Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Dec 19, 2012, 07:39 AM   #51
samcraig
macrumors G5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intarweb View Post
First you need to actually get your facts straight before people can attempt to "defend" anything. It's $8-12 MILLION, not BILLION. Nice attempt at being falsely hyperbolic.

I'm also pretty sure that Samsung makes a LOT more electronic products they market/advertise than Apple.

Is that chart just computers/mobile electronics?My guess is no.
samcraig is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2012, 07:44 AM   #52
Jibbajabba
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
First you need to actually get your facts straight before people can attempt to "defend" anything. It's $8-12 MILLION, not BILLION. Nice attempt at being falsely hyperbolic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Scrip View Post
The chart goes up to 12,000 million.

That's 12 billion.

Yes... Samsung spends nearly 12 billion on marketing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dugbug View Post
That chart shows 12,000 million?
Indeed - 12,000 Million = 12 Billion, otherwise Apple would spend just under 1 Million if you read the graph Intarweb's way
Jibbajabba is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2012, 07:44 AM   #53
ConCat
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by samcraig View Post
And oral gratification from a partner is illegal in several US states. What's your point?
Sounds to me like he's saying that things are fairly good in our part of the world, all things considered. I tend to agree.
ConCat is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2012, 08:00 AM   #54
Intarweb
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Scrip View Post
The chart goes up to 12,000 million.

That's 12 billion.

Yes... Samsung spends nearly 12 billion on marketing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dugbug View Post
That chart shows 12,000 million?
Quote:
I'm also pretty sure that Samsung makes a LOT more electronic products they market/advertise than Apple.

Is that chart just computers/mobile electronics?My guess is no.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jibbajabba View Post
Indeed - 12,000 Million = 12 Billion, otherwise Apple would spend just under 1 Million if you read the graph Intarweb's way
I'm an idiot.

I now know why something didn't sit right with me as I was submitting the post.
Intarweb is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2012, 08:00 AM   #55
samcraig
macrumors G5

Quote:
Originally Posted by ConCat View Post
Sounds to me like he's saying that things are fairly good in our part of the world, all things considered. I tend to agree.
Oh. I thought he was suggesting that a company was getting off easy. I also think you can't compare a company with an individual. Especially when talking about hands getting cut off. The equivalent MIGHT be that the company's products are banned and that was certainly on the table, wasn't it?
samcraig is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2012, 08:02 AM   #56
urbanslaughter
macrumors regular

As a former resident of Oregon and current New York Resident, New York is the obvious choice. This state is doing a ton to develop its high tech industry. There's literally no better place in the world for nanotechnology and they're growing other techs as well. New York is poised to become the next Silicon Valley.
urbanslaughter is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2012, 08:09 AM   #57
Justinf79
macrumors 6502

This would be double nice for Oregon, as Intel is looking to expand their Hillsboro plant significantly as well.
Old Dec 19, 2012, 08:18 AM   #58
ConCat
Banned

Quote:
Oh. I thought he was suggesting that a company was getting off easy. I also think you can't compare a company with an individual. Especially when talking about hands getting cut off. The equivalent MIGHT be that the company's products are banned and that was certainly on the table, wasn't it?
Well, that kind of thing you can recover from. You can't recover from getting your hand removed, at least not completely. But this is all very off-topic.
ConCat is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2012, 08:25 AM   #59
H2SO4
macrumors 6502a

Quote:

It does sound ridiculous sure but is not 8,000 million, 8 billion?

Dead horse........beaten. I didn't reload the page before posting.

Last edited by H2SO4; Dec 19, 2012 at 08:30 AM.
H2SO4 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2012, 08:30 AM   #60
minimo3
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by G51989 View Post
To be honest, I don't think IBM is really interested in any kind of Apple Products, IBM focuses on Super Computer/High end server kinda processors.
The IBM East Fishkill fab used to produce PowerPC processors for the Mac Gx line up until Apple moved to Intel.
minimo3 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2012, 08:39 AM   #61
Henriok
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by minimo3 View Post
The IBM East Fishkill fab used to produce PowerPC processors for the Mac Gx line up until Apple moved to Intel.
And it's used to produce the CPUs to Nintendo's Wii and Wii U, at volume that far surpasses all other PowerPC processors made for Apple. Ever.
However.. less than the SoCs Apple is using in the iDevices.
Henriok is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2012, 08:58 AM   #62
Cinnabar
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by apple-win View Post
Do you really want to have a semiconductor fab in your home town? Please read this.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/1...n_2298294.html

Go find out the chemical used in semiconductor manufacturing. I bet you won't put those chemical in your garage.
I hope, in this case, that you therefore think twice about what you buy based on the conditions people have to suffer through in the backyards where they are made....?
Cinnabar is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2012, 09:11 AM   #63
alent1234
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verbatim Cookie View Post
As a New Yorker, I second this! The New York Times recently published articles about how companies that get concessions from state and local governments rarely deliver on their promises.

not only that but making CPU's creates pollution. let someone else have these problems
alent1234 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2012, 09:15 AM   #64
apple-win
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinnabar View Post
I hope, in this case, that you therefore think twice about what you buy based on the conditions people have to suffer through in the backyards where they are made....?
I was a blue-collar worker in electronic industry. I know the work place conditions. It's even more nasty in old days.
apple-win is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2012, 09:21 AM   #65
TMay
macrumors 65816

Quote:
I'm an idiot.

Easy error. Especially as it intuitively seems unbelievably high.
TMay is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2012, 09:46 AM   #66
SqB
macrumors 6502

Quote:
I'm an idiot.

Respect for ownership of the error. You have restored my faith in the people of the Interwebs.

----------

I'm personally glad to see as much of this move back to the US as possible. I believe that there is a pollution component to this fab, but it is better controlled here by people that have the ability to demand a safe working environment and careful maintenance of any waste in a way that can't exist in the other areas where these products are being manufactured.

Basically, people of NY or OR won't put up with unsafe practices where people in other countries may not have a choice.
Old Dec 19, 2012, 09:54 AM   #67
amar majhi
macrumors newbie

you are finished samsung, create your own and compete apple..... 알겟어?
amar majhi is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2012, 10:16 AM   #68
Cobra611
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by G51989 View Post
To be honest, I don't think IBM is really interested in any kind of Apple Products, IBM focuses on Super Computer/High end server kinda processors.
IBM doesn't need to be interested in Apple. But, it has huge fabs already built and they are looking to lease the space that has been unoccupied for years.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by minimo3 View Post
Doesn't IBM have a hand in the PS3 as well?
Cobra611 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2012, 10:17 AM   #69
joedemax
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacRumors View Post
and officials in New York may both be competing to attract a massive chip manufacturing company
As long as it's in the 212, specifically on the uptown A.
Old Dec 19, 2012, 10:25 AM   #70
JHankwitz
macrumors 65816

Send a message via AIM to JHankwitz
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobra611 View Post
Hey Apple...

there is a TON of unused clean-room space ready and waiting for you at the IBM East Fishkill, NY complex!!! With experienced workers ready for employment!!!
When was it built? Demanding requirements for the latest technology would likely need to have a total rebuild anyway. It would be great to get experienced workers. NY is a right to work state, isn't it? If not, the price of the chips would likely become too high to compete.
JHankwitz is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2012, 10:38 AM   #71
thebeans
macrumors regular

Already Made Here

Quote:
Originally Posted by SqB View Post
Respect for ownership of the error. You have restored my faith in the people of the Interwebs.

----------

I'm personally glad to see as much of this move back to the US as possible. I believe that there is a pollution component to this fab, but it is better controlled here by people that have the ability to demand a safe working environment and careful maintenance of any waste in a way that can't exist in the other areas where these products are being manufactured.

Basically, people of NY or OR won't put up with unsafe practices where people in other countries may not have a choice.
True it is good for the US to have more manufacturing here. But these chips are already made here. They will just be made in NY or OR if this all comes to pass instead of being made in TX where they are made now. However, Samsung will likely keep the TX fab operational and just use it to make other chips so the net result should be good.
thebeans is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2012, 10:46 AM   #72
apple-win
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by wizard View Post
That is just totally ignorant.

Many of those industries you mentioned would still be in the dark ages if it wasn't for electronics. The medical industry for one wouldn't exist in its current form without electronics.

Frankly after reading your series of posts I'm left with the impression you are of weak mind and easily manipulated. Think about that a bit. You pass more pollution every time you sit on the can then most semiconductor plants that are well operated.
Please name a Nobel Prize in Medicine winner who is major in electrical engineering.

I know, nuclear industry advocates say the same thing.
apple-win is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2012, 10:46 AM   #73
mrxak
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanslaughter View Post
As a former resident of Oregon and current New York Resident, New York is the obvious choice. This state is doing a ton to develop its high tech industry. There's literally no better place in the world for nanotechnology and they're growing other techs as well. New York is poised to become the next Silicon Valley.
It's what the NY state government wants, I agree. There is expertise here. Thanks to IBM, of course, there's a skilled labor pool in the area, and there's also the educational programs. For example, RIT in Rochester has its own fab. You've got other big tech schools in the area like RPI, WPI, and of course MIT, so the northeast is a great place for technology education. NYSTAR has been active in turning NY into a major player in technology, particularly hardware I think, taking advantage of all those local tech students.

I really don't know what Oregon has going for it, other than proximity to the Pacific. I hope NY gets the factory.
Old Dec 19, 2012, 10:56 AM   #74
Jazwire
macrumors 6502a

Go to Oregon, anyone who opens/expands a business in NY or CA when other states are options are stupid.
Old Dec 19, 2012, 10:59 AM   #75
firewood
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by apple-win View Post
Seriously, there is no need to have another fab on the planet earth. Semiconductor manufacturing is not a clean business.
Then we need many more fab lines. Human life expectancy in countries that do a lot of leading-edge semiconductor manufacturing is longer than the planetary average. If fabs are poison, then more fabs in those countries will help even things out.

firewood is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion