Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Old Dec 27, 2012, 02:34 AM   #1
AppleBoyFreak
macrumors 6502

iPhone 5 Rant

I love Apple, but honestly I can say that their quality control this round was not to par. I have bought many iPhones on launch day and not a single one had problems as bad as the one I got almost a full month after launch. My iPhone 5 was chipped out of box, the lock button doesn't work unless I tap the very left tip of the button, the battery life is horrible (I'll be down to 33% within 2 hours when I BARELY use my iPhone), and the biggest flaw i recently found is that there is a ton of dust INSIDE the camera. I would be more understanding if it was one of the first one's made, but it isn't. Honestly, it has frustrated me so much that I am almost willing to go back to my iPhone 4S. This kind of quality control is not accepted for a phone manufacture let alone Apple. I have included a picture of a plain white wall I just took. I counted about 8 circles from either dust or a defective camera.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0112.JPG
Views:	549
Size:	2.05 MB
ID:	386040  
Old Dec 27, 2012, 02:40 AM   #2
KeepCalmPeople
macrumors 6502a

Thumbs down

That is pretty bad, I agree. Apple had better be working hard to make sure that the inconsistent quality of the iPhone 5 is an aberration and not the beginning of a slippery slope.
KeepCalmPeople is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2012, 02:41 AM   #3
darster
macrumors 68000

You have 30 days to return for a refund or replacment. So why tell us?
darster is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2012, 02:48 AM   #4
AppleBoyFreak
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by darster View Post
You have 30 days to return for a refund or replacment. So why tell us?
You actually only have 14 days which ran out on October 19, 2012. And I told you why i posted this in the title. I wanted to rant.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeepCalmPeople View Post
That is pretty bad, I agree. Apple had better be working hard to make sure that the inconsistent quality of the iPhone 5 is an aberration and not the beginning of a slippery slope.
This exactly what I am afraid of. I could understand if it was one of the above defects, but all of them in one phone?! I don't even know if thats dust in the camera because those are perfect circles and now irregular shapes like you would expect from dust. I called Apple earlier and they kept insisting that the lock button doesnt work because i dropped it even though I baby my Apple products and my other friend has the same problem.
Old Dec 27, 2012, 02:58 AM   #5
darster
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleBoyFreak View Post
You actually only have 14 days which ran out on October 19, 2012. And I told you why i posted this in the title. I wanted to rant.

----------

This exactly what I am afraid of. I could understand if it was one of the above defects, but all of them in one phone?! I don't even know if thats dust in the camera because those are perfect circles and now irregular shapes like you would expect from dust. I called Apple earlier and they kept insisting that the lock button doesnt work because i dropped it even though I baby my Apple products and my other friend has the same problem.
The iphone 5 was given a 30 day return policy, not 14. You still have a year to return for exchange. It is only your fault if you choose to keep the phone you have.
darster is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2012, 03:17 AM   #6
AppleBoyFreak
macrumors 6502

Angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by darster View Post
The iphone 5 was given a 30 day return policy, not 14. You still have a year to return for exchange. It is only your fault if you choose to keep the phone you have.
YOU GOT TO BE KIDDING ME. I called during the same month I bought it, October, because I was experiencing problems and wanted to return mine for a white one and the lady said that I couldn't return it or anything because it was outside of the 14 day return period. I'm even more pissed now.
Old Dec 27, 2012, 03:40 AM   #7
yinz
macrumors 6502a

That's terrible news. I hope the quality has improved now that the phone has been out for some time and that the factories are no longer rushed to build them....
yinz is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2012, 03:58 AM   #8
AndrewR23
macrumors 68020

my phone is fine except for chips in black bezel right out of box. 3 months later and holy hell the phone has chips everywhere lol.

Gonna replace it once JB comes out.
AndrewR23 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2012, 04:03 AM   #9
Vell843
macrumors member

Apple boy, if you noticed the phone was chipped right out the box. Why did you even buy it or return it the same day?
Vell843 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2012, 07:27 AM   #10
Sedrick
macrumors 68030

It'll be slightly ironic if Apple fixes all these issues with the 5S and gives us the phone that the 5 should have been.
Old Dec 27, 2012, 07:35 AM   #11
Browns2212
macrumors regular

OP....did you not notice these "issues" immediately when you got your phone?

Why did you not take it back right away? I would think that you would have noticed the dust in the lens with the first picture you took and also the scratches right out of the box?

Just curious why you waited so long.
Browns2212 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2012, 07:39 AM   #12
bova80
macrumors 6502

I just had mine exchanged at apple for that reason except mine wasn't like that out of the box. Showed up after about 2 months.
bova80 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2012, 07:49 AM   #13
Defender2010
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sedrick View Post
It'll be slightly ironic if Apple fixes all these issues with the 5S and gives us the phone that the 5 should have been.
yes, but it's almost guaranteed! The 3GS and 4S have been the best phones yet, regarding build quality too....each new model is like an experiment except the "s" version, which usually improves the device in every way.
Old Dec 27, 2012, 07:51 AM   #14
ThatsMeRight
macrumors 68020

Warranty. Get a replacement.
ThatsMeRight is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2012, 08:36 AM   #15
barkomatic
macrumors 68030

Unnecessary drama. He's holding on to this phone so he can complain about it when he could easily swap it out.
barkomatic is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2012, 08:43 AM   #16
SchuettS
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatsMeRight View Post
Warranty. Get a replacement.
Quote:
Originally Posted by barkomatic View Post
Unnecessary drama. He's holding on to this phone so he can complain about it when he could easily swap it out.
OP said apple is saying he was at fault for lock button. Sometimes it's not that easy.
SchuettS is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2012, 08:45 AM   #17
BoricuaHec01
macrumors regular

My phone is still flawless since launch, just thought I should say this lol.
Old Dec 27, 2012, 08:55 AM   #18
ThatsMeRight
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by SchuettS View Post
OP said apple is saying he was at fault for lock button. Sometimes it's not that easy.
Go back to the same store, different employee.
Go to another Apple Store.

Just call Apple.

Oh, and if the lock button is really a problem for them, don't mention there's a problem with it. Just complain about the camera.
ThatsMeRight is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2012, 09:00 AM   #19
roadbloc
macrumors 604

Return it and get a refund or replacement. Its isn't hard. To think that defective models don't make their way in to the retail stores is utter folly. No need for this useless rambling on a forum.
Old Dec 27, 2012, 09:35 AM   #20
UBS28
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by yinz View Post
That's terrible news. I hope the quality has improved now that the phone has been out for some time and that the factories are no longer rushed to build them....
Quality Control has not improvement. I waited a few months hoping that Apple would get their act together. How wrong I was for making that assumption.
UBS28 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2012, 09:45 AM   #21
Yptcn
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoricuaHec01 View Post
My phone is still flawless since launch, just thought I should say this lol.
Mine too , no problem at all .
Yptcn is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2012, 09:45 AM   #22
Jordan921
macrumors 68030

So your phone had a chip in it right out of the box and you didn't return it then? It's no ones fault but yours. Don't come here looking for sympathy and don't act like you're the only one.
Jordan921 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2012, 10:04 AM   #23
GHouse
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleBoyFreak View Post
YOU GOT TO BE KIDDING ME. I called during the same month I bought it, October, because I was experiencing problems and wanted to return mine for a white one and the lady said that I couldn't return it or anything because it was outside of the 14 day return period. I'm even more pissed now.
Appropriate user name on several levels

Just take it to the genius bar and get it swapped out under warranty, problem solved, stop sniveling.
GHouse is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2012, 11:26 AM   #24
Sedrick
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by Defender2010 View Post
yes, but it's almost guaranteed! The 3GS and 4S have been the best phones yet, regarding build quality too....each new model is like an experiment except the "s" version, which usually improves the device in every way.
Agreed, which is why I'm sticking with the 'S' models.
Old Dec 27, 2012, 11:30 AM   #25
aliensporebomb
macrumors 65816

Send a message via AIM to aliensporebomb Send a message via Yahoo to aliensporebomb Send a message via Skype™ to aliensporebomb
Exclamation Yeah

I got my mine replaced for such a flaw, the replacement is fine.

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone