Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Mac Basics and Help

Old Dec 19, 2012, 12:56 PM   #1
jim p
macrumors newbie

Finding any kind of compressed file.

Hi,

I've got a 3-million file backup disk with everything from the last 10 years on it. There are several compressed/archived files I want to find, but I can't remember their names, dates, or even the format used on them.

Is there any search app which can find any compressed file, not just, say, zips or rars. I know I could search by name but there are dozens of archive/compression formats [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_archive_formats], and it would take the rest of my life to do it that way.

So, is there a search tool for any and all formats for compressed/archived files? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Jim P
jim p is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2012, 01:01 PM   #2
GGJstudios
macrumors Westmere

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim p View Post
ch tool for any and all formats for compressed/archived files?
No, there's nothing that will search specifically for all known compressed file formats. You'd have to specify what file extensions you're searching for.
GGJstudios is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2012, 01:04 PM   #3
jim p
macrumors newbie

Thanks.

And also, "aarrgh." I hope you are wrong, but I'd bet you're right. Just hoping.

Does seem strange though. You can use various things like Easy Find and Houdah Spot to look for image files, or text files....
jim p is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2012, 01:08 PM   #4
GGJstudios
macrumors Westmere

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim p View Post
And also, "aarrgh." I hope you are wrong, but I'd bet you're right. Just hoping.

Does seem strange though. You can use various things like Easy Find and Houdah Spot to look for image files, or text files....
Even the searches in Finder for "Kind is Movie" or "Kind is Image" doesn't find all file types that could represent such files.
GGJstudios is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Mac Basics and Help