Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

ipad_mini_hand-150x184.jpg
CNET reports on a research note from RBC Capital Markets analyst Doug Freedman claiming that Apple appears to be accelerating its plans for the second-generation iPad mini, although it remains unclear when Apple is looking to launch the device.
RBC Capital Markets analyst Doug Freedman -- who is in China visiting chip companies this week -- offered this ambiguous Apple note: "iPad Mini Gen-2: Apple's gen-2 iPad mini is getting pulled-in, and is likely to have several new suppliers, with TXN gaining content."

"Pulled in" would seem to imply that Apple is moving up introduction of the next iPad Mini. That would be helpful if we knew when the gen 2 Mini was actually slated to ship in the first place. As the current iPad Mini is still in short supply, we may be getting a little ahead of ourselves.
Apple introduced the iPad mini just under two months ago, and the company is still quoting one-week shipping estimates for new orders through its online store as supplies are expected to remain tight into 2013.

One of the most significant criticisms of the iPad mini has been the lack of a Retina display as found on the full-size iPad and on smaller devices like the iPhone and iPod touch. There has been a fair amount of discussion about just when Apple will add a Retina display to the iPad mini, depending on when technology allows the company to include the feature without too much in the way of price, size, or weight concessions. One rumor has claimed that Apple will indeed be including a Retina display in the next-generation iPad mini rather than waiting for a third-generation model at a later date.

Article Link: Analyst Says Apple Accelerating Plans for Next-Generation iPad Mini Launch

Ryth

macrumors 68000
Apr 21, 2011
Good. I'm waiting for the retina display to consider purchasing one.

Same. Basically only thing holding back most people is the lack of Retina. Get that and it's pretty much game over for the Kindle HD.

nuckinfutz

macrumors 603
Jul 3, 2002
Middle Earth
I'm ok with a faster release cycle if the supply chain can handle it. I'd like to see the cost of cellular shrink. I don't think that BoM+markup of cellular hardware should equate to a $130 premium in 2013.

So Retina and cheaper LTE and i'm a happy camper.

Eriamjh1138@DAN

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2007
BFE, MI
My wife wants one. I told her, "why when we have an ipad2 already ?" She agreed. I told her when they get faster or a better screen.

BC2009

macrumors 68020
Jul 1, 2009
Good. I'm waiting for the retina display to consider purchasing one.

If it had the A6 rather than the two-year-old A5 then I would consider buying one for Christmas. I think the A5 is a bit long in the tooth for a new purchase that I plan to hold on to for a couple of years. I can't see many apps running well on A5 in two years given the performance increase in the A6. The A5 is the last of the Apple chips based on the off-the-shelf ARM architectures and the A6 represents the first of the custom Apple-designed chips.

I am expecting new iPad models in the summer before the "back to school" event (maybe by WWDC). I plan to:

1) Sell my 64GB Verizon iPad 3

2) Buy a discounted 16GB WiFi iPad 4 since it will work with my existing accessories like keyboard, smart cover, and case. I will use this iPad 4 for writing and for the family.

3) Either buy a 64GB 4G iPad 5 or iPad mini 2 for myself and get some new accessories. The choice here will depend on the mini having a great processor and a retina display.

jgdeschamps

macrumors 6502
Dec 18, 2012
I actually got one (WiFi 32GB model) last Saturday after comparing it to the iPad 4. I didn't see any annoying diference in performance between the two of them when I used the demo versions side by side, and the retina display is not a that big a deal -at least for me. Its portability, usability and looks are what made me opt for it... it's a great device.

smulji

macrumors 68030
Feb 21, 2011
If it had the A6 rather than the two-year-old A5 then I would consider buying one for Christmas. I think the A5 is a bit long in the tooth for a new purchase that I plan to hold on to for a couple of years. I can't see many apps running well on A5 in two years given the performance increase in the A6. The A5 is the last of the Apple chips based on the off-the-shelf ARM architectures and the A6 represents the first of the custom Apple-designed chips.

