Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > iMac

Old Dec 18, 2012, 08:20 PM   #1
higgibaby
macrumors newbie

iMac 27" Epic fail...

SO I got my new iMac 27" yesterday, I made a thread as for when I turned it on, the screen backlight was dead...So I took it back to Apple today, I got some amazed faces from some of the staff...these things are rare! 1st one they had all seen.

Unfortunately for me, too rare...so rare that I have to start a new order process all over again. I waited till midnight to pre-order the machine, I got a superb customized order ready for delivery mid-december, and I was totally heartbroken when it arrived in perfect condition, just with no screen images visible! The genius guy took one look and determined it had to be returned...

So, for all those out there with 27" iMacs just delivered, if they work...hug them, tell them there special, treat them with care, don't try to force a CD in the side, respect the thinness along with the beer belly on the behind. One day I will hopefully soon...right now, Apple has let me use a 15" Macbook Retina until the replacement arrives...they felt my pain.

Also, for the record if something does happen to your 27", there are none in the country, not even in the secret warehouse
higgibaby is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2012, 08:22 PM   #2
nuckinfutz
macrumors 603

Yup

I've never seen anyone get two bad iMacs in a row and i've only seen iMacs about 5 years old or older with failed backlights.
nuckinfutz is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2012, 09:16 PM   #3
Rudy69
macrumors 6502

Just pluged mine in tonight....it's currently waiting for my Retina Macbook Pro to be ready to migrate (I'll run it over night)
Rudy69 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2012, 09:17 PM   #4
Gelite55
macrumors regular

I went through 7 iPod touches in a row once (4th Generation) because of various stuck pixels. They were also amazed in the store.

Last edited by OllyW; Dec 19, 2012 at 04:33 AM. Reason: quoted deleted post
Gelite55 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2012, 09:27 PM   #5
aziatiklover
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gelite55 View Post
I went through 7 iPod touches in a row once (4th Generation) because of various stuck pixels.
Ok and you would like a sugar cookie bro? I went thru 3 iPhone 5 2 white and 1 black! So who cares! Nothing is perfect in this world even my cousin lambo is having issue even tho it was made in italy and not china.
Old Dec 18, 2012, 09:43 PM   #6
higgibaby
macrumors newbie

Quote:
I went through 7 iPod touches in a row once (4th Generation) because of various stuck pixels. They were also amazed in the store.
Ouch...
higgibaby is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2012, 10:06 PM   #7
Rudy69
macrumors 6502

Quote:
So far I've been lucky with my Apple product (good thing because 1 dead/stuck pixel is too many for me)
Rudy69 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2012, 10:17 PM   #8
iMikeT
macrumors 68020

I feel your pain because I had to send my iMac back to Apple last year due to an uneven backlight issue with my first 2011 iMac. There was a slight delay in sending my replacement because mine was BTO. I think the process took two weeks.
iMikeT is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2012, 03:03 AM   #9
Chihawk725
macrumors member

Quote:
Fool me once shame on you fool me 7 times and uhhhh stop trying 4th gen iPod touches ? Lol
Chihawk725 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2012, 03:09 AM   #10
Fenn
macrumors member

Ah man! That is totally rotten :/ Nothing worse than being excited about something and then having it delivered, only to find out it doesn't work. Had the same problem with a set-top Bluray player last year and OH did it suck. I can't imagine having to wait weeks ><
Fenn is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2012, 03:36 AM   #11
spcdust
macrumors 6502a

Have to love those Apple Geniuses as they are always amazed when you bring back something that has a fault and claim they have never seen this before (although to be fair in this case they may have a point)
Old Dec 19, 2012, 03:41 AM   #12
GoCubsGo
macrumors Nehalem

Sucks that it was defective but they don't usually keep stock of BTO machines on hand. Hope you get a new one soon.
GoCubsGo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2012, 03:46 AM   #13
turtlez
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by spcdust View Post
Have to love those Apple Geniuses as they are always amazed when you bring back something that has a fault and claim they have never seen this before (although to be fair in this case they may have a point)
a friend of mine is an Apple genius worker and he told me that they have to act like this haha :P
turtlez is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2012, 03:50 AM   #14
mihai.ile
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by turtlez View Post
a friend of mine is an Apple genius worker and he told me that they have to act like this haha :P
Somehow I thought this would be the case. But it works, seems that people actually feel better thinking that it's just a very isolated issue and it is going to be fixed right away...
mihai.ile is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2012, 03:58 AM   #15
turtlez
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by mihai.ile View Post
Somehow I thought this would be the case. But it works, seems that people actually feel better thinking that it's just a very isolated issue and it is going to be fixed right away...
yep, wouldn't want customers to know that Apple have near the same issues as PC manufacturers :P
turtlez is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > iMac