Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Dec 19, 2012, 01:59 AM   #26
lilo777
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technarchy View Post
In the Arab world, stealing gets your hands cut off.

In this case Samsung just lost a lot of business.
Samsung has not lost anything. Right at this moment Apple CPUs are manufactured by Samsung in Texas. And the way Samsung is gaining market share in smart phones (which is now 50% higher than that of Apple) they will need this Texas FAB for their own chips. Apple's share in smart phones in 2012 was reported at 20%. They are not really that big of a player.
lilo777 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2012, 02:08 AM   #27
TMay
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilo777 View Post
Samsung has not lost anything. Right at this moment Apple CPUs are manufactured by Samsung in Texas. And the way Samsung is gaining market share in smart phones (which is now 50% higher than that of Apple) they will need this Texas FAB for their own chips. Apple's share in smart phones in 2012 was reported at 20%. They are not really that big of a player.
Sure, that's why Apple is rumored to back this FAB, so that the company will be a bigger player in volume, not just revenue, where curiously, Apple seems to have 80% of the profits in mobile devices.

Kudos to Samsung for $8-12 B in marketing and promotional expense to get that market share.

Now, let's see them defend it.
TMay is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2012, 03:10 AM   #28
The Bulge
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilo777 View Post
Nice rationalisation. Too bad it's not the case.
The Bulge is offline   6 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2012, 03:15 AM   #29
Solomani
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stridder44 View Post
Nothing but good can come from this.
... unless you are an Oregonian mountain man.
Solomani is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2012, 04:06 AM   #30
wizard
macrumors 68040

Replacement of Samsung would be wise.

There is no good reason to do buiness with a company that steals from you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by clibinarius View Post
If this is true, I wouldn't mind seeing some production diverted from Samsung. Though I doubt it'll have the capacity to replace Samsung, nor is that the intention.
I have to believe that would be the intention. It is really a question of ethics. As to one plant doing it all, who knows. The reality is it is bad business to have too much reliance on a single plant. So I'd rather see Apple split production across plants and vendors.

As for Samsung people seem to have this perception that they have some magical capability to produce chips. This really isn't the case and frankly Samsung has suffered from the same issue the rest of the industry has.
wizard is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2012, 04:24 AM   #31
wizard
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by apple-win View Post
Seriously, there is no need to have another fab on the planet earth. Semiconductor manufacturing is not a clean business.
That is just totally ignorant. Business supports the growth in the human population on this planet. As for being clean or not so clean semiconductor manufacturing isn't that bad when it comes right down to it.
Quote:
If there is not enough fab capacity, raise the price for consumers. It is law of supply and demand.
Are we suffering from some sort of complex wrapped around excessive self importance? You seemingly desire to make electronics in affordable to many of your countrymen.
Quote:
Modern electronic industry belongs to entertainment sector. It's all about watching the same Hollywood movies (TV shows) wherever or whenever people want to. It requires a lot of PhD to make this entertainment happens. I wish Apple, IBM, Intel and etc, switch gear to, let's say... medical, energy, transportation sectors. It's better for mankind.
Actually it isn't better. Many of those industries you mentioned would still be in the dark ages if it wasn't for electronics. The medical industry for one wouldn't exist in its current form without electronics. Beyond that there is nothing to say that Apple would ever be successful in energy, transportation or any other industry. Apple is successful because the talent they have is focused on a common goal or interest.

Frankly after reading your series of posts I'm left with the impression you are of weak mind and easily manipulated. Think about that a bit. You pass more pollution every time you sit on the can then most semiconductor plants that are well operated.
wizard is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2012, 04:26 AM   #32
KTF
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axemantitan View Post
Oregon's single-sales factor business tax will weigh in its favor. It is a state law that says that if a product is manufactured in Oregon and sold outside of Oregon, the manufacturer is not liable for state income tax on the sale.
Nice To Know.

Note: Man You Got Me In Your Favorite Webside Good One
Old Dec 19, 2012, 04:33 AM   #33
ikir
macrumors 6502a

It would be a good and natural strategy
Old Dec 19, 2012, 04:50 AM   #34
gnasher729
macrumors G5

Quote:
Originally Posted by clibinarius View Post
If this is true, I wouldn't mind seeing some production diverted from Samsung. Though I doubt it'll have the capacity to replace Samsung, nor is that the intention.
We are talking about TSMC here. They have no problem building capacity to replace Samsung twice. Their problem would be that this is a huge investment, and they would want guarantees from Apple to make sure the investment pays. On the other hand, Apple has the cash to make those guarantees.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by SockRolid View Post
And cutting ties with Samsung isn't just sour grapes. By ordering specific components from Samsung, Apple is tipping off Samsung with future iDevice specs (and possible new products).
That is always claimed, but I wouldn't think so. So Apple builds a new, faster ARM processor - well, who would have thought that? Of course they do. Samsung knows Apple will do that, whether Apple places an order with Samsung or keeps the thing top secret, because it is just common sense they will. Apple is looking for better batteries - well, who would have thought that?

Most things are just ordinary improvements that you would expect Apple to make anyway. Designs are legally protected, some technology is protected by patents, and both don't take long to copy - it's just risky because you can and will get sued for it. If Samsung wanted to make a phone that looks exactly like iPhone 5, buying a dozen on the first day it's released would give them enough time.
gnasher729 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2012, 05:34 AM   #35
kalsta
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by inscrewtable View Post
Apple declares nucular war.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PDnsSoEGBzs

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThunderSkunk View Post
After reading up on quantum computing, it'd be pretty wild to see Apple spend the $ and do something under their own roof that just up and blew everyones doors off .
iPhones with quantum chips?! Now that would be front page news! I think we might have to wait a few more years for that.
kalsta is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2012, 05:40 AM   #36
ThomasJL
macrumors 6502a

If Apple uses chips based on TSMC's 20-nanometer process, it would have two benefits for practically all consumers:
1) Power consumption would be reduced, thus resulting in longer battery life.
2) Clock-for-clock speed increase over the current A6X chips, thus resulting in Safari being snappier.
ThomasJL is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2012, 05:54 AM   #37
Rogifan
macrumors G3

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMay View Post
Kudos to Samsung for $8-12 B in marketing and promotional expense to get that market share.

