Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

browerjs

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 25, 2011
Since I'm getting sucked into the Apple ecosystem more and more (iPhones, iPad, MacBook), I'm thinking about getting rid of my Netgear NeoTV550 and switching to an AppleTV for streaming purposes.

Currently all my BluRays are ripped to movie only ISO, so it is my understanding that I will have to convert all of these to mp4. Is there any free software that does this (BDISO->MP4) directly w/o intermediate steps, or do I need to buy something like DVDFab.

I have all my content stored on a Netgear ReadyNAS, but it is my understanding that I have to have iTunes open to use the AppleTV. No streaming directly from the ReadyNAS. If iTunes is open on my MacBook, does it actually stream from the NAS to my MacBook to the ATV, or does it go directly from the NAS to the ATV, and just use iTunes for the location information? My ATV would be hardwired, so I'd like to minimize the WiFi. If I start streaming with iTunes open and someone is using the MacBook and shuts the lid, will the streaming stop?

I have no real interest in buying an ATV2 and jailbreaking.

mic j

macrumors 68030
Mar 15, 2012
Since I'm getting sucked into the Apple ecosystem more and more (iPhones, iPad, MacBook), I'm thinking about getting rid of my Netgear NeoTV550 and switching to an AppleTV for streaming purposes.

Currently all my BluRays are ripped to movie only ISO, so it is my understanding that I will have to convert all of these to mp4. Is there any free software that does this (BDISO->MP4) directly w/o intermediate steps, or do I need to buy something like DVDFab.

I have all my content stored on a Netgear ReadyNAS, but it is my understanding that I have to have iTunes open to use the AppleTV. No streaming directly from the ReadyNAS. If iTunes is open on my MacBook, does it actually stream from the NAS to my MacBook to the ATV, or does it go directly from the NAS to the ATV, and just use iTunes for the location information? My ATV would be hardwired, so I'd like to minimize the WiFi. If I start streaming with iTunes open and someone is using the MacBook and shuts the lid, will the streaming stop?

I have no real interest in buying an ATV2 and jailbreaking.
If your ISO's have been decrypted, you can go directly to HB. You will then probably want to tag your files. I use Subler (free and a very good product).
You cannot stream directly from the NAS.
If the lid on the MBP is shut, streaming will stop.

mic j

macrumors 68030
Mar 15, 2012
You can check out this article:
http://kb.netgear.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/18/~/how-to-setup-itunes-streaming-server-on-readynas?

If you don't mind setting up Firefly on your ReadyNAS you may be able to stream from it.
Only streams music.

Homesharing is needed for video streaming and there is no NAS that I am aware of that supports Homesharing. There are other recent threads about this very subject and no one has yet come up with an NAS that will run iTunes that supports video.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.