Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Dec 19, 2012, 01:03 PM   #126
dBeats
macrumors 6502

I am 100% sure that everyone here has no idea what Apple will do with a TV. But I'm also 100% sure that 6 months after it's released, 25% of you will want one, 25% of you will hate those who want one and claim they are sheep, 15% will have one already, and 35% will say "I'm waiting for the Apple TV2, THEN I'm getting one..."

You know I'm right...and that's because Apple has done NOTHING to make me think that they haven't thought of something that will make this TV like no other one on the market.

Then 6 months later Samsung will come out with the "S-TV/S-Voice-Enabled Galaxy/IV/ZZXXR-Note-56/Sharpness+" and claim they didn't copy Apple's TV or Sharp's technology.

Finally 4 years later Samsung pays out $40B in a judgement for copying the Apple TV, while 25% of you will claim they cannot patent rounded corners on TVs. And the other 75% will own an Apple TV by that point...
dBeats is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2012, 01:06 PM   #127
lazyrighteye
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by rei101 View Post
Why would I replace my TV?
Right? I love my 50" Panasonic plasma. That said...
If anyone could convince me I don't actually love my 50" Panasonic plasma, it's Apple. Bastards!
lazyrighteye is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2012, 01:08 PM   #128
diamond.g
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by saturn88 View Post
Unless they use Sharp Elite technology
The Elites use local dimming. They are also crazy expensive for the two sizes they come in.
diamond.g is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2012, 01:09 PM   #129
bbeagle
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleScruff1 View Post
Are current tv's that difficult to use?
The CONTENT on current TVs _IS_ hard. We've all gotten used to it, but it can be a lot simpler.

Think about what you do now: You turn on the TV, look at whatever guide listing you have to see 'what's on right now', and tune to that channel. If nothing is on, wait around wasting time surfing until your program comes on.

Nothing has changed in 50 years except the guide is now on-screen instead of in the newspaper.

What I want to do: I see the TV blinking 'new shows available'. Turn on the TV. Choose a TV show I want to watch. If there are new episodes, watch them right now. Similar to a 'subscription' of shows, and a notification of new shows available. And categories of SHOWS, not NETWORKS.

This is similar to what Spotify, Pandora, Rhapsody, etc. have done for music. I don't have to listen to a radio all day long for my favorite songs. I can choose what I want to hear, and skip over songs.

TV will change. Whether Apple changes it, we will see.
bbeagle is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2012, 01:14 PM   #130
topmounter
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Because Steve Job's ghola, Tim Cook, commands it.
Old Dec 19, 2012, 01:17 PM   #131
AppleScruff1
macrumors 604

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbeagle View Post
The CONTENT on current TVs _IS_ hard. We've all gotten used to it, but it can be a lot simpler.

Think about what you do now: You turn on the TV, look at whatever guide listing you have to see 'what's on right now', and tune to that channel. If nothing is on, wait around wasting time surfing until your program comes on.

Nothing has changed in 50 years except the guide is now on-screen instead of in the newspaper.

What I want to do: I see the TV blinking 'new shows available'. Turn on the TV. Choose a TV show I want to watch. If there are new episodes, watch them right now. Similar to a 'subscription' of shows, and a notification of new shows available. And categories of SHOWS, not NETWORKS.

This is similar to what Spotify, Pandora, Rhapsody, etc. have done for music. I don't have to listen to a radio all day long for my favorite songs. I can choose what I want to hear, and skip over songs.

TV will change. Whether Apple changes it, we will see.
But this content has to be delivered by some service provider, and for many that is Verizon, Comcast or some local cable company. What will be their incentive to deliver the content they currently sell free so that you can pay Apple for the content instead of them?
AppleScruff1 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2012, 01:18 PM   #132
Rogifan
macrumors G3

Quote:
I don't get how all the Apple haters think that all Apple will do is make a thin TV set, put an Apple logo on it and sell it for double the price of a competing set.

Apple has NEVER done that with any of it's hardware.

Apple is about the SOFTWARE as well as the hardware. iPads are selling like crazy because of the software's ease of use. Same with iPods, MacBooks and MacBook Airs.

Apple TV will come with a value-add that makes it well worth the price, or it won't sell. Simple as that.

Apple sold 'MP3 players' for twice the price of rivals, and beat them all. Apple sells laptops for twice the price of rivals, and is the leader in laptops. Apple sells tablets for twice the price of rivals, and is the leader in tablets.

It's because of the SOFTWARE, but nay-sayers won't wake up.
If Apple products came in cheap plastic enclosures (and before anyone chimes in, yes I know not all plastic is crap) would they sell as well? I doubt it. Buying do agree, if Apple does a TV there will be more too it than how it looks. The UI and content will be the hook. If Apple can't get the content side worked out they won't do it.
Old Dec 19, 2012, 01:21 PM   #133
Boatboy24
macrumors 6502

Content and choice will drive me to consider this. Without those, I'm happy with my "hockey puck".

