Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

PacSunMama

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 9, 2012
Hi there, I wanted to see if any of you have an opinion or advice for me. I recently won a 3rd gen 32gb ipod touch and otterbox defender case for it. It's all still new in the package. I like it, but the thing is that my husband and I already both have (and use) iPhones, and our son plays with our old iPhone 3gs when he feels like it.

I was thinking about listing it on our local Craigslist, but I don't want to sell it- I wanted to see if I could trade anybody for an iPad (which is what I really want!) Do you think this is even feasible? I don't know... wwyd?

Last edited:

PacSunMama

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 9, 2012
Almost 600 views (apparently?) and not a response? Hrmmm.... well I will try to be patient! :p

mofunk

macrumors 68020
Aug 26, 2009
Americas
See what they sell for on Apple's Refurbish section. And Price $20 cheaper.

The reason no one has answered cause it's an easy click and check there. and on everymac.com

AbacabMR

macrumors newbie
Oct 18, 2012
The 2nd gen no longer has any iOS updates and the 3rd gen will follow in the same situation sooner than later.

Unless I'm not familiar with a 'well know fact' that would make the 3rd gen less likely to soon go 'obsolete' as did my current 2nd gen ... I personally would not spend over 100$ for a device that will become obsolete in the near future.

Even then, given that I can now spend 3x as much money on an IPT5 that would give me 3x (and more) 'ROI' ... I'd probably invest that 100$ along with two more on the IPT5.

Having said that, you'll probably find a person with a different view on this who'll be willing to pay between 100$ and 150$ or more if they really don't know much about the market for iPods.

Good luck.

tyche

macrumors 6502
Jul 30, 2010
If I won it and didn't need it, I'd give it away to someone for free. Give someone a little joy.

PacSunMama

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 9, 2012
If I won it and didn't need it, I'd give it away to someone for free. Give someone a little joy.
Thanks! I actually may do this.

I did look around for pricing but was only finding retail pricing for 4th gen and newer, everything else like eBay was alll over the place. It's in new condition- still packaged and sealed.

Thank you!

firedept

macrumors 603
Jul 8, 2011
Somewhere!
Hi there, I wanted to see if any of you have an opinion or advice for me. I recently won a 3rd gen 32gb ipod touch and otterbox defender case for it. It's all still new in the package. I like it, but the thing is that my husband and I already both have (and use) iPhones, and our son plays with our old iPhone 3gs when he feels like it.

I was thinking about listing it on our local Craigslist, but I don't want to sell it- I wanted to see if I could trade anybody for an iPad (which is what I really want!) Do you think this is even feasible? I don't know... wwyd?

Just sold a 4th Gen 64 GB for $250. Apple sells the refurb 64 for $299. I would think $175 would be on the high end. More reasonable would be $100-125.

Dorje Sylas

macrumors 6502a
Jun 8, 2011
Sites like Gazzelle are only offering about 50 for an untouched one, so about 100 or so. The 3rd gen doesn't actually have much to recommend it, not with the 4 in the market. No camera, no mic (without add-on), and now outside its support life. Gazzelle is trying to sell a 64 GB 4th gen for 180 so.... that should give you some idea.

And no, you'll never get anyone to trade an iPad 1 for and iPod Touch 3rd gen.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.