Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ubele

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 20, 2008
I just upgraded from an iPhone 4 to an iPhone 5. I take a lot of photos with my iPhone, but I'm always nervous when I'm leaning over a bridge, railing, river, or other location where one slip could send my iPhone to oblivion. I vowed that my next iPhone case would have a connector where I could attach a wrist strap or lanyard when I'm taking photos. An extensive search last night revealed only one case that fits this description. I'm not wild about the design, and there are no user reviews posted about how well the case works. I'm puzzled that there aren't more options available, because I'd think that lots of people would like the option of clipping on a strap. If anyone knows of any such cases, plese post links. I don't mean purse-like cases that you have to take your iPhone in and out of; I mean something minimalist like the Belkin Grip Candy or Griffin Graphite Form that protects the iPhone from scratches but doesn't add bulk.

It also occurred to me that modifying an existing case with a strap connector shouldn't be that difficult, either by drilling a hole or using super glue. Has anyone done this? I'd rather go with a tried-and-true method than botching it because I didn't think of something beforehand.

darky90

macrumors member
Oct 30, 2012
I haven't seen anything impressive on the market yet for adding a lanyard to iphone5, but I remember a while ago, I saw on youtube that this person had a loop installed where the charging port is for her iphone4. Basically, she unscrewed the 2 screws by the charging port, added a metal loop attachment and then screwed the 2 screws back in. The loop was also fixed/bent in a way where it won't prevent from charging. I thought it was a very ingenious idea. Perhaps you can do a DIY. The video wasn't a tutorial or anything of how to do it. Her phone was in the video and I happen to see it and I thought it was so cool, and sorry, but I can't seem to find that video anymore.

ARSkemp

macrumors 6502
Feb 2, 2011
The Caze ThinEdge seems to have a couple small holes designed for a lanyard. I haven't actually tested it though.

Ubele

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 20, 2008
Thanks. I'll check out the YouTube video and the Caze case. I did come across a bracket for sale that is similar to the loop you describe: you remove the two bottom screws from your iPhone and use them to secure the bracket. At $35 for the bracket, though, with no case included, it seems overly expensive. I imagine, though, that you could drill two holes in any sturdy-enough case, loop a piece of thin but tough cord through it, and attach a lanyard to the cord.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.