Just one man's opinion...
Boatboy24 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2012, 01:21 PM   #134
AppleScruff1
macrumors 604

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post
If Apple products came in cheap plastic enclosures (and before anyone chimes in, yes I know not all plastic is crap) would they sell as well? I doubt it. Buying do agree, if Apple does a TV there will be more too it than how it looks. The UI and content will be the hook. If Apple can't get the content side worked out they won't do it.
Perhaps the UI will be like iOS?
AppleScruff1 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2012, 01:22 PM   #135
saturn88
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by HenryDJP View Post
Ha, probably a lot higher. Bose has a 46" LCD and just because it has Bose's special sound enclosure in it they are asking $5000 for it. Unless a consumer is just a Bose fanatic that's too much money to ask. Apple's TV MAY start at $2000 but I wouldn't count on it being that low.
Bang & Olussfen TV is $20,000
Sharp Elite 70" $8,000
Sharp Elite 60" $5,500
saturn88 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2012, 01:22 PM   #136
GoCubsGo
macrumors Nehalem

Quote:
And why would you replace your TV so you can over-spend on a TV that is probably no better than one of the better TVs on the market?
GoCubsGo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2012, 01:31 PM   #137
maroontiger2k9
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by newyorksole View Post
I'm no insider/analyst, but they will NOT be at CES. Not Apple's style. Too early.

Everyone is so quick to say you won't buy an Apple TV, but wait until they reveal it. Guarantee everyone's story will change. TV Set w/ set top box built it or solely a standalone set top box.
Im sorry but i can honestly say that im not buying the 1st gen... i might wait until 2nd-3rd gen

the apple tv 2nd box is more than enough functionality to hold me over and prevent my jaw from shattering the floor from the apple television unveiling

I personally think that the 1st gen will be similar to the ipod mini in the fact that it is cool enough and provides more than enough functionality worthy of a purchase, but apple will hold back on a few ground breaking features to be added in the 2nd-3rd gen
maroontiger2k9 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2012, 01:32 PM   #138
jlasoon
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScholarsInk View Post
Imagine a 4k TV for the price of a high-end "Full" HDTV...
Sure to look good with iTunes content streaming
jlasoon is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2012, 01:35 PM   #139
jwdsail
macrumors regular

Thoughts...

Apple will not sell an AppleTV TV/display until they can make a huge leap in image quality with 4K at a reasonable (Apple reasonable) price.

This will require advances in technology (More Google Fiber and similar, h.265 looks promising.. etc) and partnerships, perhaps gaining exclusive rights to 4K content. (Disney - Lucas, Marvel, ESPN, etc) Perhaps a partnership w/ Red? I think Apple would distribute 2K and 4K content online in a h.265 based format along with higher quality (less compressed) 4K content via a Red partnership.. at least until bandwidth and bandwidth caps improve. 4K will take time, I expect distribution to follow the progression of Netflix.. Start with a mix of hard media and online until bandwidth catches up..

If Apple could secure exclusive rights to 4K content, (Disney - Lucas, Marvel, ESPN, etc) this would out-manuver the cable companies, allowing Apple the level of control of the user experience they always aim for.

The current AppleTV will continue to be improved, and will remain the primary 1080p TV device from Apple. I'd say that we will see the AppleTV mature in the next year to be what many of us want. It will gain 3rd party apps, it will gain Siri and Leap Motion (like) controls. I don't think we'll see an AppleTV TV/display until these much needed improvements come to the current AppleTV. The Display will come after these improvements have been beta tested by users of the 1080p AppleTV box.

I'm quite happy with my current Sony HDTV, Mac mini, and Tivo. If the current AppleTV box gains 3rd party apps and better controls, I can see adding one to the current mix. I wish the TV were larger, 55-65 is what I want now. I do not plan to replace this TV until it dies, and I hope 4K displays and content will be available by then.
jwdsail is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2012, 01:40 PM   #140
Antares
macrumors 68000

Location: Somewhere in the Milky Way....a little place called Chicago
What would they call it? iView? iTeeVee? iWatch? iScreen?

I will be in the market for a new TV later this year. But that may be too early. Either way, I would happily consider an Apple branded TV as long as it had the same visual quality as a top-end Samsung along with Apple's design aesthetic. This is even before any off the added features that Apple would bring...

I salivate at the prospect of a 4K TV in a reasonable price range.
Old Dec 19, 2012, 01:45 PM   #141
zone23
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by waloshin View Post
Here is how you all will justify that you "need" a Apple TV.
It likely will be a unibody design machined from aluminium with a apple glowing on the front.
You would use your iPhone , iPod touch or iPad as a remote. And there will be a Apple TV built in.
Oh man its going to have a glowing apple on the front? I'm sold..
Old Dec 19, 2012, 01:45 PM   #142
scupking
macrumors 6502

55" is to small these days. Thats what I have now and want 65 when it comes time to replace the one I have.
Old Dec 19, 2012, 01:48 PM   #143
iChrist
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by unplugme71 View Post
Maybe Cook will bring Apple back to trade shows

That would be excellent.

Old Dec 19, 2012, 01:52 PM   #144
bbeagle
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleScruff1 View Post
But this content has to be delivered by some service provider, and for many that is Verizon, Comcast or some local cable company. What will be their incentive to deliver the content they currently sell free so that you can pay Apple for the content instead of them?
Yes, I agree that this is a major problem.

However, Verizon, Comcast, etc. do not own any of the content, the Networks do. Do the Networks care whether Verizon, Comcast or Apple delivers this content? No. Depends who gives them the most money for their content.

One solution to the internet service providers is the government. The government can regulate internet costs.

Another solution is to have the content providers (network) pay for the internet costs by you paying for network content.

Things must change in a major way. Apple TV right now is just a hobby, because these problems don't have solutions as of yet.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwdsail View Post
If Apple could secure exclusive rights to 4K content, (Disney - Lucas, Marvel, ESPN, etc) this would out-manuver the cable companies, allowing Apple the level of control of the user experience.
Entirely correct. If buying an Apple TV was the only way to get ESPN content, for example, this would change the game.

The only reason I subscribed to DirecTV at one time was because of NFL Sunday Ticket. All the other programming was the same.

Plus, Apple could even do something like, 'FREE TV' with a 2 year service contract. Something to change the game completely.
bbeagle is online now   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2012, 01:52 PM   #145
Powerbooky
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by mklaman View Post
i would bet a 55" apple tv would run about $4900.

and i'll still buy it. (damn you apple!)
At that price it better be a plasma screen then. There's not one LCD panel in the market that delivers really good video quality. Even the experimental LED-pixel screens have the same problems in the dark-grey to black area. At least that's my opinion as an engineer in TV production/broadcasting.
Old Dec 19, 2012, 01:53 PM   #146
uknowimright
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Yes, I agree that this is a major problem.

However, Verizon, Comcast, etc. do not own any of the content, the Networks do. Do the Networks care whether Verizon, Comcast or Apple delivers this content? No. Depends who gives them the most money for their content.

One solution to the internet service providers is the government. The government can regulate internet costs.

Another solution is to have the content providers (network) pay for the internet costs by you paying for network content.

Things must change in a major way. Apple TV right now is just a hobby, because these problems don't have solutions as of yet.
uknowimright is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2012, 01:56 PM   #147
Shrink
macrumors Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by wkadamsjr View Post
Why would you replace your phone with an iPhone in 2007? If Apple can't make something better, theoretically they wouldn't get involved.
Operative word...
Old Dec 19, 2012, 02:02 PM   #148
aprofetto8
macrumors regular

I imagine there's a ton of prototypes in Apple's labs. Even in the Biography of Steve Jobs they talk about all the prototypes they go through before a product goes into production.

For sure they're experimenting with a TV prototype, probably have been for years. I just don't see what the purpose of it would be.

Where Apple needs to come in is UI and content. They need to do to TV and Movies what they did with Music. If they're somehow able to get content on demand and wrap it all in a nice set top box, then I think they'll have the golden ticket.
aprofetto8 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2012, 02:13 PM   #149
Lancer
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Clearly you have not been brain washed but the Apple marketing yet :P

I hope they also update their set top box as I don't need and can't afford a new TV right now, after getting my 27" iMac with the works.
Lancer is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2012, 02:14 PM   #150
Bubba Satori
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by dBeats View Post
I am 100% sure that everyone here has no idea what Apple will do with a TV. But I'm also 100% sure that 6 months after it's released, 25% of you will want one, 25% of you will hate those who want one and claim they are sheep, 15% will have one already, and 35% will say "I'm waiting for the Apple TV2, THEN I'm getting one..."

You know I'm right...and that's because Apple has done NOTHING to make me think that they haven't thought of something that will make this TV like no other one on the market.

Then 6 months later Samsung will come out with the "S-TV/S-Voice-Enabled Galaxy/IV/ZZXXR-Note-56/Sharpness+" and claim they didn't copy Apple's TV or Sharp's technology.

Finally 4 years later Samsung pays out $40B in a judgement for copying the Apple TV, while 25% of you will claim they cannot patent rounded corners on TVs. And the other 75% will own an Apple TV by that point...
Hi Tim.
Bubba Satori is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion