Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion > Apple, Industry and Internet Discussion

Old Dec 20, 2012, 11:20 PM   #1
ECUpirate44
Banned

Copyright infringement college apartments

Hey guys, I have a roommate (really do) who likes to download illegally. It just so happens that I pay the Internet and cable bill and he pays utilities and then another pays the water. So if he were to get caught, it's technically in my name. I've asked him to stop and he has, but the damage has already been done with 129GB worth of downloaded movies. My question what's the likelyhood it can be traced back to my specific apartment? I'm sure it could be traced to the apartment complex, but not sure about my apartment. Any insight would be appreciated.
ECUpirate44 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2012, 11:25 PM   #2
jav6454
macrumors G5

It can be tracked via IP and linked directly to a computer. Don't worry, you may have the Internet bill under your name, but if its not your device that holds infringing material there is little reason to target you. Just password protect your Wi-Fi so no one outside your roommate or you can use it to further cover yourself.
Old Dec 20, 2012, 11:28 PM   #3
ECUpirate44
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jav6454 View Post
It can be tracked via IP and linked directly to a computer. Don't worry, you may have the Internet bill under your name, but if its not your device that holds infringing material there is little reason to target you. Just password protect your Wi-Fi so no one outside your roommate or you can use it to further cover yourself.
Okay, there's a chance everyone on the floor may have the same IP though.
ECUpirate44 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion > Apple, Industry and Internet Discussion