Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SomeDudeAsking

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 23, 2010
Apple removes popular AppShopper app from sale as it falls afoul of App Store’s new app promotion clause

Today brings a high profile removal from the App Store, as the popular AppShopper app is now missing from the store. The removal, publisher Arnold Kim confirmed to us, has to do with a new rule that Apple added back in September which governs the promotion of apps not your own inside your apps.

Specifically, the rule reads this way:

2.25 Apps that display Apps other than your own for purchase or promotion in a manner similar to or confusing with the App Store will be rejected

A low volume of behind-the-scenes developer noise about the issue has been going on since the original discovery. We’ve heard that several were in talks with Apple about why their apps should be approved anyway and that there had been rejections delivered based on the rule.

http://thenextweb.com/apple/2012/12/18/apple-removes-popular-appshopper-app-from-sale-as-it-falls-afoul-of-app-stores-new-app-promotion-clause/?fromcat=all

Way to be an ******, Apple. AppShopper was good and faster than any version of your crApple App Store.

barbosas

macrumors newbie
Nov 26, 2012
Perhaps AppShopper should create a game, I don't know, a sudoku or something and add some bonuses on that sudoku app, which are.. the functionalities we know now.

kylera

macrumors 65816
Dec 5, 2010
Seoul
I guess I'll have to make doubly sure I still have the IPA in my backup for this.

There have been numerous times I've been able to get good deals for apps thanks to AppShopper and its notifications.

Or on the other hand, maybe we'll see a phone/tablet-optimized version of it?

barbosas

macrumors newbie
Nov 26, 2012
People can still use their website to create a wishlist and configure email alerts for apps on the wishlist right?

The app was useful for finding deals on apps I didn't ever heard about though...

Stella

macrumors G3
Apr 21, 2003
Canada
The replacement would be a mobile web app.

Seems like apple want people visiting their AppStore for finding software - apple could takes cues from appshopper and others - for example wish list and price drop notifications.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.