Bingo. I've never seen so many S3 and Note commercials on TV. Go to the mall ans all the posters and ads on the mall directories are of the Galaxy S3 or Note.
Old Dec 19, 2012, 06:33 AM   #38
Fukui
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patriot24 View Post
They'll be manufacturing "engines" there.
LOL, good one there...
Old Dec 19, 2012, 06:54 AM   #39
Jason Garza
macrumors member

Quote:

My dad always says "The best way to hurt someone is in the pocket book."
Old Dec 19, 2012, 06:55 AM   #40
Intarweb
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Sure, that's why Apple is rumored to back this FAB, so that the company will be a bigger player in volume, not just revenue, where curiously, Apple seems to have 80% of the profits in mobile devices.

First you need to actually get your facts straight before people can attempt to "defend" anything. It's $8-12 MILLION, not BILLION. Nice attempt at being falsely hyperbolic.

Intarweb is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2012, 06:57 AM   #41
flottenheimer
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axemantitan View Post

Favorite website: http://www.mammals.org/
Nice one. I wonder why they own that url. WHY?
Old Dec 19, 2012, 06:57 AM   #42
Thunderhawks
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobra611 View Post
Hey Apple...

there is a TON of unused clean-room space ready and waiting for you at the IBM East Fishkill, NY complex!!! With experienced workers ready for employment!!!
...and the tax concessions were already given, not that IBM did what they promised.
Old Dec 19, 2012, 07:08 AM   #43
Jason Garza
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomasJL View Post
If Apple uses chips based on TSMC's 20-nanometer process, it would have two benefits for practically all consumers:
1) Power consumption would be reduced, thus resulting in longer battery life.
2) Clock-for-clock speed increase over the current A6X chips, thus resulting in Safari being snappier.
Can someone give me a link or background to this safari being snappier joke? I have seen this several times but missed where it came from. Thanks
Old Dec 19, 2012, 07:18 AM   #44
dBeats
macrumors 6502

Quote:
It not curiously, it's on purpose. Let the mega-corps fight over low profit margins on Android.
dBeats is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2012, 07:29 AM   #45
Thunderhawks
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by gnasher729 View Post
We are talking about TSMC here. They have no problem building capacity to replace Samsung twice. Their problem would be that this is a huge investment, and they would want guarantees from Apple to make sure the investment pays. On the other hand, Apple has the cash to make those guarantees.

----------

That is always claimed, but I wouldn't think so. So Apple builds a new, faster ARM processor - well, who would have thought that? Of course they do. Samsung knows Apple will do that, whether Apple places an order with Samsung or keeps the thing top secret, because it is just common sense they will. Apple is looking for better batteries - well, who would have thought that?

Most things are just ordinary improvements that you would expect Apple to make anyway. Designs are legally protected, some technology is protected by patents, and both don't take long to copy - it's just risky because you can and will get sued for it. If Samsung wanted to make a phone that looks exactly like iPhone 5, buying a dozen on the first day it's released would give them enough time.
The idea that being sued prevents somebody from copying/doing something is a pipe dream.

It takes years for a suit to be finished and usually people settle as the costs become outrageous and the copier wins. Samsung is actually the perfect example of copying and then paying for the lawsuits as cost of doing business.

Must be enough profit in copying to pay for this.
Old Dec 19, 2012, 07:31 AM   #46
ConCat
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalsta View Post
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PDnsSoEGBzs

iPhones with quantum chips?! Now that would be front page news! I think we might have to wait a few more years for that.
Last I heard, quantum chips still needed huge refrigeration units to operate. Someday though.
ConCat is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2012, 07:34 AM   #47
Michael Scrip
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intarweb View Post

First you need to actually get your facts straight before people can attempt to "defend" anything. It's $8-12 MILLION, not BILLION. Nice attempt at being falsely hyperbolic.

The chart goes up to 12,000 million.

That's 12 billion.

Yes... Samsung spends nearly 12 billion on marketing.

Quote:
FORTUNE -- One of the reasons Samsung's Galaxy smartphones and tablets seem to be everywhere these days may be that the company is spending a fortune -- nearly $12 billion a year, according to Asymco's Horace Dediu -- on advertising, commissions and sales promotions.
Michael Scrip is offline   7 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2012, 07:34 AM   #48
blackcrayon
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Garza View Post
Can someone give me a link or background to this safari being snappier joke? I have seen this several times but missed where it came from. Thanks
I don't know when it started being associated with Safari, but back in the very early days of Mac OS X, every time a point release would come out (eg 10.0.3) people would install it and say it feels "snappier" -even though there really weren't any performance improvements being implemented by Apple at that point. In a lot of cases the Macs got slightly faster at launching apps because of the optimization routines that are run when software is installed, or they just got a temporary speed boost from actually being rebooted due to the install (since for the first time the majority of Mac users could go "forever" without rebooting compared to classic Mac OS).
blackcrayon is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2012, 07:37 AM   #49
samcraig
macrumors G5

Quote:

And oral gratification from a partner is illegal in several US states. What's your point?
samcraig is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2012, 07:38 AM   #50
dugbug
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intarweb View Post

That chart shows 12,000 million?
dugbug is offline   1 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion