Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion

Old Dec 19, 2012, 10:00 AM   #1
ddublu
macrumors 6502a

Moving from Exchange/Outlook to Gmail for corp email

Looking to make this move as I have had enough of my MBP dragging ass due to outlook's resources. I have about 5k emails in inbox but couple 100k email in offline folders on my MBP. I'd just want to start with inbox before exporting everything else. I use calendar, contacts and notes as well. Best way to set this up?
ddublu is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2012, 12:25 PM   #2
heehee
macrumors 68020

I use Apple Mail for exchange. I hate Outlook.
heehee is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2012, 12:26 PM   #3
ddublu
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by heehee View Post
I use Apple Mail for exchange. I hate Outlook.
I've tried that and that's not what I am looking for. Per the title, I am looking for advice around moving to Gmail.
Old Dec 19, 2012, 01:31 PM   #4
960design
macrumors 6502a

I don't have any advise to moving to gmail for a corp email.

I do recommend moving to your own email servers. That way you could have something like bob@yourcompany.com. That looks like a company I want to deal with and receive email from.

If you send me a quote request or bill payment request from bob@gmail.com it'll go straight to the trash as spam.

Setting up a email server for your company should cost zero dollars and about 15 minutes. It may take 4 or 5 hours of research if you are doing it.

I'm sorry I couldn't directly help you with gmail as I've never created a gmail account for clients, I have moved many away from gmail though. PM me if you decide to move away from gmail and I'll save you 4 hours research.
Old Dec 20, 2012, 04:15 PM   #5
jknight8907
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by 960design View Post
I don't have any advise to moving to gmail for a corp email.

I do recommend moving to your own email servers. That way you could have something like bob@yourcompany.com. That looks like a company I want to deal with and receive email from.

If you send me a quote request or bill payment request from bob@gmail.com it'll go straight to the trash as spam.

Setting up a email server for your company should cost zero dollars and about 15 minutes. It may take 4 or 5 hours of research if you are doing it.

I'm sorry I couldn't directly help you with gmail as I've never created a gmail account for clients, I have moved many away from gmail though. PM me if you decide to move away from gmail and I'll save you 4 hours research.
It's easy to use Gmail to run your own domain name email. i.e., bob@company.com, but Gmail is hosting and running the email.
jknight8907 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2012, 12:08 PM   #6
prostuff1
macrumors 65816

I use google apps (the free version before they shut it down) to manage all my email address. The "nicknames" feature in google apps is very nice.
Old Dec 21, 2012, 12:10 PM   #7
ddublu
macrumors 6502a

You use it for exchange email?
Old Dec 21, 2012, 12:25 PM   #8
prostuff1
macrumors 65816

No, I use it for my email. No exchange involved.

i end up with a:
myname@mycompany.com email address that works and acts just like an @gmail.com account.

It works great, I can manage it, sync calendars, contacts, etc with the other accounts under the account.

MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion