Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jlspaldi

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 14, 2011
Hi, I'm a college student who has a class that has password protected Real Player video tapes of the lectures. I'd like to re-watch parts of the lectures over my winter break so I can correct flaws in my understanding before I move on to next semester's material. Unfortunately, doing this off campus is basically impossible because the streaming video is only usable in terms of bandwidth when I'm on campus.

How could I possibly capture this video and save it to my computer? I've been using iShowUHD to just basically videotape the screen while the videos are playing, but this is a time and CPU-intensive process, and I can't finish this before I have to leave campus for the semester.

The source URL looks kind of like this: http://*******.edu:8080/***/***/***.rm

I need to enter a username and password.

Is there a directory that Real Players saves these streams to? I understand that there are some Windows utilities like WM Recorder that reportedly do this, and I have Windows installed on a hard drive in my computer, but I prefer to avoid using it because most of my files are on the OS X disk. Is there any way to quickly capture these streams? They download pretty quickly on campus, so I'd like to avoid having to wait for the video to actually play if possible.

I hope this isn't a redundant post. I've looked pretty extensively for analogues of this issue somewhere else and I haven't really found them for the OS X platform. If you're worried about legal issues, I called my library up and they said this was fine as long as it wasn't shared with anyone and was for personal limited use. If you have time to answer in the next couple of days, that would be ideal, because I have to leave campus soon.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.