I am expecting new iPad models in the summer before the "back to school" event (maybe by WWDC). I plan to:

1) Sell my 64GB Verizon iPad 3

2) Buy a discounted 16GB WiFi iPad 4 since it will work with my existing accessories like keyboard, smart cover, and case. I will use this iPad 4 for writing and for the family.

3) Either buy a 64GB 4G iPad 5 or iPad mini 2 for myself and get some new accessories. The choice here will depend on the mini having a great processor and a retina display.

"If it had the A6 rather than the two-year-old A5 then I would consider buying one for Christmas."

I completely agree. As nice as the Retina display is, the form factor and the sheer mobility of the device are bigger pluses, for me personally. Had Apple put in the A6 and 1GB of RAM I would've jumped on it instantly.

camnchar

macrumors 6502
Jan 26, 2006
Got one for Christmas, still waiting to see whether the screen is as big an issue as reviewers have made it. If so, I'll sell it when the Retina screen comes out.

I still think the price on this Mini with an 18 month old processor and non-Retina screen should have been $299.

nuckinfutz

macrumors 603
Jul 3, 2002
Middle Earth
Got one for Christmas, still waiting to see whether the screen is as big an issue as reviewers have made it. If so, I'll sell it when the Retina screen comes out.

I still think the price on this Mini with an 18 month old processor and non-Retina screen should have been $299.

I've learned long ago that the tech press gloms onto some missing feature and it becomes all they want to talk about.

Retina display for the mini is appealing to some but the numbers are far less than what we read about. When Apple delivered Retina display it wasn't because the general populace was clamoring for better screens.

I think Retina is important in the long term because web and software design is becoming more complex and rich but Retina isn't a dealbreaker for many. In fact weight was far more of an issue for many of my friends and family that wanted an iPad for reading.

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
The Mini demands low price, high battery life, and a small LIGHT battery. Retina (and the associated GPU power needed) goes against all of those.

And all that will be solved! I want it bad. But I expect it’s a 12-18 month solution, not a 6-month solution. The next Mini will not be retina, I don’t expect. Would love to be wrong!

When it does happen, I expect the non-retina Mini to remain as well, at a new lower price point, as Apple has done with the iPad and iPhone.

Lucky bum! I’m really tempted by a Mini + keyboard-screen-cover (some on Amazon are well-reviewed) for certain tasks. But I demand 128 GB or I won’t replace my current iPad.

But if the Mini today had the faster chip and display you want, it would either be thicker and heavier or get worse battery life. Apple’s choice of chip and display will give you real benefits, so enjoy them!

Later, you’ll be able to get the display/chip you (and I) dream of AND have today’s same battery life... but of course, even faster chips will be out then. There’s no escaping that for a given battery size, a faster chip gives you fewer hours, and therefore the Mini will not likely ever get the fastest chip: it would be the wrong choice for the device.

Last edited:

Ryth

macrumors 68000
Apr 21, 2011
I've learned long ago that the tech press gloms onto some missing feature and it becomes all they want to talk about.

Retina display for the mini is appealing to some but the numbers are far less than what we read about. When Apple delivered Retina display it wasn't because the general populace was clamoring for better screens.

I think Retina is important in the long term because web and software design is becoming more complex and rich but Retina isn't a dealbreaker for many. In fact weight was far more of an issue for many of my friends and family that wanted an iPad for reading.

For many it really is the deciding factor.

Again, I think the 1st gen iPad Mini was the 'test' run and early adopter to see the interest. It's there so the 2nd gen will have the bells and whistles...faster processor (A6) and graphics chip and retina. If it has retina it's going to need it.

Mac-Mariachi

macrumors regular
Jan 29, 2002
Monterrey, Mexico
Darn!

Well, I kind of expected the iPad mini 2 to have the Retina Display but I had to buy two minis as Christmas gifts, one for my beautiful daughter and one for my mom. I´m sure they´ll love it with or without the RD.

