Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Dec 18, 2012, 07:52 PM   #51
bungiefan89
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krazy Bill View Post
Cook made the short list? He looks taller on stage.
*rimshot* Good one!
On Topic: I can't think of many people who should be on the list. A lot happened this year, and I think I'm kind of leaning towards Barack Obama because of the election (which seems like a lazy, but solid choice) or Malala because of the broader issues she represents: violence against women, violence against children, the struggles of people around the world to get an education, the ongoing fight against senseless extremists.

But... Tim Cook? I would loose any respect I have for Time if they chose him as the most important person of 2012. They may as well select George Lucas for selling Star Wars to Disney at that rate.
Old Dec 18, 2012, 07:54 PM   #52
fozzy.bear
macrumors newbie

Maybe if the stock were $800

Overseeing a 30% drop in the value of the company certainly qualifies him for something...but Man of the Year? I think not!
fozzy.bear is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2012, 08:19 PM   #53
RolyPolyBird
macrumors regular

Should never have made a shortlist of anything, he has made bad choices since taking over and his leadership (at least in the top job) capacity is unproven. That said I am rooting for him to take accolades in the years to come.

Typical mainstream media ********.
RolyPolyBird is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2012, 08:25 PM   #54
ArcaneDevice
macrumors 6502a

As a lot of you are missing the point of Time's list and didn't read the post, I'll reiterate.

This is not an award of merit, it's an award for the person/thing who generated the most response, news coverage and/or cultural shift in the past year. Positive, negative or both.

I'm not impressed with either since the two events which I thought both focused attention and united eyes in interest (mine at least) were the last year of the space shuttle Endeavour and Baumgartner making his jump.

The shuttle has had massive impact over it's life and it went out in style this year.

edit: at a push I would vote for Curiosity too, just for the eccentricity of it's design.
ArcaneDevice is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2012, 08:28 PM   #55
rturner2
macrumors member

"for better or for worse"

For worse.... so now we reward people that do "bad" things with the title "Person of the Year". Geez Time Mag, shame on you.
rturner2 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2012, 08:30 PM   #56
ArcaneDevice
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by rturner2 View Post

For worse.... so now we reward people that do "bad" things with the title "Person of the Year". Geez Time Mag, shame on you.
Not been following the news long then? Maybe you should look at some past winners. It's the way the award has always been given out.

It's a zeitgeist indicator.
Old Dec 18, 2012, 08:40 PM   #57
maroontiger2k9
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxwelltech View Post
How could Tim Cook be the Person of the Year if Steve Jobs did not even make it?
hmm.. i thought he got it in 2010... i was wrong
maroontiger2k9 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2012, 09:02 PM   #58
FrogsterDude
macrumors newbie

As many have said, Cook is a great business man, maybe one of the best, but he is not exactly person of the year... sorry. I mean, if Steve Jobs didn't get it posthumously last year I'm not sure Cook is more deserving.

Also, I know it's person of the "year" but Jobs was well deserving for all he has done for the world by founding Apple. His company has completely changed the course of the human race.
FrogsterDude is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2012, 09:05 PM   #59
Rogifan
macrumors G3

Quote:
Originally Posted by fozzy.bear View Post
Overseeing a 30% drop in the value of the company certainly qualifies him for something...but Man of the Year? I think not!
30% drop since when? The stock price at the beginning of the year was around $405. Today it closed at $533. That's not a 30% drop.
Old Dec 18, 2012, 09:06 PM   #60
LaidBack
Contributor

Here are the poll results for Time's person of the year 2012.
http://www.time.com/time/specials/pa...129111,00.html

It looks like Tim Cook is near the bottom of the list.
LaidBack is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2012, 09:17 PM   #61
mixel
macrumors 65816

Send a message via AIM to mixel Send a message via MSN to mixel Send a message via Yahoo to mixel
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaidBack View Post
Here are the poll results for Time's person of the year 2012.
http://www.time.com/time/specials/pa...129111,00.html

It looks like Tim Cook is near the bottom of the list.
That poll doesn't decide anything though, and it was totally (hilariously) messed up by 4chan, who got Kim Jong Un at number one and managed to make the chart spell out KJU GAS CHAMBERS..

http://kotaku.com/5969335/north-kore...olled-by-4chan

You couldn't make this stuff up.
mixel is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2012, 09:18 PM   #62
LagunaSol
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie Num Nums View Post
Pretty sad that CEO, the people that Obama and the media are fighting against, is a person of the year nominee. You know the 1%. The guys who mark up everything 45%.
Obama is in the 1%. Big media are in the 1%. Let's not be so gullible.
LagunaSol is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2012, 09:29 PM   #63
Mattie Num Nums
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by LagunaSol View Post
Obama is in the 1%. Big media are in the 1%. Let's not be so gullible.
I voted from Gary Johnson. Enough said.
Old Dec 18, 2012, 09:40 PM   #64
ArcaneDevice
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrogsterDude View Post
As many have said, Cook is a great business man, maybe one of the best, but he is not exactly person of the year... sorry. I mean, if Steve Jobs didn't get it posthumously last year I'm not sure Cook is more deserving.
Jobs omission was glaring but as I've said before this is not a measure of success. It's a measure of influence.

Cook took the reins of Apple this year, released iPhone 5 and various other products, sent the Apple stock higher, ****ed up Maps publicly, became the highest paid CEO in the world ...

in short HE MADE NEWS.

And that's why he's on the list.
Old Dec 18, 2012, 10:41 PM   #65
zukernik
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacRumors View Post
Malala Yousafzai, the young Pakistani activist who suffered a head wound after being shot by the Taliban, United States President Barack Obama, Egyptian president Mohamed Morsi, Bill and Hillary Clinton, and the three scientists behind the discovery of the Higgs Boson.
He got shot that many times by so many different people?
zukernik is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2012, 11:19 PM   #66
DisMyMac
macrumors 65816

At least he's a real guy. In the past they awarded it to fictional characters, intelligence fronts, - wait a minute... What does this say about Tim?
DisMyMac is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2012, 11:21 PM   #67
Chabba
macrumors member

Nothing Tim Cook, or Apple can do will compare to the things Malala did and the **** she went through. She's a badass little girl.
Chabba is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2012, 12:19 AM   #68
yauzers619
macrumors member

Malala Yousafzai all the way.

Tim Cook can be POY in 2013 when he moves all manufacturing of every Mac Product line to the US and still remains profitable.
yauzers619 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2012, 12:23 AM   #69
eyhk
macrumors member

I find it absolutely hilarious that everybody is griping about Tim Cook when Marissa Mayer from frickin Yahoo got on the short list as well.
eyhk is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2012, 01:27 AM   #70
porky
macrumors regular

Send a message via MSN to porky
WTF, Mohamed Morsi???? The new dictator? Didn't they follow the news the last weeks?
porky is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2012, 02:37 AM   #71
Chabba
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by porky View Post
WTF, Mohamed Morsi???? The new dictator? Didn't they follow the news the last weeks?
Hitler was Person of the Year, Stalin twice, Khrushchev, Deng Xioping and Putin. The person of the year doesn't have to be a good or well liked person.
Chabba is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2012, 02:42 AM   #72
pancakedrawer
macrumors regular

Kim Jong Un is leading the polls by a long way thanks to 4chan. It will be interesting to see what Time does about that. His photo certainly isn't amongst those being promoted.
pancakedrawer is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2012, 03:12 AM   #73
Pyrrhic Victory
macrumors regular

A lot of you don't seem to understand that the Time Person of the Year award has nothing to do with heroism or virtue. That's why Morsi is on the list and I would have to consider him the favorite, if they are really considering a global perspective.
Pyrrhic Victory is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2012, 03:32 AM   #74
Solomani
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by LagunaSol View Post
I think Cook is doing a great job, but Person of the Year seems premature. Much like Obama winning the Nobel Peace Prize his first year in office.
I agree. Year 2012 was basically the year that Tim Cook survived the "Steve Jobs is Dead, No One Can Lead Apple Any More" meme. The world had high expectations of him to lead Apple in a post-SJ era, and Cook did a solid job. It was the minimum he could do.

Now if Cook can continue and build his successes in 2013, and show the world that Apple can have a blockbuster year (in 2013) in a post-Steve era, THEN he might deserve recognition like Person of the Year.

I'm not just talking about blockbuster year for sales. I'm actually talking about Apple being a huge success in all fronts that matter... like bolstering its brand image (recently under assault from various mistakes like Maps), or perhaps even coming to a resolution/settlement with the thermonuclear war against Samsung/Google.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chabba View Post
Hitler was Person of the Year, Stalin twice, Khrushchev, Deng Xioping and Putin. The person of the year doesn't have to be a good or well liked person.
Correct.

Time gives the recognition to individuals that have had GREAT influence on current events. Hitler and Stalin were two examples, and their actions affected millions upon millions of people on this planet. In other words, they made a mark on this world (for better or for worse).
Solomani is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2012, 04:11 AM   #75
tann
macrumors 65816

Obama

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion