Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Pndrgnsvc

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 13, 2008
Georgetown, Texas
Re my LifeProof case, version 4, serial number 257xxx, iPhone 5

I opened the case to remove a speck of lint and when I reclosed the case, I noticed that the small rubber cushion near the top (not the two cushions in the rear-middle) had migrated in to the viewing area.

I can put this errant cushion back in place if only I knew where it belonged.

Will some kind sole either post a picture or describe where the cushion rightfully belongs?

Many, many thanks!

Hooterville

macrumors 603
Sep 24, 2012
There are 4 of these cushions in the front shell of the Gen 4 case.

One on each side in the middle of the case (Larger Ones) and one on each top corner (smaller ones)

You can see the gaps in the sides of the original molded case that they are trying to plug up with these rubber patches.

I took my phone out only to see one of these pieces all squashed & bent up. :(

I believe that it just plain sucks how Lifeproof has rigged and glued all kinds of crap into these $80. cases trying to get them to work.

I'm about done with Lifeproof for now and can't wait for the Taktik cases to come out.

My Gen 4 is going back for a refund ASAP.

I'll live with the gimped Gen 3 until I can find something better.

Good Luck.

Pndrgnsvc

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 13, 2008
Georgetown, Texas
Thanks for your thoughts, Hooterville.

In short: I called LifeProof and asked them to send me the appropriate drawing. They advised that it was easier just to send a new case at no cost and that when I returned the old case, it was ok to keep the "accessories" used with the ear buds.

RMA data instantly arrived. Decent service, but you're right, if the design is right, it need not be kluged together.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.