I can wait for mine to have the Retina Display :D

b11051973

macrumors 6502
Apr 8, 2006
I love my mini. I went from an iPad 3 to the mini. I noticed the lack of retina immediately, but I'm used to it now and don't notice. I use the mini way more than the bigger iPad just because it is so convenient.

Going to my parents for Xmas this weekend. My niece loves to play with my iDevices. Can't wait to see her reaction when she asks to play with my iPad and I hand over the mini. :)

lazyrighteye

Contributor
Jan 16, 2002
Denver, CO
Display resolution was the lone factor preventing my purchase.
Happy to wait.

Side note: any word on how black iPad minis are holding up compared to black iPhone 5s? From my casual observation, the minis seem less prone to scratching - for whatever reason(s).

fabian9

macrumors 65816
Nov 28, 2007
Bristol, UK
Hey! I'm an analyst! Listen to me!

In all seriousness, when was the last time one of these so called "analysts" got anything right that was Apple related?

tbjohn

macrumors newbie
Dec 19, 2012
Well, I really don't think it's necessary to use retina display for the given size for normal use. If Apple include retina on the 2nd version of mini, probably the cost will go high. Even current mini is a bit pricy. My only wish is for them to make the screen ratio as 16:10 not4:3 .

Last edited:

Lancer

macrumors 68020
Jul 22, 2002
Australia
I like the Mini, who needs retina when the Mini is half the weight and much easier to hold in one hand (sorry that sounded dirty and a little self self-demeaning LOL)

Anyway the Mini would do all I need at a lower price, retina would be nice but I don't need it if they can cut the price in the next model. Which I'll have to wait for as I just spend all my money on a new 27" iMac.

nuckinfutz

macrumors 603
Jul 3, 2002
Middle Earth
For many it really is the deciding factor.

Again, I think the 1st gen iPad Mini was the 'test' run and early adopter to see the interest. It's there so the 2nd gen will have the bells and whistles...faster processor (A6) and graphics chip and retina. If it has retina it's going to need it.

Yup. This was the test model and it's delivered some loud and clear results.

a) the market for lightweight sub 8" tablets is there
b) Apple products still command a premium
c) more supplier relations will have to be created to increase production

I think the current iPad mini is priced to slot in a retina display (potentially) with revision II. It's really going to come down to companies like AU Optronics, Sharp, LG and more. Can they deliver adequate quantities of lower power retina displays? I think they can.

illegalprelude

macrumors 68000
Mar 10, 2005
Los Angeles, California
Hey! I'm an analyst! Listen to me!

In all seriousness, when was the last time one of these so called "analysts" got anything right that was Apple related?

Exactly. This is so ludicrous to assume a new iPad mini is around the corner with the first once being released 2 months ago. This is like the crazy talk of the iPhone 5S being launched soon. Nope, iPhone 5S will come out in fall and big remake for the mini is a long time away.

Those who point to the 4th gen iPad need to know that it was a minor spec bump and not a true next device. Come now people, nothing to see here.

Nunyabinez

macrumors 68000
Apr 27, 2010
Provo, UT
Well, I really don't think it's necessary to use retina display for the given size for normal use. If Apple include retina on the 2nd version of mini, probably the cost will go high. Even current mini is a bit pricy. My only wish is for them to make the screen ratio as 16:10 not4:3 .

It really depends on how you use it. If you watch movies and play games and a few other productivity apps I agree with you. But I read a lot on my iPad 3 and when I opened up a document on the iPad Mini the text was noticeably pixelated. I could handle a little light reading, but anything serious looks like a headache in the making. But as I said, each person uses their device differently. So, for some retina is meh, for others, it's a deal breaker.

Carmenia83

macrumors 6502
Feb 25, 2012
Im gonna hurry up and get one BEFORE they add a retina display. Retina does nothing but crush battery life. Anybody wanna trade one for my piece of crap iPad 3? lol

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.