Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Old Dec 18, 2012, 06:46 PM   #1
reckless2k2
macrumors 6502a

Facetime over air - AT&T Unlimited plan - Philly

Anyone in the Philly area with an unlimited AT&T data plan able to get Facetime over cellular working?

Mine is still not. I rebooted several times now over the last few weeks.
Old Dec 18, 2012, 06:58 PM   #2
macher
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by reckless2k2 View Post
Anyone in the Philly area with an unlimited AT&T data plan able to get Facetime over cellular working?

Mine is still not. I rebooted several times now over the last few weeks.
With AT&T there is no FaceTime over cellular, they blocked it. Unless something changed.
macher is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2012, 07:04 PM   #3
albertsw
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by macher View Post
With AT&T there is no FaceTime over cellular, they blocked it. Unless something changed.
They did change it.
albertsw is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2012, 08:33 PM   #4
phositadc
macrumors 6502

I can't do FaceTime over cellular on AT&T unlimited, so as far as I can tell they haven't changed anything.
phositadc is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2012, 12:21 AM   #5
CKohkah
macrumors 6502

I have a feeling it's going to take a new software update, perhaps iOS 6.1, to turn facetime over cellular on. Since the previous facetime settings are written into the OS there's no way they can just change it over the air unless they send out a carrier update, which you would also have to Install.
CKohkah is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2012, 12:41 AM   #6
Baggio
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by CKohkah View Post
I have a feeling it's going to take a new software update, perhaps iOS 6.1, to turn facetime over cellular on. Since the previous facetime settings are written into the OS there's no way they can just change it over the air unless they send out a carrier update, which you would also have to Install.
Not sure why you would need an update to activate that feature? If they can enable it for AT&T subscribers with a mobile share data plan, they can do it for those on an unlimited data plan. I think it's on AT&T to provision your account for that access. Maybe it is a slow process converting everyone over?
Baggio is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2012, 12:55 AM   #7
SAD*FACED*CLOWN
macrumors 65816

I have grandfathered unlimited and I can do FaceTime over cellular been able to since it was reported here weeks ago
Old Dec 19, 2012, 02:20 AM   #8
ben824
macrumors regular

Facetime over cellular is ONLY available on the iPhone 4S running iOS 6 and the iPhone 5. With AT&T, the 4S FaceTime over cellular is still currently (unless recently changed) restricted to Mobile Share plans. The iPhone 5 and LTE iPads have been activated to use FaceTime over cellular regardless of plan type. Some iPhone 5 owners have still complained of no FaceTime over cellular with grandfathered unlimited plans. The reports on this are mixed so might have to call AT&T to figure that out if you have a an iPhone 5.

But to make sure we are clear here ONLY the 4S and 5 are cellular FaceTime capable. If you have an iPhone 4, regardless of carrier, it CANNOT FaceTime over cellular. Apple did not add this feature in the iOS 6 version for the iPhone 4.
Old Dec 19, 2012, 02:22 AM   #9
sdsvtdriver
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Incorrect.
sdsvtdriver is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2012, 06:20 AM   #10
reckless2k2
macrumors 6502a

After that big announcement, I heard stories from other areas of the country with AT&T users on unlimited plans getting FaceTime over cellular but I haven't received it yet.

I was trying to confirm in the Philly area.

Oh and I have the iPhone 5.
Old Dec 19, 2012, 01:04 PM   #11
jls1986
macrumors member

Facetime over 4g is working for me and I only have a 2gb plan. I live in WA state
jls1986 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2012, 01:08 PM   #12
grapes911
Demi-God (Moderator emeritus)

I'm in Chester Country PA and still cannot FaceTime over cellular with my unlimited data plan on AT&T with my iPhone 4S.
Old Dec 19, 2012, 01:16 PM   #13
BullittMustang
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by jls1986 View Post
Facetime over 4g is working for me and I only have a 2gb plan. I live in WA state
You're supposed to have it. They changed it to include tiered plans. They just won't allow the unlimited plan to use it.
BullittMustang is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2012, 01:19 PM   #14
ben824
macrumors regular

Quote:
Not true. While you are correct in that it takes the feature being enabled through the OS, Apple allows the carrier to control access to the feature over the air. How do I know? I had an iPhone 4S that was blocked while running iOS 6 betas and the public release, then we upgraded the plan to mobile share since it saved us $50 on our monthly bill, and boom instant access to FaceTime over cellular on my 4S and now my 5.

Also your reasoning doesn't hold when you consider features like HotSpot. This feature's access is controlled by the carrier. It goes so deep that even setting options menus won't even show up on the device if the carrier hasn't authorized access.
Old Dec 19, 2012, 07:44 PM   #15
Steevie
Banned

here on the west coast iphone 5, unlimited AT&T and not working ovr cellular
Steevie is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2012, 08:18 PM   #16
macher
macrumors 6502

I'm in Philly and don't have it.
macher is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2012, 09:42 PM   #17
geneticfusion
macrumors member

Wow, so much misinformation in this thread it's laughable.

At any rate, Facetime over Cellular without Mobile Share is being rolled out on LTE capable devices (iPhone 5) and Tiered, read that again, TIERED data plans. Unlimited data won't be able to whatsoever.
geneticfusion is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2012, 09:47 PM   #18
grapes911
Demi-God (Moderator emeritus)

Quote:
Originally Posted by geneticfusion View Post
Wow, so much misinformation in this thread it's laughable.

At any rate, Facetime over Cellular without Mobile Share is being rolled out on LTE capable devices (iPhone 5) and Tiered, read that again, TIERED data plans. Unlimited data won't be able to whatsoever.
Your information seems to be out of date and no longer correct.

AT&T Seems to Be Extending FaceTime-Over-Cellular to All Customers
Old Dec 19, 2012, 11:15 PM   #19
kre62
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by grapes911 View Post
Your information seems to be out of date and no longer correct.

AT&T Seems to Be Extending FaceTime-Over-Cellular to All Customers
Actually (And yes, I'm the guy in that post who discovered this originally), this seems to have been a temporary AT&T glitch that has now been "fixed" (probably due to widespread coverage). No Unlimited users still have FT over cellular. It lasted 2 days.

Oh well, at least something I posted went viral.
kre62 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2012, 11:21 PM   #20
Applejuiced
macrumors Nehalem

Quote:
Originally Posted by kre62 View Post
Actually (And yes, I'm the guy in that post who discovered this originally), this seems to have been a temporary AT&T glitch that has now been "fixed" (probably due to widespread coverage). No Unlimited users still have FT over cellular. It lasted 2 days.

Oh well, at least something I posted went viral.
That sucks
Applejuiced is online now   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone