low details (from iPhone 5) fed into another good stabilization process that loses even more details. So either iPhone 5 needs good stabilization, or NO ONE WILL USE IT if they need good stabilization with software. What is the point in putting in a substandard stabilization if you can't tweak it to something that is good? It is like the Maps app disaster... lets just put something out that is "subpar" just to say we have it. No, you put something out people will USE. Not something people will complain about and not use.
Let's review the facts I have presented:

1. Current Data: Google data from the 7 day period ending October 1, 2012, show 6.1% of Android users have screens at 4.3" or higher.

2. Historical Data: From June 2010 to July 2012, Samsung's best selling phone was the Prevail, with a 3.2" screen.

You have presented no facts or sources to refute this data.

Regarding NFC, here is the quote from your original post:

Quote:
Metro/Subway and Starbucks payments not withstanding, but where is that door opening, room entering light and music on technology? GPS won't work here because you could trigger it a block away. Bluetooth 4.0 I don't think can handle it yet.
You explicitly removed mobile payments and Metro/Subway access from the conversation, instead focusing on things happening when you walk into your room. I provided many solutions for that. Why are you talking about airplanes now?

On image stabilization, I can produce video directly from my iPhone 5, without post processing it after the fact, that matches the smoothness seen in the video. What more can I say?
DodgeV83 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2012, 11:05 PM   #60
Abazigal
macrumors 68020
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Singapore
I suspect everyone is engaged in a 'chicken and egg' game with regards to NFC.

Apple might be waiting for NFC to become more mainstream before they introduce it in their phones, but at the same time, other industries may well be waiting for Apple to include in in their phones before they can justify the investment to roll out NFC.

I still think Apple will eventually introduce a proprietary version of NFC that incorporates passbook and thus works only on IOS devices.
Abazigal is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2012, 02:19 AM   #61
hyteckit
Guest
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
I find it funny when someone is complaining about a phone not being 1080p when most laptops aren't even 1080p or better.

I just bought a 17" Windows 8 laptop. Only 900p.

I'm betting than 1% of laptops sold are 1080p or better.

Look at Amazon's top 20 laptops. None are 1080p or better.
hyteckit is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2012, 03:22 AM   #62
Lindsford
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by VinegarTasters View Post
Can you stop being sneaky with trickery to try to win arguments without the facts? In that link where is Samsung Galaxy S3? Where is Galaxy Note 2? That case was tried so long ago, even the Galaxy Note 1 is not included. The only phone in that report that is close is Galaxy S2 with 480 x 800 resolution (4.2 inches). That is not an HD phone, that phone tries to compete with iPhone 4 low resolution. Again, if you want fair assessment, just look at percentage with large screen sizes in it. Not when it is not released, not when it was "just released", but something that had enough time for large unit count of large screens to factor in. Also, let me ask you honestly, would you buy a Prevail over a Galaxy S3 phone because it is smaller? You buy it because it is FREE with a contract. So there is NO choice in the matter. If you had choice between a free 3.2 inch phone and a free 5.5 inch note2 or 4.3 inch galaxy 3, you would choose the latter two. And yes, we can open a poll here, with a small sample size of forum users to get a fast answer.

If you continue to use trickery without due concern for facts, then there is no point in continue to provide facts to you. It is like an emperor with no clothes, in your own mind you are right, and in that story, it is the ego that is preventing the emperor from seeing the light.

For the other two suggestions, NFC and image stabilization... Let me ask you, how the hell do you get into a plane when the battery in your iPhone is dead, and the plane leaves immediately? You can't take the battery out and swap in a new one can you? Unpowered NFC works with or without power. Passbook has too many problems. No internet connection to get new passes because airports or planes don't allow wi-fi or cellular? They force you in AIRPLANE mode? No plane is gonna wait for you to find a power outlet to recharge your phone for half an hour just for you provide a passbook app to run. And no, I would not try to find another iPhone to put in details, especially security details that other people can have access to later (if you can find someone willing to trust you, and you willing to trust them).

As for image stabilization. Try doing the same test as the first video shown with an iPhone 5. If you need software to do it later, what is the point of the feature in the first place? It is lacking or lacks options to make it useful. This is common sense. If you film a video with iPhone 5 stabilization and it is not good enough, do you put that video through youtube stabilization again? NO! The iPhone 5 video will lose details during stabilization (it will zoom in and use only middle area of scene). You will not use the stabilization feature of iPhone 5 and just take the film regularly, and THEN feed that video directly to youtube stabilization. At least that way you get the original with all the details for the better stabilization, rather than poor stabilization with low details (from iPhone 5) fed into another good stabilization process that loses even more details. So either iPhone 5 needs good stabilization, or NO ONE WILL USE IT if they need good stabilization with software. What is the point in putting in a substandard stabilization if you can't tweak it to something that is good? It is like the Maps app disaster... lets just put something out that is "subpar" just to say we have it. No, you put something out people will USE. Not something people will complain about and not use.
Screen size sales etc. is irrelevant to everyone except the person actually using the phone. You talk about prevail being FREE on contract... The S3 was 97cents at Sam's Club Black Friday, along with AAFES stores on base/post for military. Also Wasn't T-mobile giving them away for free?

Sample Size poll of forum users sounds like a mess as that would result in less then 0.1% of actual Smart Phone ownership.... which means nothing.


Your Plane Scenario makes me laugh.
Couldn't you just go to the desk and have the plane ticket printed up?
Take half an hour to charge up enough to turn on? What are you smoking?

I get your point was if the phone is dead then Passbook is useless, but you exaggerated your scenario to heavily favor your opinion. -1 point.
Lindsford is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2012, 03:51 AM   #63
hyteckit
Guest
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by VinegarTasters View Post
No internet connection to get new passes because airports or planes don't allow wi-fi or cellular? They force you in AIRPLANE mode? No plane is gonna wait for you to find a power outlet to recharge your phone for half an hour just for you provide a passbook app to run. And no, I would not try to find another iPhone to put in details, especially security details that other people can have access to later (if you can find someone willing to trust you, and you willing to trust them).
Haha... more silly arguments. You are just making up stuff that aren't true.

When did airports ban cellular access or cell phone use? Some airports even have cell phone charging stations. Some provide free wifi access or access for a fee.

Again, why can't you just get a NFC card?

So how far does you 'powered NFC' go? Still haven't answered that yet.


Solution to your non-sense arguments. Plan better.

Don't forget your plane tickets at home. Don't forget your phone at home. Make sure you have your passport if needed. Make sure your phone batteries are charged. You can buy external battery backup for the iphone.

If you have such poor planning, what good is NFC if you left that at home, lost it, or drop it in the toilet?

Last edited by hyteckit; Dec 20, 2012 at 03:57 AM.
hyteckit is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2012, 04:20 AM   #64
Nale72
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Sweden
Quote:
Originally Posted by oplix View Post
You just can't really take any post that mentions lack of NFC seriously. The point to NFC is that it eliminates your wallet completely otherwise any modern bank debit card has NFC built in. some banks even offer NFC stickers you can stick the back of your phone.

please get real.
How come almost everyone get stuck on NFC as payment? NFC can do so much more than that. Below are links to articles that explains some possible areas where you can benefit from NFC now and in the future. And I don't give much for those who say that there is no need for NFC when there is Passbook, because I don't think Passbook can do all of this:

http://blog.freestyleinteractive.co....-uses-for-nfc/

http://howto.cnet.com/8301-11310_39-...ndroid-device/
Nale72 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2012, 05:20 PM   #65
bigjim83
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Iphone people must have the smallest hands if that's the only device they can use one handed
bigjim83 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2012, 05:37 PM   #66
nickchallis92
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
I don't understand the people who are saying NFC is DOA

NFC works with all technology that supports contactless cards. Here in the UK, all new debit cards issued are contactless and so businesses are going to implement wireless card readers (which will work with google wallet).

All the big corporations have wireless terminals. I went into Primark the other day and even they did! The technology is out there is people want to stop masterbating over the iPhone
nickchallis92 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2012, 05:50 PM   #67
Random 995K
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
LOOOOL NFC xD I really see that being used often. The reality is the majority of companies will not implement something into their products or services unless Apple puts it into their iPhone and encourages them.
__________________
iPhone 64GB iPad 4 iMac 21.5 (2010)
Random 995K is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2012, 07:12 PM   #68
hyteckit
Guest
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nale72 View Post
How come almost everyone get stuck on NFC as payment? NFC can do so much more than that. Below are links to articles that explains some possible areas where you can benefit from NFC now and in the future. And I don't give much for those who say that there is no need for NFC when there is Passbook, because I don't think Passbook can do all of this:

http://blog.freestyleinteractive.co....-uses-for-nfc/

http://howto.cnet.com/8301-11310_39-...ndroid-device/
Now I don't want NFC on my Android phone even though my Note 2 has it. Can launch any link without asking for permission? Sounds like a security issue.

"If an NFC tag that contains a link is scanned, the Android device will not ask for permission before launching the browser. Scary, right? Questions regarding security come to mind, but can you imagine the possibilities?"
hyteckit is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2012, 08:34 PM   #69
nickchallis92
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
security?! Someone would have to turn your phone on and come right up to you and tap your phone.

all this, of course, assumes he's written malicious software too.

Quite frankly, if someone's gone to the effort to write that kind of virus, they're not doing it right and it's an awful way of doing it

Last edited by maflynn; Dec 21, 2012 at 05:37 AM.
nickchallis92 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2012, 09:05 PM   #70
hyteckit
Guest
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickchallis92 View Post
security?! Someone would have to turn your phone on and come right up to you and tap your phone.

all this, of course, assumes he's written malicious software too.

Quite frankly, if someone's gone to the effort to write that kind of virus, they're not doing it right and it's an awful way of doing it
But according to the OP, VinegarTasters, this "powered NFC" lets you go much further. Too bad VinegarTasters can't tell us how far it goes.

NFC, a security risk.

http://www.eweek.com/c/a/Security/An...ia-NFC-843123/
http://arstechnica.com/security/2012...artphone-hack/
http://www.redorbit.com/news/technol...d-smartphones/

Last edited by maflynn; Dec 21, 2012 at 05:37 AM.
hyteckit is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2012, 09:22 PM   #71
AFDoc
macrumors 68000
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Colorado Springs USA for now
Quote:
Originally Posted by MassiveAttack View Post
These same questions were asked years back:.....and so on....
Do you get it?
IF people are/were asking these questions then why did they buy the iPhone? Are consumers really that stupid that they purchase something they know won't satisify their wants in any given device and then bitch about it? I guess so.
IF you purchase something and it doesn't do what you want, how is that the product designers fault? IF you buy something not knowing if it does X that you want it to do how is that the designers fault? Consumers need to freakin step up and take some responsibility for their purchases. IF device X doesn't do what you want it to do then don't buy device X, easy solution to a non problem. IF you (consumer) bought an iPhone, don't bitch about what it can't do because you as the consumer bought it..... do you get it?

I'm not defending apple in any way, shape or form but I can't stand when consumers buy something then bitch about what it doesn't do no matter the purchase.
AFDoc is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2012, 09:28 PM   #72
w00t951
macrumors 68000
 
w00t951's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: 116th & Broadway
Quote:
Originally Posted by SomeDudeAsking View Post
Japan & other asian countries would like to have a word with you. Or does nothing exist outside of America?
I'm South Korean and I've never seen nor used NFC (in Korea). We're basically keeping NFC on life support with Samsung's support of the standard.
__________________
MacBook Pro 15" Retina, Nexus 5, Tower of Power (i7-4770K @ 4.5 GHz, GTX 780 @ 1202/6800MHz)
w00t951 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2012, 09:30 PM   #73
kadillac
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
NFC is meaningless for 99% of people.
kadillac is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2012, 09:54 PM   #74
VinegarTasters
Thread Starter
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by hyteckit View Post
But according to the OP, VinegarTasters, this "powered NFC" lets you go much further. Too bad VinegarTasters can't tell us how far it goes.

NFC, a security risk.

http://www.eweek.com/c/a/Security/An...ia-NFC-843123/
http://arstechnica.com/security/2012...artphone-hack/
http://www.redorbit.com/news/technol...d-smartphones/
Of all the posts, this reply has some legitimate links. Unlike the previous poster trying to trick his way into winning an argument providing a link that does not show any large screen size Samsung phones. It is kind of hard to imagine no one knows Galaxy S3 and Note2 sells more phones than any other brands in Samsung. Isn't it all over the news? S3 is 4.8 inch. Not 4.3 as previously stated. If of all phones Samsung sells this S3 phone the most, something must have lighted up in people's heads that people like large screen sizes (you don't need to squint ). Phones should be designed to be size of wallet, not hand. Over 1000 years of wallet making don't you think they know what size is best for your pocket and hand?

But back to these links. Yes I know I may be wasting my time with hired posters, but for the sake of argument, lets get down to the facts here. What is powered NFC? A powered NFC is NFC supported by power so that depending on antenna size and power input, can be designed to reach any specified distance. So this how far will it reach is like asking how far can a cell tower reach. Irrelevant question, as you can design it to reach however far you want! Depends on antenna and power input. An example of powered NFC is build by china mobile for their wallet NFC that is built within the SIM card(neat eh?). The NFC can now change phones with the sim. Because of poor reception inside phone, the NFC takes power from battery to extend outside the phone casing interference.

And all this talk about security issues is moot. Security in NFC can be augmented by one time pad sequential tokens that are not hackable. Tokens get used only one time, copies are useless (if people capture your communication from far away). For those who don't know what I am talking about, try google authenticator app. It has seed based tokens, but is similar with time stamp that prevents copies of communication from being useful. But this is a simple problem so simple to fix I don't know why this is even relevant here. Powered NFC provides mechanism for on the fly flash storage modification, not just at swipe connection. Any security protocol can be augmented. RSA public tokens for identity, needing private key for signing legitimate per use tokens at swipe. If I am going over your head because you are just a hired poster, Good. It means you need more than just trickery to discredit these facts.
__________________
iPhone Secrets:
http://www.edepot.com/iphone.html
VinegarTasters is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2012, 10:16 PM   #75
hyteckit
Guest
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by VinegarTasters View Post

But back to these links. Yes I know I may be wasting my time with hired posters, but for the sake of argument, lets get down to the facts here. What is powered NFC? A powered NFC is NFC supported by power so that depending on antenna size and power input, can be designed to reach any specified distance. So this how far will it reach is like asking how far can a cell tower reach. Irrelevant question, as you can design it to reach however far you want! Depends on antenna and power input. An example of powered NFC is build by china mobile for their wallet NFC that is built within the SIM card(neat eh?). The NFC can now change phones with the sim. Because of poor reception inside phone, the NFC takes power from battery to extend outside the phone casing interference.
So what's the answer? You brought up the scenario about using a phone with NFC to turn on my lights. So we are talking about NFC on Android phones.

How far can the NFC on a Note 2 or S3 go? How far can my Note 2 be away from a NFC tag/device to activate my lights at home?

2cm? or less than 1 inch?

Quite a simple question you can't seem to answer.

Or maybe you found out the answer and too afraid to admit you are wrong because it only works a few inches away.

Last edited by hyteckit; Dec 20, 2012 at 10:34 PM.
hyteckit is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Basic stuff that IOS 7 still lacks ajiuo iOS 7 10 Aug 2, 2013 06:54 PM
Several iPhone 3GS problems, Help needed badly suupergirl iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting 1 Feb 17, 2013 09:41 AM
Siri lacks What old Voice control had macness iOS 6 8 Jan 19, 2013 09:40 AM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:19 AM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC